Page 1 of 1

De-worming a Faller E-Train motor

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 am
by robc_wa
Hi, seems the only time I ever de-lurk on this forum is to ask a question, however I am in the middle of a conversion project that I may be able to post about, if I can ever actually do it.

I recently bought a Faller E-Train track powered steam outline loco. I am trying to convert it to battery power which means removing the 12 v motor and replacing it with a 3v motor. I do need to try and reuse the brass worm that is attached to the motor. I believe that it is just the usual interference fit, but have been unsuccessful with the classic methods of "Levering off with 2 screwdrivers" and "Drifting out with a steel rod". Since I have now ruined the 12v motor anything now goes. Should I try heating it with a blowtorch for a short while? Anybody ever got one of these thing off? It’s a rather special worm since the non-motor end has a squared socket to connect with a shaft that goes to a further worm driving the front wheels.

This is one time when I wish German engineering wasn't quite so good!!!

TIA

Rob

Faller E-Train

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 am
by Catweasel
I have 3 E-Train chassis converted to battery power and I haven't changed the motor in any of them. One has 4 AA cells under the bonnet and runs fine. Not quick I grant you,but I'm not into speed machines. The other two have 6 cells fitted and all have manual speed controllers. To remove the worm,I would use either a soldering iron held on the end and gently eased off from behind or a worm puller, again with a bit off heat. Doesn't need a lot of heat,just enough to break the bond.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:58 am
by jay1976
I agree with cat weasel both my faller locos are running on 7.2v battery packs they run nice and slow both were 12v track powered....you can buy new worm gears from model shops take the old motor and worm with you and they can match them up.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:23 pm
by Narrow Minded
Image

You'll need a "cat number" though :lol:

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 am
by robc_wa
Thanks All. Worm now off. Heated with soldering iron as suggested, Good thing you steered me away from the blowtorch!!

Didn't try the Drontal :lol:

Didn't think about going 7.2v. This particular model has a weight in the boiler which is EXACTLY the size of 2 C cells, which I took as a cue. I suspect that there is a 3v version around that uses a lot of the same tooling. Faller seem to have been quite clever that way. The power bogie in the playtrain railbus uses a lot of the components of the 0-6-0 chassis

Motor is in the post so should get it changed over next weekend

Rob

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:44 pm
by Chris Cairns
You are correct.

Faller started off with the Hit Train railway range which ran on O gauge track, then introduced it's bigger brother the 2 cell battery powered railway system under the name Playtrain, and the 12v powered railway system under the name E-train.

Externally the difference between the E-train & Playtrain locomotives is the E-Train 12v version have metal rimmed wheels, whereas the Playtrain wheels are plastic with one axle provided with a traction tyre.

Some useful reference websites - http://www.faller-gartenbahn.de.vu/ & http://www.faller-hit-train.co.uk/index.php & http://www.xn--gunnar-grbel-djb.de/html ... train.html

Chris Cairns.