RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 am

Very different. I like the tortoise-like action. Could it also be triggered by push buttons sending the channel low or mid?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Rik,

The Ardunio is very versatile so using push button switches would not be a problem.  In the code you would just look for a HIGH or LOW state.

On the transmitter I am planning to use the 'Bind' button for a servo attached to a signal that will mimic realistic signal bounce like the below:

https://youtu.be/m6MmCO9eTKU?t=1m44s

I appreciate this is not of interest to most people at it is programming and electronics, however, happy to write this all up if anyone is interested as there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes ;)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 am

Have you considered using one of these cheapo remote control handsets?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400752673830

Ten quid for twelve relay controlled outputs seems pretty good value to me.

Rik

EDIT - Just noticed you'll be using the bind button. The cheapo Tx/Rx was a suggestion if you were thinking of adding more signals etc
Last edited by ge_rik on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:43 am

tom_tom_go:119089 wrote: I appreciate this is not of interest to most people at it is programming and electronics, however, happy to write this all up if anyone is interested as there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes ;)
I for one would certainly be interested in a blow by blow account of using the arduino, please Tom.
Philip

sjnovis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by sjnovis » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:38 pm

I too would be very interested in learning more about how electronics like this can be incorporated into a railway.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:04 am

Sorry To Hi-jack, I love the line and it always a good read. I love the element of hands free on this layout, you hav edone really well. LOve the little details to

Rik you mentioned this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400752673830, am i right in thinking it controls servos?
'Professional Bodge artist '

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Maple:119116 wrote:Sorry To Hi-jack, I love the line and it always a good read. I love the element of hands free on this layout, you hav edone really well. LOve the little details to
Thanks for the comments and I am glad it has given you enjoyment reading my little rants :) My line is even smaller these days after losing the dog bone so achieving 'hands free' operation is key for it all to work as an end-to-end design.
Maple:119116 wrote:Rik you mentioned this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400752673830, am i right in thinking it controls servos?
Rik's suggestion does not operate servos alone. You will require something in the middle to tell the servos what to do. Rik is using Picaxe microchips whereas I am using an Arduino but both require programming with code to operate.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 pm

ge_rik:119103 wrote:Have you considered using one of these cheapo remote control handsets?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400752673830

Ten quid for twelve relay controlled outputs seems pretty good value to me.

Rik

EDIT - Just noticed you'll be using the bind button. The cheapo Tx/Rx was a suggestion if you were thinking of adding more signals etc
I may move on to using something like this Rik as it would allow me to operate more servos (the Arduino Mega can operate up to 48 of them), however, as my line is very small I would like to try and run the whole thing with just one controller as in some cases I can use one channel on the Tx to move multiple servos but code them to do different things.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Give me some time to get this all down into something worth reading and I will post (work getting in the way at the moment with my railway time) :(

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 am

Are the boards easy to program? I am fairly computer literate. I am wanting to use servos as point motors. And would use the cheap controller to do it? Would this work?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:48 pm

Maple, it has taken me about a month to get to this stage:

I want to eventually write this all up so others can use my code, however, if you want to have a go yourself check out the 'Getting Started' guide to Arduino:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:33 am

Your work has definitely been worth it, are you controlling both points and couplers?

It is something that intrests me greatly, but i will need to do alot of learning :)

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:30 am

I've got a similar system for the points but using the following board:
http://www.microminiatures.co.uk/acatalog/SERVO.html

The points are connected up via CAT5 cable (4 pairs) allowing two servos on each cable back to the controller. I hard a lot of problems with the remote it comes with so purchased a remote relay board off ebay which is connected to the manual button inputs this board supports.

The hardest problem I'm finding is keeping the servo's dry and working, being outside all year round has meant a lot of swap outs!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Maple:119116 wrote: Rik you mentioned this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400752673830, am i right in thinking it controls servos?
Hi
As Tom says - it wouldn't operate servos directly. You'd need something like a Picaxe or Arduino to generate the signals needed for driving servos.
Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Maple:119185 wrote:Your work has definitely been worth it, are you controlling both points and couplers?
If you read back in the post a bit you can see I am experimenting with magnetic uncoupling although a servo operating an uncoupling ramp is now an option.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:36 pm

robyholmes:119186 wrote:The hardest problem I'm finding is keeping the servo's dry and working, being outside all year round has meant a lot of swap outs!
Not sure if your line allows servos to be mounted underneath the track but I have housed each of my servos in plastic takeaway tubs with drainage holes should any water make it inside. We have had a fair bit of rain since I uploaded the video and all is well so far although SWMBO wants the plastic ice cream tub housing the Arduino covered up as soon as possible as it ruins the garden apparently 😆 (I planned to place a building over this anyway).

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:27 am

tom_tom_go:119222 wrote:
robyholmes:119186 wrote:The hardest problem I'm finding is keeping the servo's dry and working, being outside all year round has meant a lot of swap outs!
Not sure if your line allows servos to be mounted underneath the track but I have housed each of my servos in plastic takeaway tubs with drainage holes should any water make it inside.  We have had a fair bit of rain since I uploaded the video and all is well so far although SWMBO wants the plastic ice cream tub housing the Arduino covered up as soon as possible as it ruins the garden apparently 😆 (I planned to place a building over this anyway).
No I can't on mine line, I've used little project boxes (Black boxes) with the base removed. They seem to suck the water up. I had no problems first for months but over time they started to get affected. They will either move all the way to one end and jam or jump around. I'm only using cheap TowerPro 9G servos so can't expect much from them. Tried more expensive ones but they don't like the long cable runs.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:30 pm

I am using the same TowerPro 9G servos and I have one connected with a cable over 2m with no issues so impressed so far for the price.

Started working on the building to hide the Arduino, wiring and batteries today:

First time I have used Plastikard for a building project:

I might try and clad it with Plastikard for a wood effect or use some sheet metal I have in the garage.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Go on..... use Plastikard now you have started.. You can scribe the plastic to look like woodgrain and paint it with acrylics. Much easier than working with metal I think.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Summer seems a long time ago now on the RWLR, however, I have been busy on the Arduino programming side of things as I want to bring signal control into the mix along with points. I am hoping to replicate a realistic movement similar to this in code:

And here is the signal I am going to be controlling complete with light:

The signal is from eBay and given the cost of material and time that has gone into it's construction I could not of made it any cheaper so thought I might as well buy ready made.

I am also relaying the track around the station area as I was not happy with it, the magnet uncoupling is more reliable when on a level surface...