L & B Ragleth !

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

L & B Ragleth !

Post by Snailrail » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

This is a project which I completed (well, not completely completed, but almost) a while ago and I've been meaning to write about it since I joined.

The story is that I purchased a Ragleth power unit with the intention of building a steam railmotor around it. These vehicles have always fascinated me and, although they were rarely very successful in twelve inch scale, I thought it would be an interesting and unusual model for a garden railway. However, like most commercial 0-4-0 chassis the wheelbase is set well forward in the chassis with a large overhang at the back. This would make it a bit unstable with the weight of a coach hung from the back of it. I did come up with ideas to transfer the weight forward but in the end decided it just wouldn't look right, so shelved that idea.

So what to do with my power unit ? Being an L & B fan I had always liked the Manning Wardles and at the time there were none commercially available - the Accucraft Lew was still expected at some nebulous date way in the future and anyway I prefer the look of the original three locos. So I thought why not make a sort of might-have-been body in the style of the Manning Wardle.

So I took an old Shreddies box and started making cardboard patterns to see what it might look like and eventually ended up with something which I thought looked right. I bought some sheet brass and after many hours of sawing, drilling, filing, rubbing down, soldering, cleaning, tweaking and more filing and rubbing down this is what I ended up with

I must admit I thought it looked so nice in its naked brassiness that it seemed a shame to paint it, especially as I wasn't sure at that stage if I could make an acceptable job of it. But it had to be done so here it is in etch primer

At this stage, knowing what space was available, I fitted the radio control gubbins, battery and regulator servo under the floor, receiver, switch and reversing servo in RH side tank

Then the nerve wracking bit began. Having sprayed it all over in Southern dark olive I set to work on the lining using a Peter Spoerer ling pen - after much practising on pieces of scrap first. There were one or two places where it didn't quite go according to plan and needed tidying up a bit but generally I was well pleased with the results. I did the white lines first and, once dry, went round again with a black line outside the white, filling in up to the panel edge with a small brush as I went. After applying the transfers the whole thing was sprayed with varnish. Some satin varnish is a bit too matt for my taste so I used a mixture of gloss and satin.

Here is the end product

I couldn't find a spare unused number in the Southern number series but found no 195 which was originally carried by an O2 class 0-4-4T and became redundant when the loco went to the Isle of Wight. This appears to be how Lew got no 188. Looking for a three letter name that sounded like an L & B name I thought of my daughter Becky whose name gets shortened to Bex in text messages. Perfect !

The only slightly negative side to the whole project is that the design is necessarily tailored round the Ragleth boiler which is quite fat and bulky for a little engine. This makes it seem slightly overscale with L & B stock but all in all I think it's quite a pleasing looking loco and I was well pleased with my first attempt at scratch building a body and painting and lining.

Brian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm

That's brilliant, I love it! A very convincing "might have been"... I'll be following your lining tips too, looks great...

Andrew.

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:03 pm

all i can say is WOW, now if only someone would do a bodykit like this id be tempted by a ragleth!

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:13 pm

http://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/productDe ... oductID=63
How about a set of these to complete the look?

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Wow, that is a seriously good looking loco. I believe Accucraft run a competition at the Peterborough for locos built with their power units, something to consider?

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Cor!

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:07 pm

That is fantastic!
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Brilliant and inspiring.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks folks, glad you like it
paullad1984:96530 wrote:http://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/productDe ... oductID=63
How about a set of these to complete the look?
Actually that's exactly what I had in mind when I said it wasn't completely completed. I was thinking that would be the finishing touch.
williamfj:96531 wrote: I believe Accucraft run a competition at the Peterborough for locos built with their power units, something to consider?
I had that in mind when I started building it but as usual it took a lot longer than expected and the show came and went. I don't know if Accucraft are still running the competition, they have a page of last years entries on their website but I can't see any mention of one this year.

Brian

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:34 pm

GRS do proper L&B cow catchers, but im led to believe they are rather fragile, someone told me the swift sixteen ones are bomb proof!
you've done an excellent job there, and i must say with the addition of some Brandbright L&B vac pipes, cowcatchers and accucraft square headed couplings i feel certain you'd win every prize you entered for!

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:06 pm

That is quite simply gorgeous, Brian!

I have a DJB coal firing conversion kit for a Ragleth, and the intention is to turn it out in a similar paint scheme.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Love it, you made a really nice job of that, one to be proud of.
I find that lining with these pens easier to do with a black edging, takes longer but you have a bit more leeway

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 pm

A handsome well proportioned loco, and what a superb paint and lining job. You must be well pleased.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Pilton Yard Pilot!

What a wonderful model in it's own right. I love the proportions of the Ragleth, it's something I aspire to owning one day, I couldn't see how it's proportions could be improved on but you've definitely managed to do so. Being Southern and L&B to boot is the icing on the cake.

Very well done indeed.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Possibly someone with who wanted to could design a simular body for a lady anne....

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Of all the Edrig/Ragleth conversions I've seen, this has to be my favourite :)

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks again everybody for the kind comments.

I am thinking now that when I have time for a new project I might buy some more brass and have a go at producing an alternative body for my Accucraft Lew to convert it into one of the original locos. But I must finish my coaches first.

Brian

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 pm

i wonder if there would be a market for a bodykit for a ragleth to L&B conversion, i know id have one!

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Very impressive sir... Like this a lot. Bodywork is exquisite. What a very ingenious way to make a locomotive on a reachable budget compared to the off the shelf accy counterpart which is out of reach for most 16 millers!

My only comment would be maybe tone down the footplate. (But I'm a funny dear)

Love to see it in action with some l&b stock.
#projectRoundhouseBilly

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:33 am

looks top notch!