Page 1 of 1
Winifred.
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:07 am
by Marquis DeCarabas
With the excellent news that the three are coming back from Indiana, and that Winifred is being loaded today, apparently. I wonder if anyone can help me with an enigma...
If you look at this photo of my Winifred:
You might be able to see that there is a sandbox on the footplating, I've only ever seen one picture with that in, from the late Colin Pealling and it's published on p65 of the Penrhyn Modellers Guide.
Can anyone give dates as to when the 'real' Winifred carried the sandbox, presumably pre-1954 rebuild, please?
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm
by dougrail
Give me an hour or so, lemme get to my grimoire and I may be able to tell you. i do know many of them had them removed by the 50s...
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Nice to hear Wini s coming home and what a pleasure to have a finescale loco along with myself of her. We need to celebrate!!
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 pm
by Marquis DeCarabas
TVM - my Penrhyn books are still in Tywyn. I don't think Elvis Trundle will appreciate them coming over just yet - they will eventually when I have a bit of a swap. I suspect that there is an early picture of her in the 'Little Penrhyn Railway' - but I've not read my copy of that for at least a decade, sadly.
METHSSNIFFER:68462 wrote:Nice to hear Wini s coming home and what a pleasure to have a finescale loco along with myself of her. We need to celebrate!!
Splendid - the loco itself is a bit of an enigma - it came to me third-hand at a very advantageous price (and I'd been waiting for about 7 years for a 'Lilian'). I've not seen many models of 'Winifred' with either the sandbox or 'Penrhyn' style nameplates. What does yours look like? Since having her, I've done some small amounts of ..er.. improvement work, so she is even better than off-the-shelf, if that's possible!
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 am
by METHSSNIFFER
Wheres the sandbox I cant see it!!
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 am
by Marquis DeCarabas
That's not a Port class!
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am
by METHSSNIFFER
An alice class!
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 am
by Marquis DeCarabas
METHSSNIFFER:68474 wrote:An alice class!
I know!
Apparently I'm credited in a couple of books on them.
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:30 am
by METHSSNIFFER
Dont know why they called em port class they didnt go anywhere near the port
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 am
by Marquis DeCarabas
METHSSNIFFER:68476 wrote:Dont know why they called em port class they didnt go anywhere near the port
Yes they did - Winifred worked at the Port until her 1953 overhaul - best to check your history...
Depends if you're talking about Dinorwic Port class or Penrhyn Port class.
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 am
by METHSSNIFFER
Winifred worked at port penryhn you are saying with linda charles and blanche
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 am
by Marquis DeCarabas
METHSSNIFFER:68478 wrote:Winifred worked at port penryhn you are saying with linda charles and blanche
Yes - before her rebuild in 1953/4, after that she went to the Quarry.
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:08 am
by METHSSNIFFER
And I thought that the Port was worked by three de wintons before Linda Blanche and Charles with a couple of Baldwins that were not suitable. I guess Nesta worked the Port with Winifred also glad Ive got IVOs video its all clear now lol. It does make my model of a slate quarry more practical now as I can run Winifred on the levels as well as on the port branch with Blanche now
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm
by penrose
The three Penrhyn Port class Hunslets - Gwynedd, Lilian and Winifred - were all built specifically for use at the Port and, unsurprisingly, spent a lot of their working lives there!
Incidentally one of the postcards sold at Launceston has Winifred's new owner driving Lilian - speculate all you like about what this means about how soon Winifred and Lilian might be reunited....
Charlie
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:33 pm
by thecsmann
my one has the sandboexs but not the oilers on the smoke box.. nad yes iknow i have posted this photo befor but it is the only time i have run it. as its still the wrong guage..

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:41 pm
by Marquis DeCarabas
Interesting - look like different nameplates to mine.