Solder or screw?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
Busted Bricks

Solder or screw?

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm conducting a bit of market research here. Together with a friend who is a talented programmer and circuit designer I'm working on a range of speed controls, both for R/C and manual locos. Current offerings on the market are both bulky and expensive.

What is the preference in terms of connectors? Solder pads or screw terminals? Or to have the choice when you buy?

Any features you would like to see? We will probably incorporate soft start in the manual controller and a single three-way switch for fwd/stop/rev.

User avatar
sstjc
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Faversham Kent
Contact:

Post by sstjc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm

I'd go for screw terminals simply because of the number of of bits of kit i've seen ruined due to over-enthusiastic use of a soldering iron. You can also save money by having just one speed controller for several models fitted with velcro.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:58 pm

In my book, screw terminals are preferable - at least then you won't get some numpty with a soldering iron accidentally dismantling the unit by dwelling too long with the iron........................

Busted Bricks

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm used to SMD soldering under a stereo microscope but I can appreciate that not everyone is confident with a soldering iron (or has the correct type) so I'm leaning towards screw connectors as well.

Adam R

Post by Adam R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Could you not incorporate both options in the PCB plan, due to PCB mount screw terminals, having a leg, and a solder pad for you to solder it too.

Then the wire can be passed through the hole and soldered on.

if that makes sense

Screw terminals are good, until they come loose/ the screw head is made of cheese!

Once a decent iron has been obtained, surface mount stuff is a doddle, its having the right tools for the job, but as a manufacturer, you'll never get every customer with the right tools for the job- been there, never again.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Screw terminals gets my vote - purely on the experience that not one of my controllers to date has been "fit & forget" ;)
It's more convenient to just release screws to strip something down than removing heatshrink and unsoldering :D

Busted Bricks

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 pm

I used to make and sell micro R/C receivers. Once had a customer who appearently tried to solder wires onto it with a 80W iron. Several SMD components went missing in the attempt....

Adam R

Post by Adam R » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 am

Busted Bricks:72923 wrote:I used to make and sell micro R/C receivers. Once had a customer who appearently tried to solder wires onto it with a 80W iron. Several SMD components went missing in the attempt....
I had similar experiences when making a DCC decoder kit for a friend when he soldered it into his loco...

Though, I think specifying the terminals as an option pre soldered or unsoldered, may give you a wider market. If I bought one, Id be removing the screw terminals and hard soldering it.

Catweasel

Solder or screw

Post by Catweasel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 am

Although I can solder,and have a variety of irons, I prefer screws.

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Solder or screw?

Post by hussra » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 am

Busted Bricks:72916 wrote:What is the preference in terms of connectors? Solder pads or screw terminals? Or to have the choice when you buy?
Something that can be dismantled easily - screw terminals would be fine. The AnDel RC controller comes with wires soldered on to the board - which I just ran to chocolate block terminals. But screw terminals on the board would suit better still.
Busted Bricks:72916 wrote:Any features you would like to see? We will probably incorporate soft start in the manual controller and a single three-way switch for fwd/stop/rev.
This is mostly about RC rather than manual.

I have one loco with a MicroViper Loco, and the railcar with an AnDel controller. The great thing about the AnDel is having the forward/reverse and speed on different sticks - which makes it far, far easier to run smoothly when you have the throttle on a channel with a ratchet. Having driven both I'd always in future buy on that works this way rather than from a single centre-sprung stick.

Both have that annoying whining noise that I presume comes from the PWM frequency.

A directional lighting circuit is a nice bonus on the AnDel one, not that I've wired that up yet. (The railcar is also getting RC interior lights, so I can switch 'em on going into tunnels...)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Busted Bricks

Post by Busted Bricks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 am

The noise is due to a low(ish) PWM frequency as you suggest.

I think we might be able to offer the option of single or dual switch operation on the manual controller.

The R/C controller will most likely have a second input that will allow you to switch lights on/off etc.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests