(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:45 pm

It might be that the curtain wire's too narrow! I'd suggest taking some with you!

When I made the last lot of pipes, I noticed that both sorts of wire were from Wilko, but I've had them a while, so the dimensions might have changed. It was a tight fit, but it worked, just!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:48 pm

Bach home with 1.6mm galvanised wire (20m or 65ft for just £1.99) and yes, I did take a curtain wire sample with me... it fits perfectly. I'll study your tutorial carefully and see what mess I can make. I do recall that I managed to make an alternative using flux coated brazing rod, which sort of worked, but that rod seems to be out of favour these days.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 pm

Here is my first attempt of emulating (shamelessly copying) Andrew's vac pipes, which I will continue to produce for all of my stock. They look far better than the ones which I made some years ago and I'm sorry I didn't take Andrew's advice earlier.
100_0358.JPG
100_0358.JPG (250.91 KiB) Viewed 4339 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:53 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 pm Here is my first attempt of emulating (shamelessly copying) Andrew's vac pipes, which I will continue to produce for all of my stock. They look far better than the ones which I made some years ago and I'm sorry I didn't take Andrew's advice earlier.

100_0358.JPG
They do look good, can you tell me what you have used for the straight length and the top of the curtain wire. and why is there a gap from the bend and the straight bit Peter, sorry i'am not being pedantic, I just don't know enough how these things should be, meaning where they used on all types of rolling stock, (except of course those slate wagons that roll freewheeling down), never mind what they should look like :dontknow:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:00 am

Nice!

I like the thicker upright - I might pinch that idea!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:53 am I just don't know enough how these things should be, meaning where they used on all types of rolling stock, (except of course those slate wagons that roll freewheeling down), never mind what they should look like :dontknow:
Most narrow gauge goods wagons weren't fitted with automatic brakes "back in the day", it's a much more recent thing.

I think most of the passenger carrying lines had fitted carriages, but not all - I don't think the Talyllyn did until the 1990s! The gradient there's all one way, so I guess they just always had a guards van on the downhill end of the train!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:52 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:53 am

can you tell me what you have used for the straight length and the top of the curtain wire. and why is there a gap from the bend and the straight bit Peter
Rod, the straight length (white) is plastic tube which is a perfect fit around the 1.6mm wire. The gap (sharp bend) is similar to that shown in the picture attached, which is a commercially available product.
vac pipes.jpg
vac pipes.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
I believe that the different diameters of the separate parts are due to mechanical connections between a variety of materials? I guess the sharp bend might be cast, whereas the upright stand pipe might be rolled? The hose is flexible so would have a thicker wall. As Andrew says, these are only representative of the real thing and some imagination needs to be adopted.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:09 am

Thank you Peter, I will take that on board. :thumbright:

My imagination can get a little bit too much even for me.. :lol :lol

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:22 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 am
FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:53 am I just don't know enough how these things should be, meaning where they used on all types of rolling stock, (except of course those slate wagons that roll freewheeling down), never mind what they should look like :dontknow:
Most narrow gauge goods wagons weren't fitted with automatic brakes "back in the day", it's a much more recent thing.

I think most of the passenger carrying lines had fitted carriages, but not all - I don't think the Talyllyn did until the 1990s! The gradient there's all one way, so I guess they just always had a guards van on the downhill end of the train!

Am I right in thinking that just the guards van had those vacuum pipes then, I mean if a loco was pulling such a lot of weight behind them they must have had something that helped the loco slow the train down.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:49 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 am I think most of the passenger carrying lines had fitted carriages, but not all - I don't think the Talyllyn did until the 1990s! The gradient there's all one way, so I guess they just always had a guards van on the downhill end of the train!
The Southwold never had continuous braking and they didn't have brake vans either. They somehow ignored BoT inspection reports over the years. It's the main reason the PLR doesn't have continuous braking - if the SR got away with it ........ :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:52 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:22 am Am I right in thinking that just the guards van had those vacuum pipes then, I mean if a loco was pulling such a lot of weight behind them they must have had something that helped the loco slow the train down.
Hi Rod!

No, in a fully "fitted" train all the vehicles would have pipes, containing either air or a vacuum, depending on the system being used - vacuum was more common in steam days, now trains are almost all air-braked. If the train becomes divided, the hoses separate, and either the vacuum is lost or the air escapes, which applies the brakes. It's why modern freight trains, which are fully fitted, no longer have a guards van at all - they're considered safe without, because they'll stop if they divide.

I don't know the technical details, but I guess that if the driver applies the brake, then they're applied all along the train - I think it's the case that light locos (ie locos running without a train) aren't allowed to go as fast, because they don't have the same braking ability.

And yes, on an "unfitted" train, the guard can help control the speed on steep gradients, either from the van or by manually pining down brakes on the wagons.

It's more complicated than that of course, beyond my limited understanding, but that's the basics, I think! On my line, my goods wagons aren't fitted with vac pipes, but some of my guards vans are - but that's because they were sometimes used on passenger trains on the real Welsh Highland.

Hope that helps?!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:57 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:49 am The Southwold never had continuous braking and they didn't have brake vans either. They somehow ignored BoT inspection reports over the years. It's the main reason the PLR doesn't have continuous braking - if the SR got away with it ........ :lol:
Ah, I forgot about the Southwold! I'm guessing it was pretty flat?!

It's odd how the rules seemed to apply some of the time, to some lines, isn't it? I'm thinking of, say, the old K&ESR, where a string of unfitted wagons would bounce along at the rear of the carriages without a guard's van - including up the 1 in 50 Tenterden bank!

Or, come to that, how unfitted goods trains can still ascend the Ffestiniog without a guards van on the back!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:51 am

Thanks Andrew for this explanation. I was only talking about steam trains mainly, but I can also use this information on the diesels that I will be using once the line is finished, which won't be long now, about another 3 months. :(

I know that long to wait, sorry about that, I just don't have the money I used to have and also fitness plays a lot too. :( :?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:00 am

Hi all,

Sorry it's been a while... The summer's been a busy one, but I have been slowly plodding on with the Hudson Toastrack - and I can confirm that it works!

Toastrack with toast.jpg
Toastrack with toast.jpg (980.19 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

Since then I've eaten the toast, undertaken some (possibly too much) weathering, and added seats, using a little jig to keep the slats uniform:

Toastrack seat slats.jpg
Toastrack seat slats.jpg (348.53 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

Rivet counters will be disappointed with this model, there are actually too many, and some are wrongly positioned, but slat counters are going to be delighted - I've got it spot on!

There are a few bits to finish, most notably creating and adding passengers (I'm a little worried about that, they're going to be VERY visible), but I think I should be able to outshop it before the (WH)WHR's passenger services finish for the year.

Cheers,

Andrew

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:08 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:00 am Sorry it's been a while... The summer's been a busy one, but I have been slowly plodding on with the Hudson Toastrack - and I can confirm that it works!
I recommend not reading that post while actually drinking tea (if you want to keep your screen dry...)!

Stunning work Andrew. As a fan of both toast and the WHR it's a delight to look at.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:03 pm

Lovely job Andrew, as always.

I've counted the slats and you are correct, but I can't see enough splinters? :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:06 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:03 pm I've counted the slats and you are correct, but I can't see enough splinters? :lol:
What a pain in the bum...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:14 pm

The toast and homemade jam look so inviting I can almost taste it. BTW, the Toastrack looks pretty good too!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:28 am

1st photo Toastrack...brilliant, as is the other one :thumbright:

I think it looks just right Andrew, who cares what the counters of any persuasion say. It's your line mate..Rule 1... :thumbright:

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:26 pm

Only thing I was counting was the toast... Looks like the correct number of slices to me! And one beautiful model, of course. :D