JLR....progress of my railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
BIGNY
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BIGNY » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Well done !
What kind of loco is it ?

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm

A steamplex from IOM
I bought it from ebay as a partial built scratchbuilt model..I added double axle drive and a bit of extra lead weight as it would struggle to pull even 1 mamod wagon before..
its got radio control as well batterys hidden inside the boiler with rc by the bunker and a charging jack point on the chassis,man is from mcdonalds tin tin the captain.

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Done a bit more to my railway..Added the loop wood is laid and is strong enough for 1 year old to walk along as i found out after taking my eyes off her for a minute..

The metal uprights are the remains of a old metal workbench I broke up. They go into the ground which is very firm 3 inchs below the surface its reasonably leval but as its only to be there until we move out(the house in rented so cant lay anything permanant yet with concreate) but once we do find a permanant house then the railway will be cememnted in place much more permantly..
A bit more track also needs to be bought then finally trains can go round the loop.I did work out the diameter of it using settrack then made it a bit bigger so should be fine..

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 pm

jay1976:99896 wrote:Done a bit more to my railway..Added the loop wood is laid and is strong enough for 1 year old to walk along as i found out after taking my eyes off her for a minute..
The metal uprights are the remains of a old metal workbench I broke up. They go into the ground which is very firm 3 inchs below the surface its reasonably leval but as its only to be there until we move out(the house in rented so cant lay anything permanant yet with concreate) but once we do find a permanant house then the railway will be cememnted in place much more permantly..
A bit more track also needs to be bought then finally trains can go round the loop.I did work out the diameter of it using settrack then made it a bit bigger so should be fine..
Looking good. What diameter loop have you got there?

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:36 pm

52" so thats just over 4foot diameter..Will be fine for all my rolling stock..once in a more permanant house(read that as not rented) I would make them a bit bigger but then i would run the trains round the outskirt of the garden with lift out bridge and i have made the straighter sections of this line easily removable and east to relay in another garden..

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 am

Sounds that 4 ft is enough to get your locos round and to have a lot of fun :D

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 am

Mine go round big big curves ok which are sharper than that and will push my rolling stock ok round big big track..
I do have a plan to run round the garden but 4 trees and a shed a bit to close to the fence is stopping that for now as would of been nice to run behind the shed or even into it but as the shed is landlords cant go cutting holes in it just yet..

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Got the loop done today..and i have a bit of folage as well sprang up just before the points,needs just a bit of fttling on 1 bit on the far side as I had to ge ready for work so will atend to the bit of track(just neds a few more screws put in it)

Have only tried with 2 wagons pushed round and except for a small bit that needs a few screws fitted the track seems ok but is a bit sharper than 4 foot in 1 place but will be fine for my rolling stock and hopefully in a few months I can do away with the loop and run round the garden..