(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 am

Individual planks are the way to go.

The laser cut kits don't look realistic with their perfect precision planking.

The weathering looks just right Andrew, great work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am

Glad you like the wagons chaps, thanks.

Good ideas re the planks Grant, I may try that next time, thank you. Attacking the paintwork with sandpaper to create a worn/faded/peeling look does highlight the different planks to an extent, but I don't want everything to look quite that knackered! With the open I'm currently working on I chamfered the edges of the planks a little more than I did last time, which may also accentuate the planks.

Rod, the corrugated roof on this one's plastic, from Bole Laser Craft - I think I used it after you'd found success with it on your garage build. I heated it a little to help it take the curve - I quite like the way it distorted a bit so that the edge isn't quite straight. These vans were essentially coal trucks with modified doors, and the addition of an extra plank and a roof, so should look a bit rough and ready! The strapping is home-made on these wagons - I had to do that so that it would look like the original. It's mostly knocked up from plastic strip and angle from the model shop, with nail art gems for rivets. I should make strapping for the inside of the wagons too really, but I don't have the patience. I was pleased with the van's iron hoops (for tying back the doors?) which are from slices of biro barrel, with a little piece of the pen's inner ink tube as the fastening.

The second open's coming together relatively quickly (well, for me!), with the body constructed and the glue currently drying on the (Swift 16) couplings. I made two lots of the strapping and brake gear when I built the first wagon, which will speed things up too, although I still have to add the nail gems. There's no real hurry, but it will be nice to have a complete WHR goods train...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks Andrew for the information. I forgot all about the corrugated from Bole Laser Craft. You did a brilliant job on getting it bowed. It really does look realistic... :thumbright:

Those nail art gems are a brilliant buy aren't they. I did buy some Cambrian ones when I first started to do any building of those nice little kits from IP engineering. But they are really difficult to pick up. :crybaby: :lol: :lol:

The nail art can also be fun... :roll: :roll:

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:33 pm

I do like the red you use Andrew. I saw Bachmann painted one of their 009 WD wagons in "WHR red". Is there any references on the WHR liveries? I would like to use red for the Swift Sixteen D wagon but ideally would like a reference to this livery actually existing.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:32 pm

JMORG wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:33 pm I do like the red you use Andrew. I saw Bachmann painted one of their 009 WD wagons in "WHR red". Is there any references on the WHR liveries? I would like to use red for the Swift Sixteen D wagon but ideally would like a reference to this livery actually existing.
Hello! Boyd says that "repainting was done in lake (brick-red of the Festiniog fashion) with black ironwork and lettering which was done by stencils 'W H R' with the number below. There was no standard method of lettering etc" - it's in a section where he's talking about the vans, but I think he's referring to all the goods stock. "Lake" suggests a darker maroon than FR red, and I think I will distinguish between the too when I paint some FR wagons...

I painted my D wagons in a dark grey, which I thought (possibly erroneously) was a representation of their WD colours - my assumption was that they'd been pressed straight into service. I like the Bachmann colour scheme too and may repaint one of mine eventually.

In order to ring the changes I'm going to paint the open I'm currently working on grey - there seem to be enough grey liveried WHR wagons around (including a full-size replica on the WHHR, I think) to suggest that somebody somewhere thought them likely!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello again!

Here's a quick update on the progress I've made this week...

The small WHR open has now been assembled and painted - lettering will be next. The ironwork is mostly ready to go, I just need to assemble some axleguards. They've turned up now, but last weekend I'd misplaced the little roller bearings I needed, so I temporarily turned my attention to a new project, the Ffestiniog brine tank wagon. See the Ffestipedia page ( https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Brine_tank_waggon) for more information, but essentially it carried salt water from Porthmadog to to the Oakley family home at Plas Tan-y-Bwlch and later found itself sitting on a pile of sleepers as a water tower at Pont Croesor on the WHR.

My model features Binnie running gear and a foamboard shell - that's scribed for the wooden bits and will have plasticard cladding added to represent the tank. I think it should be a quirky and characterful addition to the fleet...

WHR open and brine tank.jpg
WHR open and brine tank.jpg (259.81 KiB) Viewed 5115 times

I'll try to do a little on both projects this weekend, will let you know how I get on...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 am

Interesting use materials for this build Andrew. It's look great already.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 am Interesting use materials for this build Andrew. It's look great already.
Thanks Rod! One of the reasons I'm doing this one now is to assess the suitability of the method for other projects, including my proposed Kerr Stuart diesel. The jury's still out - it works quite well, but foamboard seem to bring out my slapdash side, I had to use a fair bit of filler!

Unfortunately for me, one of the main characteristics of the brine tank is the rivets all the way round the edge of each side. Here's the progress so far - it'll use up most of my nail gems... It'll be a shame to paint it really, it's going to look like something out of a circus train when it's done!

Brine tank - gems.jpg
Brine tank - gems.jpg (274.42 KiB) Viewed 5054 times

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Looks like you have 'nailed' that wagon Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 pm

That's a GEM of a joke Tom, you really put your FINGER on it...

Sorry!

Actually, my wife's also got in on the act. With a completely straight face she asked me which railway the wagon ran on, so delighted at this unusual interest in the minutiae of my hobby I told her... "And was that during the Ffestiniog's Vegas era???" she replied - I'd just been adding silver gems around the white top of the wagon, and it is indeed strangely reminiscent of Elvis's jumpsuits during those latter years of his career.

It's more Rolling Stones really - I'm gonna Paint it Black...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm

And the hits just keep on rolling Andrew!

Let me know if you need help with your Russell.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm Let me know if you need help with your Russell.
Sorry Tom, thought I'd sent a PM - I have now! The last one got stuck in the drafts folder...

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Tank looks good!
If the weather is good I'll hopefully take some pictures of work in progress of our NWNGR/WHR stock.
Andrew; will you do any rainbow carriages? Tempted to do a pink summer carriage...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am

JMORG wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 pm Andrew; will you do any rainbow carriages? Tempted to do a pink summer carriage...
Hello!

When I started down this whole WHR route that was my plan - I thought I'd build eight WHR carriages in four pairs, painting one green and the other in a "rainbow" livery. In reality though it takes me about six months to build a carriage and both my WHR engines are in pre-rainbow guises, so although it's tempting I'm going to stick with the 1923-1934 era for now, I think.

I've got the tank and open to finish and an NWNGR good brake to build, and then I might go back to carriage construction - I've gathered together sufficient bits and bobs to make a start on a model of FR Van 5 (which seems to feature in a fair few photos of WHR trains) and also something a little different... All will be revealed in due course - if I ever get round to it, of course...

Looking forward to further pics of your NWNGR/WHR stock. I saw the IP Pickering brake at Exeter incidentally, and thought it looked very good...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:34 pm

As requested. The two slate waggons are a Lineside Hut followed by a Binnie. These are representing the NWNGR first generation slate waggons (apparently "almost identical to the FR type"). The bolster set are modified from a Lineside Hut kit to represent the NWNGR bolster waggons.
All the Lineside Hut kits have white metal axle boxes instead of the MDF(!) ones. This does involve grinding at the floor of the waggon with a Dremel and sanding mop. They ride much better than with the MDF boxes.
IMG_20191113_160937_compress13.jpg
IMG_20191113_160937_compress13.jpg (151.88 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
IMG_20191113_160946_compress36.jpg
IMG_20191113_160946_compress36.jpg (162.88 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
IMG_20191113_160941_compress94.jpg
IMG_20191113_160941_compress94.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
IMG_20191113_160950_compress83.jpg
IMG_20191113_160950_compress83.jpg (192.14 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
The brake van is also progressing, gaining most of the "fiddly" bits like handles.

The Pickering will be a purchase in the future but the current goods brake van, FR van 2 and the VoR brake can be used in the mean time. Hoping for the Ashbury corridor and buffet car next!

As Beddgelert was mainly used for freight it's probably best to concentrate on NWNGR waggons before I get carriages. The Fairlie can run with the FR and WHR stock.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 am

Nice! I particularly like the bolster set - that's on my list too. MDF is an add choice for axleboxes, isn't it?! Lovely cheap kits, but less of a bargain when you've bought new axleboxes! I've got two Binnie slate wagons in their FR guise and another one awaiting construction which will represent the NWNGR variant - I'll probably add brakes, as per the one in the maker's works photo.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 am

Hi all,

Apparently, today is "Black Friday"... According to some sources this is some sort of celebration of impending armageddon fuelled by rampant consumerism, but this seemed such an unlikely thing to celebrate that I decided to investigate further and am pleased to report that I've discovered the True Meaning of Black Friday... It's all about giving adequate recognition to the most important colour in any railway modeller's paint collection, but one that's often overlooked - matt black.

And so, to celebrate Black Friday, here's a grainy photo of the latest progress on my brine tank wagon, taken this morning before I left for work, when the sun still hadn't risen properly:

Brine tank, nearly finished.jpg
Brine tank, nearly finished.jpg (188.26 KiB) Viewed 5413 times

It's nearly finished now, just brake gear and some weathering to add, which I might do this weekend. Another job for the weekend is the application of more matt black paint, this time to the ironwork of the second small WHR open wagon. Most of that's been ready for painting for a while, but I still hadn't made the axleboxes - that changed on Wednesday evening, in a Cardiff hotel room on a rare work trip away!

Axleboxes 2.jpg
Axleboxes 2.jpg (255.54 KiB) Viewed 5413 times

Spare time is likely to be limited as Christmas approaches, but it will be nice to get these two finished soon, if possible...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Love the tank wagon.... the rivets look perfectly aligned, which I know isn't easy. Nice matt surface too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:55 pm Nice matt surface too.
Poundland spray - as you know, it's wonderful stuff! Goodness knows what they put in it though, or what it's doing to the inside of my lungs, it smells far worse than usual spray cans...

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Andrew,
I like your definition of Black Friday much better than the consumer based one.
Also interesting to hear of you assembling the axle boxes in a hotel room, you have your priorities in the right order. Reminds me of sitting in the back of my four wheel drive on top of an embankment overlooking the main North East line and assembling HO railway kits as the trains pass by.
I think my eyes would have a bit of a twich after assembling that many rivets on the Brine Tank though.
Well done.
Grant.