Your buildings!

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Your buildings!

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Please post pictures here of your buildings, so we can all see them. I'm sure there are some amazing things out there!
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 pm

As I posted on the building scales topic here is my halt building. It is based on Snapper Halt on the Lynton and Barnstaple railway. Its the only building I have built so far.
Colin

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:39 am

The platform lights look a LITTLE over-scale...........................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Same. Maybe you need to read that scale forum again :lol:

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:04 pm

I keep moving them. They seem to keep ending up back tjere though. I need to sort some proper lamps this year.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Why don't you dismantle 'em and use the "guts" to power scale platform lights?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm

MDLR:95986 wrote:Why don't you dismantle 'em and use the "guts" to power scale platform lights?
Now theres an idea.!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:58 pm

MDLR:95986 wrote:Why don't you dismantle 'em and use the "guts" to power scale platform lights?
Also, those support columns look wide enough to hold at least a couple of AA or AAA batteries to power your bulbs/leds rather than depending on the solar stuff.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:10 pm

anyway, back to buildings...

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm

heres some of mine

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Some of my early kit constructions. We've now got lots more but not got the photos suitable for the forum till later in the summer, I hope.

Unfinished jigstones cottages. Not strictly a kit but nearly.

The shelter on the left is now at Crowfoot Station but the signal box is from Bramley Bank Station.

Interior of Bramley Bank signal box.

Breakfast on the go at Bramley Bank signal box.

This building was originally Crowfoot Station building but now is at Bramley Bank

Bramley Bank Station from the air. The large island platform can be clearly seen.

Hope these are ok and helpful to someone.
This summer I will endeavour to photograph the railway and buildings in a more organised way.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Those buildings look great. I particularly like the cottage. Are the stones moulded in concrete? Are the walls a one piece mold for each wall or groups of stones?
Best wishes
Colin

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Colinjamesporter:96018 wrote:Those buildings look great. I particularly like the cottage. Are the stones moulded in concrete? Are the walls a one piece mold for each wall or groups of stones?
Best wishes
Colin
Hi Colin, the cottages are made from Jigstones which is a system of moulds the concrete or cement castings from which can be used as you see fit to make a variety of buildings and structures. The moulds are expensive but if you look after them they last. Also, making the castings is very messy and time consuming. The moulds can be purchased from Back 2 Bay 6. If you do buy some of these buy the stone or slate ones and avoid the brick ones as they are very fiddly to get to look correct.
In the photo top left of the cottages you can see the inside wall and there see the outline of some of the castings. The 'stone' surface in the photo is yet to be grouted after which it looks much better.
There are some instructional videos made by the guy who invented the system but I can't remember where the links are.
Hope this helps.

A couple of more photos of jigstone buildings and structures on the CLR

The small hut is an example of a very small building that can be made from jigstones. The hut is located on top of a block of concrete I put in to support the nearby fence. I also faced off the concrete block with jigstones. These structures stay out 365 day a year and are 3 years old.

The water tower is another jigstones structure. On this occasion it was placed for photographing and this is not where the structure will normally be placed. This structure is only placed out for steam ups and open days and when I feel like it.
Regards
Andy McMahon

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:25 am

Most of mine in one shot!

From the left:
'Lawnpath Bridge' -scratchbuilt from ali and removeable
Brick wall at the back - scratchbuilt from foamboard. One day I plan  a low relief building ( factory type?) to sit behind it against the summer house T&G wall.
'Manole Mill' - GRS kit of Lacey Green windmill.  Direct solar powered, the sails turn when the sun comes out!
Parapet wall visible behind the mill is small tiles cemented back to back.
Platform  fencing - Peco O gauge track fixed to posts.
'Elderbury' station building - A resin kit, with quite a few modifications. Some because I had to, to make it go together properly and some because I wanted to.
Phone box - a cheapy e-bay money box with added interior detail.
Road overbridge - scratchbuilt from foam- board. I've discovered that the birds like eating the parapets, no idea why! ( presumably actually getting at the little gribblies living in the foam texture).

'Appletree Halt' - platform built from Foamex type sheet , shelter scratchbuilt from styrene sheet.
Philip

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:40 pm

These are all masterpieces! I'm inspired

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:13 am

Anymore?

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:19 am

Here is a pic of my small station building on the PHRy.

The prototype of the station is from a norwegian line "Urskog-Hølandsbanen" - a 750mm light railway just a few miles north of Oslo.

The station is made of 3mm and 5mm ply. The walls are made of 3mm ply covered with coffee stirers. Windows are made of G-scale-frames from Piko. One door is finished and the last is to come. Now there is access to the building for mice and other creatures in my garden.

The roof is covered with sheets of roof-shingles. It's hard to show the roof at this time of year. ;)
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:27 pm

There are some lovely buildings on this thread, inspiring stuff...

My buildings are all temporary at the moment - I used them on my old line but on my new, Welsh Highland-inspired, railway they'll be replaced by more appropriate structures when I get round to it.

Here's my current station building:

It's a plastic toy based on the Koala Brother's children's TV programme. I don't think it's still available - it cost me a fiver in a discontinued range at Argos! The photo's of my old line, the building's at the other end of the garden now.

My other station building was intended as a temporary measure even on my old line but will probably make a brief reappearance until I build some proper structures:

It's an Early Learning Centre station with little more work than a coat of paint - the clock is actually to be found at Paddington real life! As I say, very temporary, but I'm afraid I do rather like it...

My only other building is this PWay hut, knocked up out of plywood and weathering nicely after 7 or 8 years outside:

I don't know whether the old WHR actually had any lineside huts anything like that one, I've never seen any photographic evidence that they did - but they did use the grounded bodies of old Ffestiniog 4 wheeled Ashburys. That is intended as the eventual fate of these two:

They were built with every intention of being grounded and turned into huts after a short time, a twisted kind of realism. I don't know whether I'll actually ever bring myself to do it though...

New buildings will be on the way soon-ish I hope, inspired by some of the threads on this forum...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Rather then ground the two coaches, could you not attempt to copy the bodies and ground those instead? They do look too nice to ground
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:08 pm

I agree with laal ratty, they're a lovely pair of vehicles. They deserve to be run!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"