Burner lighting

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Burner lighting

Post by SapperAnt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

I've not used my "Ragleth" in a good few months and when I lit her up today I had the devil's own job of getting the burner to light and stay lit.

All it wanted to do, with it just cracked open, was to burn in the end of the flu at the smoke box end(!) in a huge fireball. It then went "pop" snapped back to the burner and went out.

I tried adjusting the collar on the burner lest there was not enough air. And it kept doing the same trick.

Halp!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am

Not certain, but you might try it with the burner turned up a bit more than "just cracked open" It seems to me that my (roundhouse) engine lights better with a good twist of the gas regulator, then turned down to "just cracked open" after the flame has popped back. Also the roundhouse engines come with their smokebox doors welded shut (?!) so I always light at the chimney or between the frames at the front where the drain hole is. You might try that on yours with the smokebox shut as well: it might work. Perhaps with the gas only slightly cracked open, the gas stream is not entraining enough air to burn properly at the burner and must mix with air in the open smokebox to burn. Try lighting it with the gas turned up a bit. And keep your face clear in case my advice isn't all that good.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 am

Actually this topic has been re-visited time and time again ad nauseam :roll:
It's been covered so many times in the past that I'm sure you'll find the answer in a flash if you care to either look back at previous posts or, maybe even try the "search" function :wave:

ferrysteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ferrysteam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:19 pm

When you fill it with gas,leave the smokebox door open and turn the gas on for about twenty seconds,don't light it, it lets the liquid gas escape.Leave it for another ten seconds then blow hard into the smokebox,turn the gas on easy while holding a flame in front of the smokebox,it should now light.If the flame stays in the smokebox try turning the gas down,if that doesn't work adjust the air retard ring,it's fiddly but you will get it eventually. :) Close the smokebox door when the flame settles in the firebox.
Helen and Allan of the Frog and Ferret Railway.

GardenSteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by GardenSteamer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm

If your Ragleth lit properly in the past, it could be a piece of dirt has become trapped in the gas nozzle giving the trouble.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 am

I agree with GardenSteamer, remove the jet and do a "reverse blast" (blow gas through the opposite way). This should cure it.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:48 am

Could it be to do with temperature as well. I find a loco is fine at home or in the workshop, but when I arrive at a meet it can somtimes prove difficult to light. Maybe a speck of dirt has been dislodged on the journey or maybe everything is a bit cold this time of year and I use butane which I know can have its problems.
A jet clean sounds a good idea and make sure it's all warmed up and try it again, gas included.