The American Steam Locomotive Co Ltd

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

The American Steam Locomotive Co Ltd

Post by RSB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any details / history on the firm "The American Steam Locomotive Co Ltd"? A company which was / is based in Powys, Wales

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

I just purchased this on ebay, and wanted to know the history behind it, as the loco itself looks more like a French Decauville than an American loco.

Here is a photo of a similar looking full size loco -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... uville.JPG

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Not quite in the beginning, there was a newsagent called Tom Cooper who got into garden railways. He put an LGB layout in his shop window and started selling a few bits, including steam locos from a German firm called Beck- which unlike traditional British steam locos ran on this strange stuff called gas.

Eventually, he started to be a bit more ambitious, modifying the Beck locos to look more British and thus was born the Merlin Locomotive Works. Eventually he outgrew the Beck-based designs and started making his own, at a factory on the banks of the Banwy in Llanfair. Unfortunately he was a better hobby visionary than businessman. Merlin fell on hard times, and the creditors had him removed and the company put in charge of its former accountant. Fortunately this worthy knew lots about numbers and money. Unfortunately she knew little about small locomotives. Fortunately she cleverly found ways to save the company money. Unfortunately one of these was getting rid of some senior engineering staff. Fortunately costs went down. Unfortunately so did sales as quality declined. Fortunately the ex-engineer went on to found his own company which went on to achieve great things as Pearse Engineering. Unfortunately Merlin went under and disappeared.

Meanwhile, undaunted, Tom Cooper set up another Garden Railway business, Steamlines Models and Publications. This offered an irregular magazine "steamlines" (later to become Garden Railway World before being swallowed by GR), and some products- most of which were made by other people like the Motor Mule (Roger Hine/Friog) and Mr Merlin's Pooter (a Roundhouse special with modified bodywork).

At heart Tom was a pioneer, and when the 16mm market got crowded he looked for another unique approach. Buying an expensive CNC machining centre, he came up with a very unusual design of live steam model that featured a chassis chewed out of a solid metal block in one piece. Some designs were for 16mm and some for 22.5mm/ft (7/8" before it took off). There were British Bagnalls, generic American machines (hence the new company name) and the European-style beastie you've acquired. I don't think many were made before poor health overtook Mr Cooper and the business faded away.

On the plus side, you've got a machine which is rare if not unique, and very solid thanks to its idiosnycratic construction. OTOH, try not to break anything as finding spares will definitely be a big problem.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 pm

I was going to say there's something very Merlin about the bottom half.

I know nothing about it but it's a very lovely, well detailed, and unusual engine. Bit of a bargain I reckon.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 pm

I reckon there is some roger marsh on that too

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 am

TommyDodd:52731 wrote:Not quite in the beginning, there was a newsagent called Tom Cooper who got into garden railways. He put an LGB layout in his shop window and started selling a few bits, including steam locos from a German firm called Beck- which unlike traditional British steam locos ran on this strange stuff called gas.

Eventually, he started to be a bit more ambitious, modifying the Beck locos to look more British and thus was born the Merlin Locomotive Works. Eventually he outgrew the Beck-based designs and started making his own, at a factory on the banks of the Banwy in Llanfair. Unfortunately he was a better hobby visionary than businessman. Merlin fell on hard times, and the creditors had him removed and the company put in charge of its former accountant. Fortunately this worthy knew lots about numbers and money. Unfortunately she knew little about small locomotives. Fortunately she cleverly found ways to save the company money. Unfortunately one of these was getting rid of some senior engineering staff. Fortunately costs went down. Unfortunately so did sales as quality declined. Fortunately the ex-engineer went on to found his own company which went on to achieve great things as Pearse Engineering. Unfortunately Merlin went under and disappeared.

Meanwhile, undaunted, Tom Cooper set up another Garden Railway business, Steamlines Models and Publications. This offered an irregular magazine "steamlines" (later to become Garden Railway World before being swallowed by GR), and some products- most of which were made by other people like the Motor Mule (Roger Hine/Friog) and Mr Merlin's Pooter (a Roundhouse special with modified bodywork).

At heart Tom was a pioneer, and when the 16mm market got crowded he looked for another unique approach. Buying an expensive CNC machining centre, he came up with a very unusual design of live steam model that featured a chassis chewed out of a solid metal block in one piece. Some designs were for 16mm and some for 22.5mm/ft (7/8" before it took off). There were British Bagnalls, generic American machines (hence the new company name) and the European-style beastie you've acquired. I don't think many were made before poor health overtook Mr Cooper and the business faded away.

On the plus side, you've got a machine which is rare if not unique, and very solid thanks to its idiosnycratic construction. OTOH, try not to break anything as finding spares will definitely be a big problem.
Many Thanks for the history, certainly makes interesting reading, and has covered pretty much everything I asked!

When it arrives I shall take some more photos to add to this thread.

I thinks it will go well with the Wightscale Kerr Stuart Wren I have!

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 pm

Send photo etc to Derek WIGGINS of the Heritage team at the 16mm NGM association

heritage@16mm.org.uk

I am sure he can help as he has contacts with many who built these locos

Cracking find

Crackingjob

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Crackingjob:52776 wrote:Send photo etc to Derek WIGGINS of the Heritage team at the 16mm NGM association

heritage@16mm.org.uk

I am sure he can help as he has contacts with many who built these locos

Cracking find

Crackingjob
Thanks very much I will do!

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Well yesterday the loco arrived, and I must say I'm very impressed by the build quality, and detail the loco has.

I've steamed it on my rolling road and at approx 10psi the loco happily started to run. The regulator is the brake handle at the back of the cab. At 90 degrees to the cab back the regulator is off, but if you turn the handle to the right the loco goes forward, and when moved to the left the loco will move in reverse.

Here are some photos taken yesterday evening of the loco after running.

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Sun May 01, 2011 9:09 pm

That's a really lovely model - and an unusual prototype too.
It would look perfect with a rake of small cane wagons 8)

And I think I see my (recently sold) Ruby in the background, hope it's still doing well ;)

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

Those cylinders do look awfully like 'Ogwen' ones.....I'd love to know more about this loco, the history above was fascinating, I didn;t know about this part of the Merlin story.

NHN
Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Tue May 03, 2011 7:57 am

Nomis:52976 wrote:That's a really lovely model - and an unusual prototype too.
It would look perfect with a rake of small cane wagons  8)

And I think I see my (recently sold) Ruby in the background, hope it's still doing well  ;)
It certainly is your old Ruby, and she certainly enjoys running round the new railway :)

samcevansuk
New User
New User

Re: The American Steam Locomotive Co Ltd

Post by samcevansuk » Thu May 26, 2011 5:54 pm

I just purchased this on ebay, and wanted to know the history behind it, as the loco itself looks more like a French Decauville than an American loco.
You are correct, it was based on a Decauville Prototype, IIRC possibly the ones sent to Australia to the sugar industry.

See http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_rail/qld/ ... uville.pdf

He also did a UK prototype with the CNC machine which he called after his wife, Eileen. This was based on a Barclay ?Class A? tank of which a number were built for civil engineering contractors, for 3 ft ga. Morrison and Mason of Glasgow had a number of these inc one which survived at the BAC plant at Foyers, later moved to the SRPS at Boness, and currently being restored for duty on an Irish line AFAIK. This loco, formerly M & M No 5 was built new for the Elan Valley Pipeline project and I have a photo of it and two other locos on this contract at Bucknell, Salop, where my Grandfather saw it as a boy.

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 pm

samcevansuk:54072 wrote:
You are correct, it was based on a Decauville Prototype,  IIRC possibly the ones sent to Australia to the sugar industry.

See http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_rail/qld/ ... uville.pdf

He also did a UK prototype with the CNC machine which he called after his wife, Eileen.  This was based on a Barclay ?Class A? tank of which a number were built for civil engineering contractors, for 3 ft ga.  Morrison and Mason of Glasgow had a number of these inc one which survived at the BAC plant at Foyers, later moved to the SRPS at Boness, and currently being restored for duty on an Irish line AFAIK. This loco, formerly M & M No 5 was built new for the Elan Valley Pipeline project and I have a photo of it  and two other locos on this contract at Bucknell, Salop, where my Grandfather saw it as a boy.
Thanks for your replay, more interesting info!

The PDF drawing is great!

Going through a narrow gauge book recently, I also noted that a group of very similar Decauville locos were used in mineral mines in Nouvelle-Calédonie.

I would certainly be interested in seeing one of the Barclay style locos Mr Cooper produced - anyone with photos?

Jordan-Leeds
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jordan-Leeds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm

I have one of the barclay style locos and will post a photo shortly . would be interested in speaking with you RSB as my loco is missing some parts and im planning to make some replacement bits to get it running .Image
Untitled by jordan leeds photography, on Flickr

Untitled by jordan leeds photography, on Flickr

The majority of the motion is missing and the valve rods are bent so will be replaced with replacement in stainless or Silver steel the axles also require replacing with longer ones so that the cranks do not rub on the frames and also they will have proper Axle bearings made up and fitted to the frames Whilst not original to the loco it should improve running and stop the Aluminium frame wearing

Jordan-Leeds
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jordan-Leeds » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I have the Instruction book if your interested in a copy?

Busybodies021151
New User
New User

Post by Busybodies021151 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:05 pm

Hello
You mentioned back in 2013 you had an instruction book for the little giant bu Stemlin4s Tom Cooper……
Do you still have it?….if so could I have some photos of the pages??

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:32 pm

The OP hasn't been seen on the forum since 2014 so it is less than likely that you'll get a reply I'm afraid.
Philip