Edrigs!

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Edrigs!

Post by anythingsdr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Hello there,

I've been offered an Edrig (Not sure about its condition etc but the price seams ok) but i was wondering what upgrades there were except the bodywork, and if anyone has any advice about them?

Any Help Greatfully Recieved!

Alistair
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Alistair, One rather significant upgrade is the coal firing conversion from DJB engineering, if that is a step to far and you wish to remain on gas then Milton Locomotive Works can upgrade the burner, there are automatic drain cocks and a whistle kit available from DJB again, chuff pipes from ACME Engineering and Summerlands, alternative gas and regulator controls from ACME and Milton, the list goes on !!
I suggest you steam the one you have been offered to check it runs in both directions ok and do the usual checks.
cheers Rob

James-Buzz
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James-Buzz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Burner upgrade MAY help but you won't know till you run it. They are pretty robust loco's so don't expect to have to spend money upgrading just to get a reliable run.
James of Dunstable.

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Is there a water guage & top up valve availible? Or is that abit excessive

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote="anythingsdr:58092"]Is there a water guage & top up valve availible? Or is that abit excessive[/quote
Nah, not from what I know, although it is unessecery as the gas runs out way before the water., great locos too.
Thanks
Jack

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:31 pm

You can get a water top up valve but I have not seen a gauge glass for one yet. I think that would require boiler work...I may be wrong. Of course there are more bodykits available for them as well.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I am aware of a top up valve, but i do not think you can fit a water gauge without some serious modification. with practice you will sense when it needs water, little but often is usual so run it a few times first to get confident with how it behaves. They are a good engine anyway but can be enhanced later on when you have a clearer idea of what you want, regards Rob

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Aye... should get to see her foor the first time in a few pics... will try n get them on here, always helps to have a few expert eyes about!
Alistair Parsons,

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Try to run it before you buy!! Rob

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Yes! Hopefully... If my mate can get the day off work... 11th of sept! Somewhere where I know the route (A circle!) on the level, with lots of other people who I know will help me out!
Alistair Parsons,

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Tag Gorton's Live Steam Workshop is what you need to read, it covers most upgrades you can do to an Edrig and how to go about it.

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 pm

the person who offered me the edrig has produced some images showing his home made cab.

both are copyrighted to him (Who shall remain nameless)

Any thoughts / Comments on the general appearence?
Alistair Parsons,

James-Buzz
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James-Buzz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Ask to see it run, think about how much time and money it may cost to sort the smokebox door and bring the cab mod up to a standard your happy with cosmetically, paintjobs vary in price and standard of finish.
James of Dunstable.

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Door is (hopefully) just respray job, which could be undertaken by me, and i like the cab otherwise! It would just be the R/C kit and possibly a top up system. The R/C system is something fairly cheap as it would just be the Servo's as I've got (Somewhere) a spare reciver. Hoping to see it running & have a go with her on the 11th! So will know more then.
Alistair Parsons,

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mr ACME » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 pm

anythingsdr:58136 wrote:the person who offered me the edrig has produced some images showing his home made cab.

Any thoughts / Comments on the general appearence?
If I were you get somebody who has some experience to check it over for you. I recommend this because of the state of the smokebox door.

This invariably is the result of a partially blocked or incorrectly refitted jet, without P.T.F.E tape.

The question is how long has it been run in this state? I have had to repair numerous engines like this where in the most extreme cases the piston rings have been baked solid and the centre reversing valve piston and cylinder piston valves have seized in their bores. Even if the engine hasn't been allowed to get to this state the amount of heat generated to burn the paint off the door will almost cetainly have burned away any steam oil at the front end and could have caused excessive wear.

Don't be dazzled by add on cabs or the fact that it's a steam engine. Make sure that its  not damaged. If in doubt walk away. It's your hard earned money. There are plenty more out there.

Hope that I haven't dampened your spirits too much.
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
email: sales@acmesteam.co.uk
www.acmesteam.co.uk

The original Accucraft service person, working closely with them since 2001.

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Mike,

You havn't dampened my spirits! before the 11ths I'll write down the bits people have told me to look at, and there will be numerious people there who im sure will help me look it over properly!
Alistair Parsons,

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:07 pm

thought I'd provide an up-date, I've yet to look at the engine (Sadly the chap has to work) but he is currently installing RC on it.
Alistair Parsons,