Page 1 of 1

Little battery lamps

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 am
by Keith S
I have some of those little battery powered lamps:

Image

but I've ruined the little LEDS inside. While trying to replace the batteries, I broke off the leads on the tiny LED itself. I hope I can find some of these little LEDs, without having to buy new lamps.

A visit to the electronics store didn't turn up any small enough. Anybody know an online shop that sells them?

Loco lamps - small led's

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:06 am
by bluewater1150
Hi, they can be replaced by a sub miniature 1.8mm led from micro miniatures - no resister required for 3v operation. Not identical buy they do fit. Check the polarity before spending 10 minutes making the legs fit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270718784063? ... 1439.l2649

Elliot
8500
Northumberland

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 am
by -steves-
Great little light, where do you get them from in the first place? :D

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:52 am
by Vapouriser
I bought some little lamps from Maplins

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 am
by bluewater1150
Chuffed2bits and PPS sell these type of loco lamps- probably others too.

Elliot

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:57 am
by JMORG
shame they are so damned expensive though, £16 seems awfully steep imho.
They are hidiously expensive. We only have 3 and we just swap them round the locos. The carriages and brake vans have the IP perminantly fixed ones.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
These are manufactured by Finescale Engineering and you wont get a better lamp in scale and protypical for 16mm chuffed 2 bits sell them on behalf of finescale

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:36 pm
by Sir haydn
I couldnt make one for less than that. So why is £16 expensive? You cant get near chuffed 2 bits to buy them at the 16mm AGM.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:40 pm
by Keith S
They are pretty expensive, but they also look really good. I always notice when a locomotive has one. Since they don't have wires you can move them around just like the real thing. They have a soft yellow glow just like an oil lantern. I think they're worth the money, I only wish the batteries weren't so fiddly to change, but they are very small so that's to be expected.