Using G scale and 16mm/ft buildings together

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Using G scale and 16mm/ft buildings together

Post by andymctractor » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi,
saw these two houses next to each other and thought that if they were modelled exactly to scale they would look very wrong as if a G scale building were being used next to a 16mm/ft one.
There is no trick photography here.  I believe the left house was built 1853 or thereabouts and the right house a little later.  However, it looks like the right house has had a relatively modern porch with new size doors to comply with very much later building regs.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 pm

doesn't look right at all looks like its been faked or photo shopped

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:23 pm

jim@NAL:98747 wrote:doesn't look right at all looks like its been faked or photo shopped
I can promise you it isn't faked or photo shopped and neither is it an April fools joke.
If you ever come to Beccles, find the level crossing on Ingate and up the hill on the left are the houses in the photo.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Is that where 'Little and Large' live?

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 am

The "Little Gem" pub in Kent, now sadly out of business. Note the size of the doors ....

Can´t resist the temptation to "improve" things (including 1:1 scale).

Image[/img]

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am

andymctractor:98752 wrote: I can promise you it isn't faked or photo shopped
I have to make a mini confession.   :shock:  I did use Photoshop but only to cover up the house number on the right house.

Also, the pictures of The Kent and North Wales Light Railway always make me want another go at indoor detailed modelling. I still want to continue in the garden but there is much satisfying modelling that cannot be done outside. I will probably use smaller scales though. Brilliant railway.
Regards
Andy McMahon

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:33 am

andymctractor:98758 wrote:
andymctractor:98752 wrote: I can promise you it isn't faked or photo shopped
I have to make a mini confession.   :shock:  I did use Photoshop but only to cover up the house number on the right house.

Also, the pictures of The Kent and North Wales Light Railway always make me want another go at indoor detailed modelling.  I still want to continue in the garden but there is much satisfying modelling that cannot be done outside.  I will probably use smaller scales though.  Brilliant railway.
Thanks for "friendly words" as we say on the continent. Shame that the tree next to the pub is currently stuck into a piece of foam :lol: Since I took that pic, I have done the landscaping but I´ve still got a little way to go ...

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm

I believe you its very strange how different buildings look in comparison to others

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 pm

jim@NAL:98771 wrote:I believe you its very strange how different buildings look in comparison to others
Looking at my layout - you better believe it :roll:

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 pm

I bought a lgb building but as yet no where to fit it and beside a loco it looks ok.
I have a dockside small crane as well but thats O gauge faller crane and bside a loco its a lile small but no noticable

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:05 pm

jay1976:98790 wrote:I have a dockside small crane as well but thats O gauge faller crane and bside a loco its a lile small but no noticable
I bought a Skytrex yard crane from an O gauge circle exhibition and 16 milled it by replacing the jib from the kit with an extended brass tube from my odds and sods box. I also had to extend the supporting rods on the jib but that was fairly straightforward. It is very convincing.
Regards
Andy McMahon

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:31 pm

andymctractor:98803 wrote:
jay1976:98790 wrote:I have a dockside small crane as well but thats O gauge faller crane and bside a loco its a lile small but no noticable
I bought a Skytrex yard crane from an O gauge circle exhibition and 16 milled it by replacing the jib from the kit with an extended brass tube from my odds and sods box.   I also had to extend the supporting rods on the jib but that was fairly straightforward.  It is very convincing.
Photo please :lol:

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 pm

andymctractor:98803 wrote:I bought a Skytrex yard crane from an O gauge circle exhibition and 16 milled it by replacing the jib from the kit with an extended brass tube from my odds and sods box.   I also had to extend the supporting rods on the jib but that was fairly straightforward.  It is very convincing.
Photo please  :lol:[/quote]

Here is the photo of the Skytrex O gauge crane that has been 16 milled as described above.
This photo would be more useful if a 16mm/ft item were placed alongside it for comparison but this crane after adaptation is similar in proportions to the very nice 16 mm/ft crane available from Back 2 Bay 6.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy McMahon

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:10 pm

andymctractor:98833 wrote:
andymctractor:98803 wrote:I bought a Skytrex yard crane from an O gauge circle exhibition and 16 milled it by replacing the jib from the kit with an extended brass tube from my odds and sods box.   I also had to extend the supporting rods on the jib but that was fairly straightforward.  It is very convincing.
Photo please  :lol:
Here is the photo of the Skytrex O gauge crane that has been 16 milled as described above.
[/img][/url]

This photo would be more useful if a 16mm/ft item were placed alongside it for comparison but this crane after adaptation is similar in proportions to the very nice 16 mm/ft crane available from Back 2 Bay 6.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

I´ve got one of the B2Bay6 cranes too. Just need to build it :roll:

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:43 pm

kandnwlr:98991 wrote:I´ve got one of the B2Bay6 cranes too. Just need to build it  :roll:
Hi,
I wrote an article for Garden Rail mag on my build of the B2Bay6 kit. It is on pages 36 and 37 of the May 2011 edition if you have access to old editions and you want to read my article. pm me if you want some more info.

Originally I had the crane secured to a scrap piece of timber but later bought the grounded van from Swift Sixteen and used the base of that for the crane.
Regards
Andy McMahon