Page 1 of 1

An impolite source of coupling chains

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm
by Keith S
I have found a source of good looking three-link coupling chains! The other day Mrs. Keith was complaining about water leaking inside the W.C.

I looked inside the water tank and discovered the little rubber flapper valve was deteriorated and wanted replacing. So I went to the shop and discovered the replacement part came with a new chain. At first I thought it was a metal chain painted black, but when I pulled out the old one I discovered it was plastic. Our water is slightly chlorinated, and I suppose this over time caused the plastic to go a reddish grey colour.

Anyway, I tried a bit of the old chain on my train and it looks and works very well.
Image
Image

The plastic is strong, but snips easily with wire cutters. It looks better than the brass wire ones I made.

Gentlemen, if your W.C. leaks, fix it and use that chain.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm
by benchmark
Very ingeniously done. Lucky for my wife i do not have to raid the bathroom furniture, my local hardware store sells stainless steel chains for about £3 a foot.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 pm
by Spule 4
Funny, I did just the same the other day in the master bath and came to a similar conclusion.

I am sure more toilets need to be fixed around here now for sure! :D

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:26 pm
by Mrs F Controller
I had to laugh when I read the above posts because we ended up using the chain from our old cuckoo clock! :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 am
by Sir Clothem Cap
I did the same with my old loo chain when I changed to a rear mounted cistern instead of a very old high on the wall cistern.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm
by Narrow Minded
As my stock of suitable safety chain (smaller than coupling chain) is running low, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a handy source?

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm
by williamfj
Maritime modelling sources?

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:39 pm
by Narrow Minded
williamfj:72762 wrote:Maritime modelling sources?
Sounds a good bet - unfortunately it won't be "local" though, we recently lost our last local model shop (queue sad music) :cry:

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:12 pm
by Sir Clothem Cap

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm
by Narrow Minded
EeBay Gum (Tree)! that looks good! ;)

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm
by MDLR
Otherwise, you could try Gee Dee in Nottingham..............