Operation Multi Purpose

What is your latest project?
Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Operation Multi Purpose

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Right, so as you all probably know by now I’m good at thinking of projects and starting them, but I never seem to get around to finishing them! :lol:

Many of you may have seen my post RE: Laser Cutting and the Scaling up of 7mm Drawings, (which I see also helped another member) and this finally gave me a big kick up the backside to start one of the big projects I have wanted to do for a little while, and would hopefully be a big learning curve at the same time. It wasn’t what I was originally going to do Project Wise as my original plan was to design and build a FfR Funkey to go with the rest of my stock which is slowly increasing in size, but I found this too complex having only just started out with the software coupled with it being the first stuff I'd done in CAD in years!! So I went for Option 2 which wouldn't be as complex (however I'm not saying that now after designing it though!)

The plan was to build a Multi-Purpose Vehicle which can, as its name suggests, undertake many different roles depending on the Modules fitted to it. There was also a requirement to be able to extend the unit as required and also be able to work in multiple with other units.

So after a bit of discussion with another Forum Member regarding Laser Cutting, I began to draw up a plan in LibreCAD and after a lot of frustration and swearing at the computer :roll: along with some help and advice the plan soon came together, a few obvious mistakes were ironed out it was sent off to be cut.

The parts arrived promptly within a couple of days and the Prototype was soon together, however I found a few places where I had gone wrong (solebar tabs 3mm out, cab front tabs to small etc.) but it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be changed easily ready for the Mk2 Version.

So here are a few pictures to get you started.

After a weekend of tinkering and getting everything changed and adding extra bits the plans have been sent off again to be cut.

More to follow when I have it. :D

(Thanks go to Mike, Luke, Jack and Simon for your help advice and services) :lol:
Cheers Tom

The Denying Dutchman
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Operation Multi Purpose

Post by The Denying Dutchman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Tom:87189 wrote:Right, so as you all probably know by now I’m good at thinking of projects and starting them, but I never seem to get around to finishing them!  :lol:
That seems to be a universal law in model building of any sort. I've got more projects in mind and on the shelf that I've got to reach an age of at least 150 to complete them all! :lol:

As for the project in this thread: I have the feeling that a crane is involved else I have no clue what you're building.
Paul

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:39 pm

I love the shape of that. I've got a pair of lgb cargo sprinters that I can't bear to sell. Hadn't thought of a crane conversion, tamiya hiab possibly.
Bazzer42

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Looks great, can't wait to see a finished version :)
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Operation Multi Purpose

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 pm

The Denying Dutchman:87193 wrote:
Tom:87189 wrote:Right, so as you all probably know by now I’m good at thinking of projects and starting them, but I never seem to get around to finishing them!  :lol:
As for the project in this thread: I have the feeling that a crane is involved else I have no clue what you're building.
I had thought about a crane module, but didn't know where to start design wise, or what was available, but I'm sure a bit of market research won't go amiss! If your still none-the-wiser then google 'Network Rail MPV's' then you'll soon know what I'm talking about/thinking along the lines of :lol:

I put the first coat of paint on the Prototype/testbed earlier to see what it looks like, and I must say it looks great. I can't wait till the postman delivers the Mk2 Version!
Cheers Tom

The Denying Dutchman
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by The Denying Dutchman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Never saw an MPV train before, as far as I know the Dutch railways don't have these kind of trains.
Paul

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi All,

Now that the 2 week busy period is over and done with, it was time to get the MPV Mk2 Components out of the box again for a closer look and have a quick slot together to see what still requires work.

The overlays were cut out as well but require a little more work yet, along with a minor change to the sides.

So here is a mock up to give you an idea of how its looking at the moment: (Don't forget that there will be 2 of these back to back with a wagon in between too) This unit is fitted with a Ballast Module which still requires work also.

As said above there are a still a few changes that I want to make, one being those rear handrails, they are too chunky and will now be resized to 5mm thick, along with some alterations to the power bogie.
Cheers Tom

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm

This gets better and better, please keep posting!
Bazzer42

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi All,

I suppose its time for another update;

So now that the minor problems have been sorted out I have started to glue together the components for the first unit. Here's some photos showing the construction and then a mock up of the two units together.

Floor and Solebars:

Front Buffer Beam:

Rear Buffer Beams and Handrail:

Cab Back:

Cab Sides:

2 Units together: Newest Variant at the Front with the Older unit at the back, but using the new handrail for a comparison.

Enjoy,

Tom
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi All,

I glued on the cab side/back overlays yesterday along with applying a couple of coats of white primer to the sides. Here's a few photos:

Cheers Tom

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:56 pm

looking good I like it lots

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks Jim and Bazzer!!

I have managed to make some more progress on this over the weekend so here are some photos of it as it was at Lunch in between the grotty weather.

Enjoy!
Cheers Tom

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:17 pm

The weather is grotty its coming on nice paintwork!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 pm

It reminds me of the Bure Valley's Green Bat

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/bureva ... 371784837/
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi All,

Thanks Methssniffer and Zach for your comments and the link!

Progress has been slow these last few days as work and other commitments have all got in the way.

Anyway, the postman has been delivering a stream of Parcels in the last couple of days, first of all the second unit arrived, then today the centre wagon and the modules also arrived.

Here's some more pictures:

The two units side by side:

Centre Wagon:

The whole train together, its just shy of being a metre long:

The new and improved ballast module, these are the main 3mm parts excluding the 1.5mm overlays.

The Water Tank Module 3mm pieces also excluding the 1.5mm overlays.

The Water Tank Module, I plan to fit some lights down the side as the real MPV's do, the electrics for this can be hidden in here as the tank will be removable.

Handrails:

Module feet to attach to the Units deck.

Some photos of the module fitted on the back of the unit.

Tom
Cheers Tom

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Wow this excellent keep up the good work!
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Seen on ebay thought it might interest you

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi All!

Thanks L and B mad and Methssniffer - I had seen that but didn't really catch my eye :?

Here's a bit more progress from over the weekend -sorry for the quality of the photos, I grabbed them quickly before the light went too much!

As you will see I managed to fit the light clusters to Unit 1 along with the headlight surround to help add a bit of depth and detail to the front of the unit. I did find one problem whilst fitting them though and that is as follows: The coupling is currently in line with the bottom of the light clusters so this will be packed out to leave enough room for it when coupling up with other units, should be a quick fix :D

So as you can see tonight's job will be to remove that excess filler from around the light clusters and then give them a couple of coats of primer in readiness for some yellow paint tomorrow!

The rear deck on which the modules sit also got a lick of black paint today with the locating peg tops getting a quick coat of white

The Water Tank Module as it was at the close of play fixed on the back of Unit 1, with the handrail posed in front.

Enjoy
Cheers Tom

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:23 pm

That all looks great Tom, I was wondering how all those little bits fitted together.
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 pm

WVLR:89872 wrote:That all looks great Tom, I was wondering how all those little bits fitted together.
Thanks Mike, it was a mare thinking of an easy way of doing those! turns out one area was about a 1mm too big but that's hidden and was easy to remove so wasn't a problem. I've used the filler to cover up the tabs. I will give it a coat of yellow later, and see what it looks like.  :D
Cheers Tom