(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi JMORG!

Those are looking very impressive - I think the 2 plank is the little one that appears in the Wheeler book? You've captured the shape better than I managed to I think... I love the Gloucester wagon too - the strapping's looking great, and the distinctive bufferbeam shape. One of those is fairly high on my list...

I've also been busy on the wagon front, out-shopping these two today - the Ffestiniog brine tank and the second small WHR open:

Jan wagons 3.jpg
Jan wagons 2.jpg
Jan wagons 1.jpg

I've been out tidying up the garden a little - these two might just get a test run tomorrow...

Cheers,

Andrew.

All the best,

Andrew.

BertieB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BertieB » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm

This all looks terrific. The weathering (and the rivets) are completely convincing. Seduced by all of it, I went and bought a load of Nail Art stuff, so I could plaster rivet heads over everything. But it’s a nightmare! I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...

Andrew
Driver
Driver

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:30 pm

BertieB wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm
This all looks terrific. The weathering (and the rivets) are completely convincing. Seduced by all of it, I went and bought a load of Nail Art stuff, so I could plaster rivet heads over everything. But it’s a nightmare! I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...
Glad you like 'em, thanks!

For the wagon strapping etc I make little jigs to get the gems in the right place - usually just holes drilled in offcuts of thin ply. I use a pen to mark the part (a fine permanent marker if I can find one), then apply plastic cement, then add the gem with the tip of a knife blade. The tank was more of a challenge (!) but I discovered that the gems can be placed in more-or-less the right places then pushed into a straight line with the edge of a ruler while the glue sets. If you can't use then in your modelling you'll just have to stick 'em to your nails as intended...

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am

Picking up those gems can be frustrating. I use very fine needles, you know the ones that are used by our better halves...When they get a bit blunt, just rub the tip along some fine emery paper. Job done. :thumbright:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

Lonsdaler
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm

BertieB wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm
I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...
And another 'handling' method. I shape a small piece of blu tack into a fine point, and pick up the little critters with that. A light dab of plastic weld or similar and position - job's a good 'un. :thumbup:
Phil

Thursday? So am I, let's have a cup of tea...