Finally.. construction of the Tycroes Narrow Gauge Railway!!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Finally.. construction of the Tycroes Narrow Gauge Railway!!

Post by DickH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Finally after nearly eight months of thinking about it the construction of the Tycroes Narrow Gauge Railway has started!!

The main decision has been to decide whether to go elevated or on the ground. After many hours of reading and watching videos I've decided I wanted a true garden railway rather than a railway in the garden and despite my ageing years its going to be on the ground and landscaped as time goes on.

The garden was a blank canvas with currently the whole garden laid to gravel with a patio, oil tank and a small additional patio area now ready for the already purchased and awaited garden (loco) shed waiting to arrive. The track base is going to be laid on high density concrete blocks and the track raw plugged and screwed (thanks to those who offered me much advice from a previous posting.

Below is a very crude layout and some photos of the footings dug and laid today. Although the garden looked reasonably level and wanting a level track I was amazed to see the variation from the laser and the various amount of base that was needed. Blocks are being laid tomorrow so more photos tomorrow. Currently doing stage 1 - "the dog bone" - station area, sheds and sidings to be stage 2 next month.
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Congratulations Dick..... first steps are the hardest but the decision is made and it all looks good.
The drawing is on screen but the photographs are not. I would be interested in how you are progressing from the pictures please.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Me too Dick. I'm getting very close to breaking ground myself so it will be interesting to follow your efforts and hopefully learn some tips.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Sorry tried the photos again and I keep getting error message during upload - any ideas?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Remember if you have a sloping site you can use that to your advantage to maybe have a raised area which will make loco preparation easier, whilst having other parts at ground level for best realism.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Good Luck Dick.
Get something running and it all flows from there.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:35 pm

would a pair of pointsby the station or just to the left help if running into the shed area otherwise you have to reverse into the shed area,or a triangle junction to the right of the point in the picture

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:12 pm

jay1976:98295 wrote:would a pair of pointsby the station or just to the left help if running into the shed area otherwise you have to reverse into the shed area,or a triangle junction to the right of the point in the picture
Any chance of a sketch of your ideas as I agree the yard is not "user friendly"!!

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:15 pm

laalratty:98289 wrote:Remember if you have a sloping site you can use that to your advantage to maybe have a raised area which will make loco preparation easier, whilst having other parts at ground level for best realism.
Unfortunately there is not that amount of slope - the steaming area will be the loco yard by the shed but even that will only be about 9 - 12 inches high.

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Red bits are what i mean.. and the sidings by the shed would depend on your space you have over there as the curves would be sharp and may be better going straight on parrelel to the shed

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:56 pm

and you could always add later on a few sidings or passing loop any where later one as and when funds allow.. least that way you can get running on he main line

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:21 pm

jay1976:98302 wrote:Red bits are what i mean.. and the sidings by the shed would depend on your space you have over there as the curves would be sharp and may be better going straight on parrelel to the shed

Thanks - I like your idea of sidings parallel to the shed complex

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm

and depending on if the shed is used as a shed a hole cut in the side you could stable rolling stock inside(only do this if its very secure near you)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 pm

top work there well done

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:12 pm

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 pm

looking good .bit of very solid construction looking forward to seeing more progress

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Excellent start Dick.... Blank canvas to work with, you can create whatever you want.
I bet the neighbours are curious?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:41 pm

My that was quick - will you be popping plants in around the shingle bits?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:98397 wrote:My that was quick - will you be popping plants in around the shingle bits?
Have a station area and shunting yard/loco shed area to go in in a few weeks and yes we will then start to landscape - will put rockery type areas in the two loops and create embankments up to the top of the blocks.

Will start to lay the track the weekend then I will be waiting for Geoff to return my two new locos - Roundhouse Silver Lady and a Katie - after he has painted and lined them in "my" livery.

Looking forward to getting many ideas at the show in April! and the forum has been a wonderful help and source of information.