Tender drawbars and platforms

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Tender drawbars and platforms

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to photograph the drawbar arrangement for their tender locomotives and post the picture here. I have a "Billy" locomotive, which I built with the optional tender available from Roundhouse. I had to fashion my own drawbar, which works but I feel it looks rather toy-like; I think it would look better with some kind of decoration like some dummy hoses or something. Also, I would like to build some kind of footplate between the locomotive cab and the coal door on the front of the tender. It would have to swivel in some way and I'm not sure how to do it.

In short, the tender does not look like it is attached to the back of the locomotive in the same way as a real one would be. This is what I get, I suppose, for grafting a tender onto a tank engine.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:43 pm

I currently cant get any pictures of how my grandad has made his drawbars and my description would probably be confusing. However the fall plate does not have to be made to swivel left to right. He has fitted one to a billy and it works fine without. Basically he has used hinges from old glasses and fitted the place to the locomotive (instead of tender) the plate can then go up and down of course as the track requires. To allow it to go round sharp curves it isn't straight edged, but has a part cut out so that on a sharp radius it doesn't hit the tender sides and cause a derailment

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 pm

That's actually very useful information. I hadn't thought of the need for the "fall plate" (learned a new word!) to be able to move up and down but of course you're right. THanks!

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:52 pm

On the Ffestiniog Blanche has a fall plate, but Linda did (does?) not. Also missing fall plates are Prince and Palmerston, with just a centre buffer separating loco and tender.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 pm

If I go to my grandads over the holidays I will make sure I photograph his method for you. I think on one loco the tender has a swivelling flat bar where the hook would usually go, with a large rounded dumb buffer. The loco end just has the normal buffer and the flat bar has a slot that hooks onto the normal hook. It's much easier if i take pics though rather than try to explain. AS tony has said above you don't have to have a fall plate, but personally in the world of small scale stuff the gap between loco and tender is much larger than it should be, meaning quite a leap for the fireman! It also adds a little something and is relatively easy to do.

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:42 am

That's what I think, too. I've got a flat bar attached to the spot the centre buffer would screw onto the buffer beam on the engine. I used a spare connecting rod bolt so it could swivel and a little spring to keep it level. It comes out of the buffer beam too low for the pin on the tender, so I had to bend a bit of an upward curve to it so the tender end would be the right level. I drilled two holes in it, so the tender sits very close to the locomotive but can be moved a quarter inch back or so if the track has tight curves. It won't go around the very tight LGB curves at all (don't know the radius) but I can't see myself using those anyway.

I just think it looks a little mickey-mouse the way it is. A fall plate will look nicer, I'm sure.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

For a fallplate, DLR Dan made a two-sectioned plate with hinges on which essentially covers the gap. It screwed onto the floor of the tender and is hinged to to lift up to allow access to the connections.

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:25 pm

The only draw-bar and fall-plate I have piccies of are of Sir Nigel Gresley (60007). Not sure if that'd help. One doesnt realise quite how big she is until you are underneath helping a mate fit OTRM equipment etc.

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:40 pm

I've got this if its any use Keith


Image

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:12 am

Thanks, Dan. That's more or less what I have already, except the Roundhouse tender doesn't have the overhang that yours does, so I'm going to rig up a fall plate of some kind to cover the drawbar. I'm not really that bothered by it; it's just an area where I think the engine could look better.

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:53 am

SapperAnt:63631 wrote: fit OTRM equipment etc.
Sorry about the OT, but how the folk is OTMR going to work on a steam loco :? :?

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:19 am

DolwyddelanLightRail:63638 wrote:
SapperAnt:63631 wrote: fit OTRM equipment etc.
Sorry about the OT, but how the folk is OTMR going to work on a steam loco  :?  :?
I was wondering that as well? :shock:

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:41 pm

I was wondering too, and looked it up using the "google". Turns out most steam locomotives able to run on the main line in the UK already have OTMR fitted. I didn't bother to try and look up exactly how, but I imagine it's a pain in the posterior. Even some little 0-6-0 tanks have it. I wonder where they hide all the unsightly wires. Rather like making an entire locomotive wear one of those wretched orange vests.

I still wouldn't mind some pictures of peoples' drawbars. Shane I know you have a Fowler. I'm only mentioning it. :roll:

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Unless you've got it mixed up with AWS then that's fair enough, they've had them for years and only need simple wiring and magnets etc but how the hell does OTMR work on steam loco's, you can't exactly wire it up to the regulator etc to monitor how much power your applying etc

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:20 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:63661 wrote:... how the hell does OTMR work on steam loco's, you can't exactly wire it up to the regulator etc to monitor how much power your applying etc
Apparently you can... http://www.clan-line.org.uk/html/locoreport_4_06.HTM and lots have it http://www.uksteam.info/tours/locos.htm
Last edited by TonyW on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Bl00dy 'ell, they can even spy on you while driving steamy's now!

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Some have both AWS and OTMRand yes they are a pain in the posterior toinstallA mate of mine runs his own company installing it on classic diesel traction and on steam.

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:31 pm

I can understand for AWS and TPWS, but there isn't much point in OTMR in steamy's

Next thing you know they'll that GSMR installed as well :roll:

Marquis DeCarabas

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm

OTOH if OTMR is a precursor for ERTMS use.....

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Well, to run on the Mainline they have to conform to Mainline standards . No if buts or maybes

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests