Sunday At The Hope Mountain Railway

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
Resurgam05
Cleaner
Cleaner

Sunday At The Hope Mountain Railway

Post by Resurgam05 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 am

Yesterday saw the annual Sunday Open Day at the most impressive Hope Mountain Railway, which is the work of 'IronMan' and his Dad. Here are a few of my better photographs from the event which was thoroughly enjoyable.
My NG/G16 running over the chord of the Triangle on the low level main line.
'DolwyddelanLightRail' was present with Britomart and Snowdon.
'Tegan Fi' descends the branch from the main station to the low level main line with a train of ex 'Wynster Valley' rolling stock.
Britomart looked and ran well with a train of slate wagons on the high level quarry line and was in steam for a good part of the day.
A Regner 'Konrad' exits the short tunnel on the low level main line.
A John Turner built representation of 'Warril Class Hunslet' Jack.
This homebuild 'VoR' has taken its owner some twenty years to build and is now approaching completion.
A Millie takes a short goods train on the Quarry line.
HMR resident 'Locomotion' Diesel on the low level main line.
Now given that such a good long train was available combined with gradients as steep as 1:40 on the link lines a "King Of The Hill" style competiton ensued. The winning performance was by 'Snowdon' hauling 10 heavy bogie vehicles up the 1:40 unassisted. The NG/G16 had managed 9 earlier in the day but was running out of adhesion so no more was attempted. My 'Linda' escaped the camera and was defeated at 6 bogies. The resident 'VoR' was sadly not quite on form and required banking assitance to get home.
The 'NG/G16' making a slow but determined effort with 9 on.
'Snowdon' with its 10 vehicle train about to attack the climb.
With the competitive side sorted out a number of trains were run 'top and tail' up the high level line which had a slightly easier 1:50 gradient.
In all a highly enjoyable day with thanks to 'IronMan' and all at the HMR.
Best Wishes

David Williams

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Mon May 14, 2012 11:24 am

lovely!
the garratt train looks smashing

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Mon May 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Some great photos there Dave, would loved to have been there again but work got in the way. Would have been nice to have got a shot of James's mamod with my VoR. The NG16 looks great, once we've got a circuit down you'll have to bring her along to check she will fit around.

Steve

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 pm

That first shot is an exquisite bit of landscape engineering!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm

8) And ...................... Britomart's Blunder ?? :roll:

Resurgam05
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Resurgam05 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Steve: I am very much looking forward to seeing your line which is already looking good, and as long as your radii are at least 4'6" there shouldn't be a problem.

Pretoria: Unfortunately (Perhaps Fortunately ?) Britomart's acrobatics escaped my camera lens. However suffice to say that a new unnoficial location name was added, "Britomart's Leap".
Best Wishes

David Williams

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Mon May 14, 2012 7:08 pm

An impressive looking railway indeed. 8)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Nice pics David!

Having never visited the line before, I didn't quite know what to expect......and was very amazed at the whole layout! :D

David's NG16 poking out of one of the tunnels as I arrived

A modded edrig was also running about on the upper circuit

With some slate waggons parked out awaiting collection

Snowdon and Britomart were marshalled in a little siding half way up the 1:40 climb! I would have taken Pheonix instead but I've misplaced the safety valve somewhere :roll:

Looking down on Tegan Fi running on the lower circuit

It wasn't too long before a fire was put in Britomart, and it needed a decent amount of steam to make it up the bank to the station!

and despite the blustery wind conditions, didn't get the fire blown out at all!

This picture was taken not too far away from where Britomart decided it rather liked the bush by the side of the track, and at the first oppertunity ran off like a bat out of hell and jumped off the track to say hello to it. Luckily the bush caught it otherwise the loco would have had a very loooooong fall to the bottom of the waterfall :oops:

Decending the 1:50 to the lower circuit

Decending down the 1:40 to be brought in for the day!

Whilst Snowdon was prepped for it's turn of duty

Whilst this was brought into steam!

Storming back up the 1:40 past Snowdon

When the Linda was running I also had Snowdon in steam to do some shunting and also act as a banker for the 1:40 climb, which ended up in some very fun top & tailing, shunting and just generally having a play! which unfortunately I didn't manage to get any pictures of!

and at the end of the day me and IronMan ran some top and tailed trains with Snowdon and Llewellyn, with this picture taken just as the gas ran out in Snowdon

Cheers for a cracking day Ironman! :D

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Mon May 14, 2012 8:28 pm

:shock: Brilliant !!!! :wave:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 pm

What a simply AWESOME set of photos, and also what a stunning railway! Definatly down on my list of railways I'd love to visit.
Also interesting to see a rake of Winster Valley Railway carriages. This railway was the basis for a group that was "NWAG before the NWAG existed", the WVR was an end to end line running through the house with full block working. They had full service running days with engine drivers, signalmen, guards, the whole lot! I've got a DVD showing some open days, including the very coaches in the pic. An NWAG member who collects former WVR stuff would probably be willing to pay a tidy amount for them. SLRmidge also has one of the former locos.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 pm

laalratty:70801 wrote:What a simply AWESOME set of photos, and also what a stunning railway! Definatly down on my list of railways I'd love to visit.
Also interesting to see a rake of Winster Valley Railway carriages. This railway was the basis for a group that was "NWAG before the NWAG existed", the WVR was an end to end line running through the house with full block working. They had full service running days with engine drivers, signalmen, guards, the whole lot! I've got a DVD showing some open days, including the very coaches in the pic. An NWAG member who collects former WVR stuff would probably be willing to pay a tidy amount for them. SLRmidge also has one of the former locos.
I take it you mean Mr Parkes or Mr Fysche (spell) both of whom know they’ve got no chance. Both dad and I were long term runners at the Winster Valley and thoroughly enjoyed our days in the hospitality of Mary and Bill. I was fortunate enough to double head with "Capplebarrow" on her test run before working the final Winster Valley service and I also have the turntable from Bloweth waiting to be fitted at some point on my line. As Laalratty quite rightly says the line worked to a rule book with Absolute block working, staff and ticket being required to enter a section. All loco movements had to be recorded by the driver and on closure one of the other members went through the records and produced a full record of mileage covered by every loco movement ever on the line. I think in all dad made 3 DVD's of the line including on the 3rd one the closing day of services and some shots from the closing of the line and its removal. If anyone wants a copy let me know and I will see what I can do.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon May 14, 2012 11:06 pm

DVT Dweller:70806 wrote:I take it you mean Mr Parkes...
That'll be the one ;)
Nice to hear from somebody that ran regularly on the WVR, there are a couple in the NWAG but they are getting on a bit. Would be interested in seeing the footage. I suspect the DVD I've got wasn't done by garden rail people, it all seems a bit whimsical. Starts off with some shots round Windermere, then the Lakeside and Have-a-waite before moving on to the WVR. Finishes off nicely with the song "the railroad runs through the middle of the house" which of course it did!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

IRON MAN
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IRON MAN » Tue May 15, 2012 4:14 am

Hia all,

Thank you all for the kind comments I shall pass them onto Dad. Shall have to get him on this forum i reakons.

I am very jealous of people that have run on the Winster Valley would have loved to run on it.

Everybody is welcome on the Hope Mountain Railway. Even James if he can keep his loco off the scenery :P .

Bestest

Dan

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 am

:hello2: Welsh Highland Railway coach built by the Ffestering Nog at Boston Lodge. :wave:

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 am

Great photo's - absolutely stunning line! :D

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue May 15, 2012 10:40 am

Pretoria:70818 wrote::hello2:   Welsh Highland Railway coach built by the Ffestering Nog at Boston Lodge.    :wave:
It's actually a Ffestiniog Coach, it's based on 116 I think!

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Narrow Minded:70823 wrote:Great photo's - absolutely stunning line! :D
100% agreement - fantastic, how many tons of stone have been moved to build it, I wonder?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:70825 wrote:
Pretoria:70818 wrote::hello2:   Welsh Highland Railway coach built by the Ffestering Nog at Boston Lodge.    :wave:
It's actually a Ffestiniog Coach, it's based on 116 I think!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue May 15, 2012 4:51 pm

And it wasn't even built at Boston Lodge!

IRON MAN
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IRON MAN » Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Think the Coach 122 which was built at the ffestiniog according to festipedia. The model was built by a Driver on the Ffestiniog Railway. We also have 118 and 14 but they arn't as heavy as that and think the wind was upsetting them.

Many trips were made to the slate tips at the Horseshoe pass. Returning with the car (a 2 door coupe) riding much lower than normal. As far as i know most of the rock has been free with Dad developing an obsession to clear the highways of "dangerously falen rocks" as well as other sources from Freecycle and the like.

Im sure Dad would be up for holding another impromt open day if there was interest. This one was advertised in SMT as far as i know.

Bestest
Dan