Page 1 of 1

Narrow Planet??

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 pm
by dougrail
Has anyone else had trouble ordering nameplates from these chaps? I emailed them my order as they said they do 16mm scale plates, and take orders by mail. It's been a week or so with no reply. I can't say I'm impressed - unless there's any mitigating circumstances?

Alternatively, anyone here able to match their prices?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
I'd personally use MDC Plates, OK, they may be a lot more expensive, and take up to a month to arrive, but they are very good quality. Both Britomart and Pheonix's nameplates are from them

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:50 pm
by Sir haydn
Steve (Narrow Planet) may be away. He normally replys within 2 days if not within the hour.

You will not beat price/quality of Narrow Planet.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 pm
by dougrail
Well, I emailed early last week and haven't had a reply, hence my concern. I hear they're good - but do they exist, so to speak.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Mine are superb, yes they were not uber quick but was well worth it. I did order mine through Matt though so don't know about comms. On the same subject though I am still awaiting an email back from Essel regarding a chassis for my Jack.....Not that it matters now of course. ;)

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 pm
by dougrail
Hi PP

Would you be able to direct me to this Matt chap who has an open line to them then?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 pm
by Pendo Pilot
It's Sir haydn Doug..

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:02 pm
by williamfj
I've got plates from both, I've found that times both response & delivery were very similar for both. Really the only difference for me is size, Offler looks right with larger plates (narrow planet) while Ivy looks right with smaller (MDC) plates.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 pm
by dougrail
Oh. OH. This I did not know. :oops:

Still. Possible I could lay an order through your works then SH, see if that gets it to them?

cheers.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm
by Narrow Minded
williamfj:64604 wrote:I've got plates from both, I've found that times both response & delivery were very similar for both. Really the only difference for me is size, Offler looks right with larger plates (narrow planet) while Ivy looks right with smaller (MDC) plates.
I dunno about MDC, but Narrow Planet will produce the plates to whatever size you order.
For example, the "Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway" cab number plates and "Beyer Peacock" smokebox works plates on my Earl & Countess are from Narrow Planet ;)

Image

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:18 pm
by Sir Clothem Cap
I have narrow planet nameplates, they took a bit of time to produce but are well wrth the money.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 pm
by TonyW
Narrow Minded:64607 wrote:I dunno about MDC, but Narrow Planet will produce the plates to whatever size you order.
As will MDC. Only the standard and most popular 16mm scale plates are shown on my web site, but it also says: Customised plates incorporating different fonts, background colours and plate shapes can also be produced.

16mm scale plates are only part of what MDC produce, and their range includes Gauge O, Gauge 1 and everything up to 7 1/4inch, curved nameplates (to fit over a splasher), headboards and anything else that can be etched.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 pm
by dougrail
I'd just like someone who can produce a pair of rectangular GWR style plates with a 12-character name on for say £10-11 as NP quote. :oops:

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 pm
by DVT Dweller
Pendo Pilot:64596 wrote:Mine are superb, yes they were not uber quick but was well worth it. I did order mine through Matt though so don't know about comms. On the same subject though I am still awaiting an email back from Essel regarding a chassis for my Jack.....Not that it matters now of course.  ;)
I will second that all of my plates have been through Matt and no problems, might take a while but for the pice you cant argue. As for Essel I emailed them ages ago about some Bo-Bo power bogies for a diesel...... still waiting.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm
by TonyW
Keith&Joanna:64632 wrote:I for one didnt know that Tony, do you have any pictures of the larger finished pieces of work?
I don't, but I'll try and get some.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm
by SillyBilly
I've been in contact with Narrow Planet recently to ask about producing large plates for a 5in engine on a thicker material than standard, he has been quick and most helpfull so far, I sent an e-mail in the new year which hasn't recieved a reply either, I sent one the other day to ask if he had recieved my e-mail, which I haven't had a reply to either, so I can only assume he is taking a well earned break.

I would usually use MDC, the plates I had when the company was in the hands of the previous owner were great, nice and chunky, and the ones I have seen since are just as good. However on this occasion NP have the artwork for one of the quite complex plates I want on record.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:09 pm
by dougrail
Must be a winter break thing then. Cheers SB. I can wait a little while I guess.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 pm
by MDLR
One problem with Narrow Planet is that you have to wait for a batch to be filled before plates are produced, so it's a bit of pot luck - get in towards the end of a batch and you get the plates quickly, hit the beginning of a new batch and it could be a while.

I had issues with the last set of plates I had - I thought he'd forgotten to sort it, but then a new (bigger) set of plates turned up more-or-less out of the blue!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 pm
by dougrail
MDLR - I'm aware of that and again can wait I guess. :) What got my concern was the lack of acknowledgement to my email/order.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 pm
by dougrail
And case closed - Steven has very kindly responded to my email. All is well now. [Feel free to delete the thread gents].