Regner Konrad

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Regner Konrad

Post by benchmark » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm

My first geared locomotive arrived today, i have previously been very skeptical about oscillating locomotives having enough power to run on a challenging line like my garden layout so you can imagine the joy when i ran it today just before i took this picture.

She ran the whole layout in both directions without any problems at all. No halts not even a hesitation at the slopes :shock: i cant phantom a single cylinder capable of doing this. I just love her.

However, i will be heavily modifying her . The buffers will replaced with roundhouse ones , the flywheel will be painted back as i do not care for the olive green, the reverse lever will be slightly modified and i may clad the whole cab with wood to give it a real logging loco theme.

Suggestions are welcome, anyway here she is :-)

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 pm

One of the US steam model magazines had a Regner kitbash contest, some nice "backwoods" conversions were made of these locos.  

EDIT: Example here: http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/F ... fault.aspx

Look forward to seeing more of the progress!
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:26 am

Congrats with Konrad :D
Here is a German lasermodell shop with a complete cab (in ply)
http://www.lasergang-shop.de/shop/Lokom ... n-LGB.html
If you look a bit longer down the site there is a lovely You tube film of Konrad. My children love the music, they use to dance to it :P

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:06 pm

St.Michael:73499 wrote: My children love the music, they use to dance to it :P
Emir Kusturica and his No Smoking Ochestra perchance?
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Boban Markovitch and his orchestra

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I have already started the mods yesterday and i really like the engines in the links you gave.

Thia is what i have done so far
-i have already installed a stained wood front buffer yesterday and 2 roundhouse couplers.
-I have made a chuffer for her
-i painted the flywheel black
-I painted numerous other parts black like the copper pipework, silver manometer , safety valve and a roof pillers amongst a few other things.
- i modified the reverse lever and made a better handle control -Then i installed heat resistant silicone to both the reverser and the regulator handles which seems to get rather hot during operation and scalded me fingers.
-I added some sacks of coal and a couple of tools.

I will take new pics when i get home tomorrow.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:29 pm

You've been busy, I've only managed to stick a swiftsixteen van together today and they don't take much building.
looking forward to the pics

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm

St.Michael:73507 wrote:Boban Markovitch and his orchestra
I will have to check him out, at least I got the Serbian part right! 8)
Garrett

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:01 pm

While i was combing the web for modification inspiration i stumbled across this , now how is that for a working rusty loco :-)

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:43 pm

benchmark:73527 wrote:While i was combing the web for modification inspiration i stumbled across this  , now how is that for a working rusty loco :-)

Maybe if at the bottom of the ocean. Probably some German modeller, they tend to WAY over-weather steam locomotives for some strange reason, more than a lot of us Americans, if that is possible! :D
Garrett

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:00 pm

I like weatherd stock but that's a bit OTT for me and not enough colour variation. He must have liked it but could have been done better.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 pm

The monochrome works for an industrial- at the working face of a very dusty industry- but when it's even applied to rubbing faces of working parts it's only appropriate for a derelict. Muck and rust on piston rods and gear teeth would only accumulate on something that sat for months or more.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:43 pm

That's pretty good- even the wood buffer beam is rusty!!

Michael Saettler
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Michael Saettler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Sometimes german model builders are clever. The rusty Konrad isn't from Regner but made of wood, paper and only some Regner parts. The Konrad dummy was built by my friend Christian from Nuremberg.

My Konrad got a steam pipe, a water feeding valve and a new name: Alberich. With the current facilities (including the Regner gas tank in the tender) Alberich is able to run more than an hour.

You know Alberich? He's the guard dwarf of the Nibelungenhort in the same name saga.

Have a nice sunday
Michael
Honorable Member of  Lasergang and Kreativmeile

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:31 pm

VERY clever! :D
Is the lubricator / dummy brake pump a genuine regner item or not? I can't tell from the photo. (I think it's a great idea from Regner to disguise the lubricator this way ;) )

Oh and by the way, I'm very sorry, but I prefer Konrad's driver to Alberich's :lol:

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Michael Saettler:73546 wrote:Sometimes german model builders are clever. The rusty Konrad isn't from Regner but made of wood, paper and only some Regner parts. The Konrad dummy was built by my friend Christian from Nuremberg.
Now that is clever, take my hat off to that man.
The Konrad with the wooden cab is very nice indeed and I like the employment of Meercats to operate the points :lol:

Michael Saettler
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Michael Saettler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Greg - the lubricator is really a fake

Gremlin - The meerkats are doing a training course at my railroad to make the Kalahari rail transport safer. The students are very attentive but also very nervous...

Regards

Michael
Honorable Member of  Lasergang and Kreativmeile