Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Phil.P » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:21 am

Peter,
I spotted AAA and AA rechargeable batteries in the middle of Lidl today..
Not sure if that helps you, or not?

Phil.P

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:31 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:40 pm Meanwhile I have been viewing Greg's multiple Garratt videos with envy and wondering whether I can justify a second Garratt on my line?
Surely the real question is whether you can justify not having a second one? Even a third may be prudent...

Enjoying you work on the KS so far, and very much looking forward to seeing the finished product - the real thing is one of my favourite types of loco...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:56 am

Phil.P wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:21 am Peter,
I spotted AAA and AA rechargeable batteries in the middle of Lidl today..
Not sure if that helps you, or not?

Phil.P
Thanks for the tip Phil, I expect they are of the type to fit in holders etc. so I could possibly use them elsewhere. Unfortunately I am very restricted for space in the narrow boiler of this loco and a pack is the only way to go!
I also opt for the low self discharge batteries as I forget to top-up mine. Past a certain point the fast self discharge batteries are dead!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:35 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:56 am Unfortunately I am very restricted for space in the narrow boiler of this loco and a pack is the only way to go!
Peter, you could try somebody like Strikalite and buy single "tagged" batteries and make up your own packs, thats what I tend to do. Its simple enough to do, I know you tend to shy away from electrical stuff but I'm very sure that you are capable of soldering the tags together, positive to negative, and wrapping some insulating tape around them!
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:43 pm

Strangely enough I only finished doing a welded pack for a friend of mine yesterday. He needed 12 AA batteries on a 2 x 6 arrangement. I have a cheapo, but brilliant battery pack welder from China. There are loads of them, but essentially, you just get normal batteries and "weld" them together. It's the same process that Strikealite etc do. I even made an AA battery stand on a 3D print to use it to weld them together.

This is a more expensive version from Amazon, but it also comes with some nickel strip to weld with. It's extremely good at doing the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CENPEK-Automat ... 96&sr=8-16

All you need then is to solder the connecting wire to the nickel tab, easy peasy.

If Peter needs a battery pack doing, then just drop me a PM.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:49 pm

I have only ever heard good things about Strikalite but never used them before. Having searched their site I see they do have stock of tagged, AAA, low self discharge, 900mAh 'Eneloop' batteries. I think they are more expensive though and have already pre-ordered from Component Shop. I have managed to solder tagged batteries together before with success, but, on another occasion, managed to have one set smouldering and smoking and rapidly taken outdoors to burn itself out..... not concentrating!
I can wait a few days longer as we have no running opportunities planned for some time yet.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:55 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:43 pm

If Peter needs a battery pack doing, then just drop me a PM.
Thanks for your kind offer Steve, your message came in while I was responding to Philip so I think I have things in place now. Component Shop are my go-to suppliers and I buy additional useful parts at the same time. I will try to stock up once batteries become available.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:52 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:31 am
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:40 pm Meanwhile I have been viewing Greg's multiple Garratt videos with envy and wondering whether I can justify a second Garratt on my line?
Surely the real question is whether you can justify not having a second one?

I should have got into so much more trouble during my lifetime.... I'm so easily led!
Greg has also been pressing me to make another Garratt and I have to admit to looking at options.
I do love the small, basic, industrial locomotives, and have several examples already, but.... there is something about the presence of a large steamer to make a comparison between them. I remember seeing the K1 at Tyseley (Birmingham) many years ago whilst awaiting its restoration to full working order, and was so impressed with it then I think that should be the next project.
I do have one silly question though.... From the videos I have seen it appears the water tank (at the front) pivots with its chassis, but the rear tender looks to be rigid with the cab. Does the chassis pivot underneath the fixed tender?

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:26 am

The tender pivots with the chassis.
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/Oq1d-bDaXyg
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:11 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:52 pm I do have one silly question though.... From the videos I have seen it appears the water tank (at the front) pivots with its chassis, but the rear tender looks to be rigid with the cab. Does the chassis pivot underneath the fixed tender?
No, the pivots of a Tassie K class are in the centre of each engine unit wheelbase, while the tanks are fixed to and pivot with the engine units. To carry enough water, both tanks extend over the pivot point. The bunker/water tank at the rear also extends into a recess in the rear of the cab, which may give the impression that the cab and rear tank are one structure.

This scan of part of the K class GA drawing in Wikipedia shows the pivots and cab/bunker arrangement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:K1_drawing.jpg

There are scans of the full set of original TGR K class drawings available in the Australian National Archives if you want to get really carried away........

Regards,
Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:22 pm

Thanks Graeme, and dudeface. The video link supplied shows the articulation from an end-on view, something not usually filmed. The usual side views make the tender appear to be a continuation of the cab, but that makes no sense. I understand now how it extends into the cab. With the tighter radius on model track it will have little space to maneuver unless the gap is widened.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:08 am

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:22 pm Thanks Graeme, and dudeface. The video link supplied shows the articulation from an end-on view, something not usually filmed. The usual side views make the tender appear to be a continuation of the cab, but that makes no sense. I understand now how it extends into the cab. With the tighter radius on model track it will have little space to maneuver unless the gap is widened.
Accucraft would have encountered the clearance issue on the rtr K class model they made a while back. If you know someone with one it might be worthing have a good look at it to see what changes were made.

Since I am CAD challenged I just knock up a rough body assembly from scrap card and plywood, mount it on the chassis and fiddle around until nothing touches on my sharpest curve (4' radius). Works for tender engines, so I see no reason why it won't work for a Garratt.

Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:26 am

I'm becoming more drawn-in to this project with the challenges involved. I don't try to make accurate models, just representations of the prototype, so I feel fairly confident I can make it look OK. The most important thing is to make it work and give the impression of the real thing, after all, the majority of viewers probably know about as much as I do... Even Accucraft must have compromised!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:31 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:26 am
after all, the majority of viewers probably know about as much as I do...
Just like me... :lol

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:25 pm

Only just catching up on this thread it is difficult to keep up with you! The garratt turned out very well. Perhaps one day we can put live steam and battery versions side by side!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:57 pm

Thanks Zak, I'm glad you approve. You are most welcome to visit but my line is 32mm gauge and I think your Garratt is 45mm, but possibly adjustable?
I'm seriously planning a second Garratt now, most likely a K1, but waiting on suitable power bogies supply.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:28 pm

That's what a kitchen table is for..... right?
100_0726.JPG
100_0726.JPG (274.03 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
I have been working away making lots of new stock items but given no thought to their secure storage, until I found myself short of space!
A determined effort to create boxes to allow them to be stacked and keep them safe from damage had to be undertaken, and it was quite a surprise to discover how far behind I had become. The boxes are cut, assembled and painted in the outside workshop, but the felt lining and hinges etc. are more suited to the kitchen table.
A classic case of domestic harmony.... when Diane's out of the house!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:17 am

Thats something I need to be thinking about for my rolling stock Peter also. Soon gets forgotten about when you have so many things to build....

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:55 pm

That's what I like to see. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:18 am

I do have an update on the battery situation after all this time. Component Shop are still showing 'no stock' of many of their battery products but have supplied me with individual tagged AAA low self discharge batteries which are now made into a single eight pack, (4 square + 4 square) which fit into the narrow boiler of my loco. Unfortunately I am unable to show the finished model as I have made another technical error with my laptop and camera..... I'm just rubbish at technology!!!
In my defence I have to say 'no one told me', and it seemed to be the logical thing to do at the time, so I plugged a rechargeable torch into the SD ports and managed to blow some circuitry, rendering the use of both camera and laptop impossible. I'm awaiting the return of the camera from the 'vets' and hope the laptop can be repaired too, otherwise it means replacement I guess?