IP's IoM "G" wagon kit

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

IP's IoM "G" wagon kit

Post by Keith S » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 am

I've received the IP "G" wagon kit and have been working on it.

The body of the wagon is pretty much like other IP kits, with plywood sides and plasticard roof. The Laser cutting is good and the parts fit together well without having to shave or sand them. Of course I will sand the whole thing a little before painting. The external bracing is an overlay that glues over the solid panel. The solid panels have planking lines etched into them.

The axle boxes are cast white metal. They are pretty detailed and I didn't have to file them very much to get rid of mold lines or flashing. They were very clean. There are the standard little brass bearings that push into them.

They fit into a notch on the solebar so there is no measuring required here.

The kit comes with a drawing of the real wagon to refer to.

The brake gear has lots of little parts. Again they didn't require very much dressing with the file and they all fit nicely. I haven't installed the handle and bracket yet, because I'm going to paint the body first.

That's as far as I've got with it so far. There are still a couple of bags full of little castings and the roof to go.

The wagon is quite large. It's supposed to be 15mm scale and it's still much larger than a standard 16mm scale wagon. It looks well enough with my other wagons, however. It is about the same height as a Roundhouse engine and almost as wide.

Everything in the kit seems to be slightly higher quality than the other ones I've built so far, although I am pleased with all of my wagon kits this one seems like the best one yet. It all fits together with no fuss.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 am

Well, the wagon is finished. I'm pleased with how it turned out, pretty much just like the pictures on the I.P website.

I built a little frame inside to hold a cylindrical tea canister, which I filled with rocks. That way the wagon will provide some load for the locomotive. The wagon is quite large, but looks good with the roundhouse locomotive and also matches the 16mm scale wagons I already have. It's a little taller and a little wider, but for some reason it makes the whole train look more "right", it reduces the apparent size difference between the RH loco and the smaller IP wagons.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. It's dark here.