Which one's to scale?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Which one's to scale?

Post by TheChestnutLine » Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I've just been on both the I.P engineering site and Brandbright and both their Quarrymens coach kits are different sizes, Which ones to scale? I.P claim theirs is to 16mm scale but Brandbright don't say, but I assumed it would be to scale as all their other stock is? Help!
James

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon May 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Brandbrights are to scale IP are over scale

TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by TheChestnutLine » Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Why would they say its 16mm scale then? :x :|
James

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon May 09, 2011 4:58 pm

not sure. they have always made stock over scale

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue May 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Sir haydn:53269 wrote:not sure. they have always made stock over scale
Hmmmmn! IP made some Ffesty rolling stock overscale to try to match the over wide Roundhouse Taliesin – and got pilloried for it.

They do not 'always' make stuff overscale.

In the case of the quarryman's coach, the dimensions of the IP model were taken from the quarryman's coach at the Penrhyn slate museum and the dimensions of the model were approved by Robin Willis, archivist to the Penrhyn Soc. The dimensions of the Brandbright ones are also correct – these dimensions were taken from the example at Penrhyn Castle. There were two different vehicle types as per Boyd's book – check it out. All new-build stuff IP stuff (other than specific generic stock for generic locomotives or low price stuff for youngsters) is to either 16mm scale or (in the case of IoM or Irish stock) 15mm scale. It is a shame to knock any particular supplier of equipment based on personal prejudice rather than fact. Every trader is susceptible to this sort of thing.
Tag Gorton

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 pm

IPs are overscale, hecne one reason I bought them, look less silly behind a edrig :D
Thanks
Jack

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue May 10, 2011 3:58 pm

90733:53316 wrote:IPs are overscale, hecne one reason I bought them, look less silly behind a edrig :D
Which prototype kits in the current range are you referring to here?
Tag Gorton

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue May 10, 2011 4:05 pm

90733:53316 wrote:IPs are overscale, hecne one reason I bought them, look less silly behind a edrig :D
In fact I note from your website that you have IP eezybuilds. These may certainly be large but they do not actually have a scale. My post referred to the 'scale' models of particular prototypes.
Tag Gorton

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:17 pm

GardenRail:53317 wrote:
I was talking about the Fffestinog stock (which I beleve have just been withdrawn?) that I got at narrow gauge north, I belive you were there with Ivan when I bought them!
The Ezee stuf is very small! and looks ridicolous with a edrig, which you probally know!
Thanks
Jack

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue May 10, 2011 4:37 pm

90733:53319 wrote:
GardenRail:53317 wrote:
I was talking about the Fffestinog stock (which I beleve have just been withdrawn?) that I got at narrow gauge north, I belive you were there with Ivan when I bought them!
The Ezee stuf is very small! and looks ridicolous with a edrig, which you probally know!
Yes that was the oversize stock mentioned in my post together with the reason why it was over scale. IP sold it off cheaply at the AGM. Funny how no one gave Roundhouse a hard time over scale. The rest – including the quarrymans, is not over scale.
Tag Gorton

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I do agree with you there, somepeople seem to have a moan when IP make things overscale, but most steam locos are especially large!
Thanks
Jack

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue May 10, 2011 5:49 pm

90733:53323 wrote:I do agree with you there, somepeople seem to have a moan when IP make things overscale, but most steam locos are especially large!
personally I prefer both generic locomotives and generic stock – largely because I can make of them what I will. As far as i am aware however, the Ffesty prototype stock was the only foray into rubber scale that IP did. The rest, if a model of a particular prototype, is to scale.
Tag Gorton

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:55 pm

GardenRail:53327 wrote:
90733:53323 wrote:I do agree with you there, somepeople seem to have a moan when IP make things overscale, but most steam locos are especially large!
personally I prefer both generic locomotives and generic stock – largely because I can make of them what I will. As far as i am aware however, the Ffesty prototype stock was the only foray into rubber scale that IP did. The rest, if a model of a particular prototype, is to scale.
Well I've learnt something! Didn't know the ffesty stock was the only overscale items, thanks for that info, and indeed generic lets us make our own historys :D
Thanks
Jack

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue May 10, 2011 6:09 pm

GardenRail:53314 wrote:
Hmmmmn! IP made some Ffesty rolling stock overscale to try to match the over wide Roundhouse Taliesin – and got pilloried for it.

They do not 'always' make stuff overscale.

In the case of the quarryman's coach, the dimensions of the IP model were taken from the quarryman's coach at the Penrhyn slate museum and the dimensions of the model were approved by Robin Willis, archivist to the Penrhyn Soc. The dimensions of the Brandbright ones are also correct – these dimensions were taken from the example at Penrhyn Castle. There were two different vehicle types as per Boyd's book – check it out. All new-build stuff IP stuff (other than specific generic stock for generic locomotives or low price stuff for youngsters) is to either 16mm scale or (in the case of IoM or Irish stock) 15mm scale. It is a shame to knock any particular supplier of equipment based on personal prejudice rather than fact. Every trader is susceptible to this sort of thing.
So it seems some 1:1 scale railways are guilty of building things overscale then too! When will it end?

Another lesson one might take from this is, if you are a manufacturer of locomotives or rolling stock, don't dare make an engine or wagon that in any way resembles a full-sized prototype unless you intend to make it absolutely perfect for the benefit of the "scale modelers". Otherwise the rivet-counters will accuse you of "ruining" it, and the folks who just want to play with steam engines in the garden won't buy it either, because of all the rage they attract from "model railway" guys! Jeez. I guess the only solution is to stick with generic stuff like Edrig and Lady Anne and hope some rivet-counter doesn't peek over your fence and suspect you of trying to imitate a full sized railway from somewhere! :roll:

TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by TheChestnutLine » Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting. I'm not a rivet counter but when the rest of my stock is to 16mm scale (regardless of the locos size) it just seems sensible to have it all the same. Looking at the dimensions from both traders threw me so I just wanted clearing up as to why they're different. :)
James

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue May 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Just to clarify: are we talking here about Ffestiniog quarrymen's carriages, or Penrhyn ones? I think both Brandbright and IP have done kits for both, but they are very very different prototypes!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by TheChestnutLine » Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 pm

hussra:53333 wrote:Just to clarify: are we talking here about Ffestiniog quarrymen's carriages, or Penrhyn ones? I think both Brandbright and IP have done kits for both, but they are very very different prototypes!
The Penrhyn ones.
James

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue May 10, 2011 7:04 pm

TheChestnutLine:53334 wrote:
hussra:53333 wrote:Just to clarify: are we talking here about Ffestiniog quarrymen's carriages, or Penrhyn ones? I think both Brandbright and IP have done kits for both, but they are very very different prototypes!
The Penrhyn ones.
Aha. I think Sir Haydn and 90733 are talking about the Ffes ones.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 pm

hussra:53336 wrote:
TheChestnutLine:53334 wrote:
The Penrhyn ones.
Aha. I think Sir Haydn and 90733 are talking about the Ffes ones.
oops yes, i was sorry about the mix up, I think we've all confused each other, well ok, just me and Sir Haydn :oops:
Thanks
Jack

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Keith S:53330 wrote:
GardenRail:53314 wrote:
Another lesson one might take from this is, if you are a manufacturer of locomotives or rolling stock, don't dare make an engine or wagon that in any way resembles a full-sized prototype unless you intend to make it absolutely perfect for the benefit of the "scale modelers". Otherwise the rivet-counters will accuse you of "ruining" it, and the folks who just want to play with steam engines in the garden won't buy it either, because of all the rage they attract from "model railway" guys! Jeez. I guess the only solution is to stick with generic stuff like Edrig and Lady Anne and hope some rivet-counter doesn't peek over your fence and suspect you of trying to imitate a full sized railway from somewhere! :roll:
Indeed! This is just what I do! NOT because I am afraid of the rivet counters but because I model my own railway – not a copy of the L&M or the L&B. It also enables me to convert standard (and comparatively cheap) generic locos into something personal to my railway. All my locomotives are fitted with whistles and the piston valve locos have working automatic draincocks. I modify the cabs to be as clear as possible as well. It is each to one's own.

It is also noticeable that while one can, for some reason, pillory firms such as IP or Accucraft, while others (and we know who they are) are somehow seen as sacrosanct. This sort of thing is always difficult to counter, because while there is always something that could be improved with any provider of models, I don't wish to compare the bad points of one particular marque of models with the bad points of another just to make a point. Most of our suppliers do their best. I just wish the uncritical fanboys who wish to justify their purchases would do so without demonising products purchased by other people. Apart from anything else it doesn't help to improve the breed. This last, I hasten to add, is not what has happened here – but I have seen it regularly in another place :)
Tag Gorton