Building a station area

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Building a station area

Post by St.Michael » Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 am

Hi
I have been occupied building a station area here at the Øvj. I´ve been reading Peter Butlers inspiring thread. My solution is a low cost, not as advanced as Peter B´s, but as always I´m in a hurry and want quick results
I started with a simple framework and laid some comercial aluminiumplates that I got from my work, on the top
I have mostely used scrap materials
I´m still building, but the station is now in work and I´m thrilled of all the new possibilitys it gives to make changes to the traindriving
Now I´m building platforms
Michael :D

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sun May 12, 2013 10:13 am

Great work. :thumbright: I like the platform.
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 am

Excellent work.. and much faster than my efforts.
Alluminium seems like a good idea as it should be stable.
Looks like a very useful addition to your line.
Peter.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat May 18, 2013 7:25 am

Hi again.
The station area is now in full use, and what surprised me the most is that it gave so much more value and variation to running trains. Actually I think it´s so funny so it has become a long wait for the trains to come back to the station so I can do some shunting and put together new combinations with wagons and coaches :D :D
The last train for the day has gone...
Michael

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 am

Nice work!
You have done a great job and very quickly. My project has slowed down due to bad weather and a compete mind blank on track plan decision making.
I think I have it now and will post again soon on my thread.
How is your ballast fixed down?

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Sat May 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Exlent job. It looks Scandnavand as I would exspect.
Ian
WLR

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun May 19, 2013 6:31 am

Again: Thank you for kind words about my efforts in building stuff :D
To Peter I have to say that the ballast fixing on the station is a failure :oops:  I tried with my of own mixing with something ready bought called "garden cement" but I added (far to much) gravel and sand so it lost its curing properties. But as I said earlier in this thread: the whole area works just fine,  I just have to check the points, so no loose stones have fallen in between and prevents them from switching. However I´m going to try again sometime and at that time I think of using fine gravel sprayed with thinned outdoor pva.
Michael

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 pm

I like the sound of exterior PVA myself... many alternatives have been thought about and then dismissed on various grounds, e.g. cost, colour, flexibility. If PVA holds for just one season, it is easy and cheap enough to just do it again!
I bet there is someone out there who has the answer....?

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 pm

I do like that hows it goin

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 am

Methsniffer: I really have to confess that some english expressions are difficult to understand for me :?:
Please wright in a more simple way and I´ll answer.. Or maybe the question was to Peter Butler?
Don´t understand..
Regards from Michael

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:59 am

St.Michael:88818 wrote:Methsniffer: I really have to confess that some english expressions are difficult to understand for me :?:
Please wright in a more simple way and I´ll answer.. Or maybe the question was to Peter Butler?
Don´t understand..
Regards from Michael
Translated into a more simple term, he was saying that he liked how the progress was going on the station area :)

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:25 pm

St.Michael:88818 wrote: Please wright in a more simple way and I´ll answer.. Or maybe the question was to Peter Butler?
Don´t understand..
Regards from Michael
Hi Michael,
your English is very good. It is worth remembering that just because someone has English as their first language doesn't mean everything they write is good English.
My second wife was Brazilian and had learned English formally and to a high level. She used to correct my English all the time.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:35 pm

St.Michael:88818 wrote:Methsniffer: I really have to confess that some english expressions are difficult to understand for me :?:
Don´t understand..
Regards from Michael
Sorry hows it going meaning how are you and how is the railway. It all looks very well and I like the construction so far. Don't worry about your english the pictures speak for themselves

Well done

Tres bien !

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Peter Butler:83660 wrote:I like the sound of exterior PVA myself... many alternatives have been thought about and then dismissed on various grounds, e.g. cost, colour, flexibility.   If PVA holds for just one season, it is easy and cheap enough to just do it again!
Hi Peter,
this has been discussed before on this forum and elswhere and there are a number of firmly held views as to what is best.
I have experimented with a short piece of Peco track screwed to a brick that was ballasted with granite chippings held in place using SBR instead of the usual PVA. This has been left in the dampest part of my garden in all weathers and has survived 4 years so far.  It would need a cold chisel and hammer to get the ballast off.   A word of warning has to be that once ballasted using SBR your track had better be where you want it to stay.
I bought my SBR from B+Q but not all branches stock it.

SBR is a builders product but it can be applied to ballast in a similar way to PVA however in large scale work there is no need to add washing up liquid to your water.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:49 pm

I use evostick waterproof pva with scale ballast. It works. It turns white when wet but disappears soon after. First dilute it 2 to one a creamy mix spread benneath track scatter a high grade ballast first then a scale fine mix this helps with adhesion. Level the rails as you lay and tamper

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Well this is sort of funny ;)  At first I thought " I haven´t done anything  on the station lately" But then I remembered my ongoing collecting of small slate-gravel down at Mjøsa (Norways biggest lake)  The railwaymuseum just happens to be situated not to far from the lake, and I have regularely been visiting the museum, and for every visit I have collected a few small plastick buckets with gravel...
I try and show you pictures of "before and after"
Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Not the best of comparing pictures, but the point here is that this has made a big difference to the station area :!:  :!:  
Regards to all

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 pm

andymctractor:88841 wrote:
Peter Butler:83660 wrote:I like the sound of exterior PVA myself... many alternatives have been thought about and then dismissed on various grounds, e.g. cost, colour, flexibility.   If PVA holds for just one season, it is easy and cheap enough to just do it again!
Hi Peter,
this has been discussed before on this forum and elswhere and there are a number of firmly held views as to what is best.
I have experimented with a short piece of Peco track screwed to a brick that was ballasted with granite chippings held in place using SBR instead of the usual PVA. This has been left in the dampest part of my garden in all weathers and has survived 4 years so far.  It would need a cold chisel and hammer to get the ballast off.   A word of warning has to be that once ballasted using SBR your track had better be where you want it to stay.
I bought my SBR from B+Q but not all branches stock it.

SBR is a builders product but it can be applied to ballast in a similar way to PVA however in large scale work there is no need to add washing up liquid to your water.
Having tried both exterior PVA and SBR I would confirm my total agreement with you that SBR is certainly the better of the two and probably cheaper overall, measure for measure..... (where have I heard that before?).
It is a bonding agent for cement mix which stays flexible even when dry. It is also water resistant so repells moisture from penetrating the ballast. (any royalyties would be gratefully received).
Although it appears white on application, it dries clear.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Do you use rowlands mix Michael on your line?
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 am

Lner fan Sam: So far I have used a cement, sand and gravel mixture on the part of the line that runs on the ground. The raised parts, about a third of the line including the station area is gravel sprayed with dilluted outdoor pva. This is an ongoing project and I became quite interested in the "SBR" thing... wonder if they sell it here in Norway?