Eassie does it

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Eassie does it

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Having cast all those resin doors and windows it would be rude not to start a building. My first station based on the Eassie design for Lydney junction with an Awre station waiting room. I have truncated it to fit the artificial slates and because at nearly 3 foot long it was becoming unwieldy. Construction will follow the same manner as the goods shed. Mr cock up has already come calling as the gents has a lean to roof at one end finishing at the height of the door. I should have allowed for this smaller door when placing the toilet window at the back....the roof level cuts throgh the top pane :( Never mind a bit of filler will cover most of my bodge. There have been some lovely interiors on here but I think these may have some benches for a couple of passengers and no more.
Mr Eassie (or his father) was also responsible for building the pre fabricated hospitals for the Crimean war from an IKB idea. The dark winter nights fly by when your reading Wikipedia.....

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 pm

'ello 'ello 'ello... ;) Lydney Junc and Awre....COMBINED? Looking forward to this, working at one and living only 1/4 mile from the other...
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Are you dry down there Danny or fearing every bore? Awre and Oakle street were the same design but no loos in the building. I'm looking after the ladies. I may do a simple Awre for one of my other stations. This one is going where my window bodge won't show much....

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm

No, one of the large ones a week or so overwhelmed the Awre floodbanks, however it hasn't done since. Minsterworth is the worst of all Severnside towns. :? We went to watch one in Newnham last week, the surfers looked like they were having fun, wouldn't want to be doing it myself though!!

Sorry for the OT.
Dan

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Budget time keeps modelling time to a minimum but some progress has been made. The centre window at the end has been replaced by a chimney and I have opted to scribe a loose interior. The interior should be enough to give an impression under lights at night.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:18 pm

looking good very neat work there

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Looking very nice, keep it up.
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:26 pm

All stuck together last night, roofing tonight but need to cut slates and interior benches first.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Lovely work so far :thumbright:
Dan

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks Dan, I think foamboard is my medium as long as the weather's kind to it. I should be cutting slates but England are on the box....

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:38 pm

I know right, still nil-nil though and appears to be a pretty boring game...might have been more interesting doing your slates... ;)

Sorry for the off topicness...
Dan

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:17 am

This nicer weather eats your time but here's Arthur roof and Victoria nosing into the picture. Mild day, test new loco, go to midlands show or finish roof.....spoilt for choice. :D

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:07 pm

Looking really good, just found this thread - interesting as I'm planning to build one of these buildings in 1:12 scale for my garden line. I've been looking at the drawings of the original short version (one door, one window) with the 45 degree chimney. Many years ago I built Drybrook Road station building in 4mm scale but I really fancy building a large scale one in wood/brick/slate.......... something else to add to the list!!!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm

That's looking lovely!

A few questions if I may?

Could you recommend a source of foamboard?

What do you use for glue and filler?

How do you do the corners on the brickwork, eg that chimney? Do the two sides interlock?

I'm about to be kicked out of the "workshop" I've created at work so woodwork at lunchtimes will probably be out soon (no more carriage building), but I reckon I could find a quiet corner to indulge in some foamboard scribing...

All the best,

Andrew.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm afraid I baulked at a 45 degree chimney and compromised at an end addition. Having done a Speech house Rd goods shed I think these will be a standard design on the old Vale of Fairway.
Materials - the 5mm foam board came from trent plastics on ebay, the 3mm I use for soffits and the goods shed door also came as A3 sheets from ebay but not sure who. The 5mm comes in a variety of sizes so you can choose the length you need.
For solvent I use pipe weld as used by plumbers.
For scribing the shiplap I use a 2.4mm pin punch and a good old fashioned electricians screwdriver for brick. Bricks I space at 5mm and 12mm long. The corners I work on the 5mm thickness being roughly the single brick face and press the end of the long brick to represent the mortar joint. No fillers necessary
I have used cut down plastic 12mm angle to represent the wooden corner members, hides the joints 8) .
to give weight to the buildings I use modern artificial slates for the roof base, about a pound each from Travis P. They will snap like plasticard if scored both sides but not so cleanly.....

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Excellent, thank you!

Just to clarify, where you've got corners in the brickwork you've been able to get away with a simple but joint? I can see that would work where the 5mil thickness of the board is representing the header on every other course but thought the join would be too visible on the stretchers (if I've remembered my brick terminology). No sign of a join on your photos though, brilliant! Does the solvent help hide the join?

Thanks,

Andrew

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:17 am

I am just butting (if that isn't frowned upon in polite society) but I try and fool the eye by adding the vertical mortar joint at the very end of the foamboard. By squaring with a file and a good squidge of glue it doesn't look too bad from 6 feet. Admittedly I need new glasses but I'm happy. When I said no filler a cocktail stick and a hint of glue can help things.

if you can find a way of getting true 90 degree cut with a stanley knife, please let me know. I may try some of the olfa or exacto style cutters at some point.

The chimney was recessed by cutting a 5mm trench with an exacto chisel blade, cautiously!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 am

Very helpful, thank you!

It looks like Staples can get 5mm stuff delivered to their branches, which means I can pick some up one lunchtime, although probably not until April now, I've just depleted the hobby fund with a track purchase...

Andrew.

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 am

Where are the doors from? Self made? Looking at building the Jackson Miniatures Raven Square station building, but they seem to use single doors where the prototype has doubles

Chris
Chris Auckland

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:59 am

SpudUk:97942 wrote:Where are the doors from? Self made? Looking at building the Jackson Miniatures Raven Square station building, but they seem to use single doors where the prototype has doubles

Chris
Self made - cast in resin. Don't know if these would fit as the Jackson doors and window are marginally smaller than 16mm scale sizing.