ACCUCRAFT UPDATE
-
freelander
ACCUCRAFT UPDATE
Just read an e-mail from a well know supplier that Accucraft are to discontinue with Leader, Caledonian, Lawley and Peveril anybody know if this is true ?
freelander
freelander
-
benchmark
-
Endless, Nameless
It's a fairly close scale model of a 3ft gauge prototype- it wouldn't fit on 32mm without drastic surgery which would rather ruin her looks.benchmark:69940 wrote:That would be a pity. I really liked the Caledonian but it only seems to come in 45mm.
I'm not particuarly suprised by Leader & Lawley, both have been for sale for some time & think have been sitting on dealer's shelves of late- I've seen some significant discounts on both.
Caley is a model of a unique prototype, is only available in 45mm and being a fairly long wheelbase is a bit fussy on tight curves & rough track- I get the impression it's sold well considering but most people who want one & have somewhere suitable to run it will already have one.
Peveril is a bit more of a suprise. I wonder if we'll see a different Beyer Peacock in it's place.
I think Accucraft are going to continue to move more into making close to scale models of prototypes instead of expanding the generic range much further.
-
bungle80a
- AFGadd
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 pm
- Location: Oxfordshire
- Contact:
-
Matt
Agreed, same with the Superior, it was a very good loco, but once everyone who wanted one had bought one, there was not much point in producing them any more.bungle80a:69945 wrote:Really? I have found it to be a beautifully proportioned loco, highly reliable with good pulling power. I guess if its disco'd that will stop it from becoming too common and increase the value of my loco!! :p LOL!!Keith&Joanna:69943 wrote:Lawley has been a bit of a flop.
- andysleigh
- Driver

- Posts: 1362
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:21 pm
- Location: Guildford
- Contact:
-
ferrysteam
-
Endless, Nameless
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
Hmm. Some mixed thoughts on this, as a newly-enrolled member of the House Of Accucraft™ and all...[that's right. You heard it here first...yours truly has levelled up...]
Firstly, business. I notice that three of the four axed are set prototypes. Leader, Pev and Cale. Set prototypes do seem to have a limited market - look at Roundhouse and 'Tom Rolt'. TR did not sell as well as the 'freestyle' types such as Lady Ann, Katie etc. Because 1)strict prototypes would likely appeal more and mostly only to the fans of that particular railway and 2)the freelancers allowed each garden railway owner [the Controller, in their own imagination] to make their locomotive unique -bopth for personality and for the character of the line. A strict prototype diminishes this. Small wonder then that prototypes aren't a popular alas.
Secondly, returnees. I see the Mortimer is on the cards and a lot of people seem to like it. For me though, it's too squashed and trying to be a 'type of all sorts' - and on an 0-4-0 chassis, somewhat ungainly. To my eyes anyway. I would have thought that the Edrig or Caradoc would have made it back - Edrig especially were seemingly very popular, being the Accuraft 'step up' from mamods and Janets [generic 0-4-0, simple to use,open cab for access etc]. Ohwell. Perhaps they but sleepeth?
Lastly - Leaders. It's a shame these became so bargain basement or unpopular. However, they are at the moment an excellent window for bottom-end /novice steamers!
As for prototypes, there are so many derivatives that they could have bcme anyone's - not just the KSLR, or Corris TR's....
Ohwell. I may well indeed own one of the very last Maroon Leaders then!*
*For the time being. Bought by me...but destined to be owned by someone else.
Firstly, business. I notice that three of the four axed are set prototypes. Leader, Pev and Cale. Set prototypes do seem to have a limited market - look at Roundhouse and 'Tom Rolt'. TR did not sell as well as the 'freestyle' types such as Lady Ann, Katie etc. Because 1)strict prototypes would likely appeal more and mostly only to the fans of that particular railway and 2)the freelancers allowed each garden railway owner [the Controller, in their own imagination] to make their locomotive unique -bopth for personality and for the character of the line. A strict prototype diminishes this. Small wonder then that prototypes aren't a popular alas.
Secondly, returnees. I see the Mortimer is on the cards and a lot of people seem to like it. For me though, it's too squashed and trying to be a 'type of all sorts' - and on an 0-4-0 chassis, somewhat ungainly. To my eyes anyway. I would have thought that the Edrig or Caradoc would have made it back - Edrig especially were seemingly very popular, being the Accuraft 'step up' from mamods and Janets [generic 0-4-0, simple to use,open cab for access etc]. Ohwell. Perhaps they but sleepeth?
Lastly - Leaders. It's a shame these became so bargain basement or unpopular. However, they are at the moment an excellent window for bottom-end /novice steamers!
Ohwell. I may well indeed own one of the very last Maroon Leaders then!*
*For the time being. Bought by me...but destined to be owned by someone else.
-
ferrysteam
-
Narrow Minded
All the handiwork of Sir Haydn and his Berry Hill Works (You can see a double-page spread of his work in this months Garden Rail) - he also "ironed out" a serious dent in the smokebox where the loco had suffered a fall under its previous ownershipferrysteam:69975 wrote:That lining and addons certainly make a difference.....A very handsome machine.
-
MuzTrem
Not neccessarily, one quite frequently sees "prototype" engines turned out in freelance liveries. This Roundhouse Argyll is one of my favourite examples:dougrail:69982 wrote:Set prototypes do seem to have a limited market - look at Roundhouse and 'Tom Rolt'. TR did not sell as well as the 'freestyle' types such as Lady Ann, Katie etc. Because 1)strict prototypes would likely appeal more and mostly only to the fans of that particular railway and 2)the freelancers allowed each garden railway owner [the Controller, in their own imagination] to make their locomotive unique -bopth for personality and for the character of the line. A strict prototype diminishes this. Small wonder then that prototypes aren't a popular alas.
There's nothing to stop people doing the same with "Tom Rolt", although I suppose it is expensive relative to other four-coupled engine like the Basic Series or "Billy" and "Katie". Then again, it is one of Roundhouse's cheaper "prototype" models - only Russell and Charles are cheaper at present - so it ought to be popular with those looking to take a step up from freelance models. Perhaps its small size counts against it? I've yet to see a 45mm gauge example...
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
MuzTrem:69995 wrote:Not neccessarily, one quite frequently sees "prototype" engines turned out in freelance liveries. This Roundhouse Argyll is one of my favourite examples:dougrail:69982 wrote:Set prototypes do seem to have a limited market - look at Roundhouse and 'Tom Rolt'. TR did not sell as well as the 'freestyle' types such as Lady Ann, Katie etc. Because 1)strict prototypes would likely appeal more and mostly only to the fans of that particular railway and 2)the freelancers allowed each garden railway owner [the Controller, in their own imagination] to make their locomotive unique -bopth for personality and for the character of the line. A strict prototype diminishes this. Small wonder then that prototypes aren't a popular alas.
There's nothing to stop people doing the same with "Tom Rolt", although I suppose it is expensive relative to other four-coupled engine like the Basic Series or "Billy" and "Katie". Then again, it is one of Roundhouse's cheaper "prototype" models - only Russell and Charles are cheaper at present - so it ought to be popular with those looking to take a step up from freelance models. Perhaps its small size counts against it? I've yet to see a 45mm gauge example...
I did say 'likelly' - there are always exceptions to the rule
As for me, I'm picking up a GWR livery Caradoc tomorrow
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests






