'The Compton Down Preservation Thread'

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Driver
Driver

'The Compton Down Preservation Thread'

Post by 90733 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 am

The idea of this thread was NarrowMindeds idea orginally, so, the idea is to keep updated, text and piccies, of any compton down stock you may own now in 'preservation'.
So I better start:
Polly- Polly was in a bad stae when she arrived, chassis wise, so a new one was sourced, this has now been fitted and balck paint ben repainted, only red to repaint, so heres a shiny new polly:
No Video yet!

Next is the Panto Trolley. Unfortuatley, although it works, it doesn't very well at all, so that needs fixing. ANy way heres the pics:
Sorry about the bad photos! I will post pics of my wagons nxt week, and hopefully aby other updates :D

So lets see yours :D
Thanks
Jack

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Here's my collection..........'

'Compton Steel', a lovely slow runner with a Compton open wagon (rather fragile).

No 8, a much modified mamod and vey controllable.

'Lyonesse', a 2 1/2 " gauge static model of a Boulton loco (as seen in  Peter Jones' book Building Small Steam locomotives)  

A vintage bogie coach (built in the 1970's)

Ian of the SLR(N)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Compton down Preservation Thread

Post by Mrs F Controller » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Hope I've done this right, funny feeling that I won't have! The MPLR purchased 'Queen' from the Compton Down Railway about 4 years ago now, she happened to be my own first loco. We had stumbled across it by sheer chance as we purchased a whole load of used track via ebay and found ourselves picking it up from Compton Down. While we were there we also purchased 'Rustin' and 'Queen'. Queen needed some tlc and a some help to get going as she wasn't working. But she works lovely now and is definitely queen of the MPLR. Still my most favourite of locos.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 pm

What a nice loco :D
Thanks
Jack

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:18 pm

I own a heavily "Comptonfied" LGB tourist coach and caboose

proudly flying in the face of convention

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Finaly mine! :)

not much to say apart from used to be recharable but now runs with battery box behind it using 3volts instead of 4.5v and control is via the Regulator in the cab... very nice loco!! there is a vid of it in another post of mine under general garden railways i think

Size... looks good with coopercraft wagons though
Ta,

Sam :)

Dude where's my car!!.....Dude get a life!...Get swift cover 8)

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Oh and dont worry its not dusty!! :) its just how the paint has been weathered i think... no mods are goign to be done apart from finding a place to fit battery box...or moove it to a permenant vehicle
Ta,

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:06 am

Sammmm:50791 wrote:no mods are goign to be done apart from finding a place to fit battery box...or moove it to a permenant vehicle
Would it go underneath the loco anywhere? If not perhaps make like a large wooden tool box to hide it under on the running plate or something?

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 am

The "other" Compton Steel loco in preservation at the Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway.....

She arrived with three of the bogie flat wagons, which along with the loco constitutes a preserved Compton Down train ;)

(My, that scene's changed a bit this year!)

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 am

mhlr:50795 wrote:
Sammmm:50791 wrote:no mods are goign to be done apart from finding a place to fit battery box...or moove it to a permenant vehicle
Would it go underneath the loco anywhere? If not perhaps make like a large wooden tool box to hide it under on the running plate or something?
Afraid there's minimal space under the loco and minimal space on the foot plate :( the original rechargeable batteries were under the saddle tank but that takes about 30mins to remove >.<
Ta,

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Sammmm:50799 wrote:Afraid there's minimal space under the loco and minimal space on the foot plate :( the original rechargeable batteries were under the saddle tank but that takes about 30mins to remove >.<
Couldn't you fit a charging jack so you don't need to remove them?

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 pm

mhlr:50830 wrote:
Sammmm:50799 wrote:Afraid there's minimal space under the loco and minimal space on the foot plate :( the original rechargeable batteries were under the saddle tank but that takes about 30mins to remove >.<
Couldn't you fit a charging jack so you don't need to remove them?
It currently has on and when i got it i replaced the recharable ones with new ones and nothing happend after a charge so i gave u pthe hassle and just stuck a battery box on the end :)
Ta,

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello Folks, long time no forum...

Great to see the flock are still happy and very well homed... lovely to hear about Queen - looks to be very similar to Sir Compton. Well done Jack... look forward to seeing action shots of Polly!

Had a good set of engines, some resident and some visiting running here on Compton Original on Sunday - Steve got some good footage of a very pleasant afternoon..

<object width="480" height="390"><param ... ></object>

Sam.... next time you come to Llechfan am sure we'll give you a hand to sort out rechargeables.. ;)

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Sir John BAKER

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Here is Sir John after a better motor fix...the orginal worm was damaged hense the original motor blowing
Just the vans to fix in a distressed Jones style
Crackingjob
Running with Dads coach

note tatty Lima wagons

sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by sandy1000 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 am

CDR relic. Current location Melbourne, Australia.

"Dain Ironfoot" was not a CDR locomotive but was of that early era, may have run on the CDR and certainly the two owners would have known each other. It was bought at a 16mm sale, was featured in an early 16mm Today and ran up and down a window sill by my two sons, ages 7 and 9, the effect later resulting in major expemditure over the years. Even today however there is something magical about pushing the floor mounted lever forward or backwards resulting in ancient clankings and whirrings as "Dain Ironfoot" plodded along. Pretty basic but there it is

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

kes:52395 wrote:
Sam.... next time you come to Llechfan am sure we'll give you a hand to sort out rechargeables.. ;)
Thanks! i had some that i tried and i wired them as they had been before but after 10 hours charging nothing happend so i assumed it was the charger so i just made a quick fix :)
Ta,

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 10, 2011 1:09 am

Chaquan:53291 wrote:Under the Railway purchased from Compton 'Queen' MPLR about 4 years ago, and now, she happens to be my first engine. We stumbled by chance, because we bought a full load for tracking through eBay and found myself picking it under the Compton cross it...
It's late, I'm tired, could someone please explain to me what this is all about?? ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 am

Ditto late & Tired but it looks like utter boolacks to me? Is this kind of new key word spam or something?
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Curious... has the air of a free translation engine to me.... has the Queen gone abroad? will be interested if anything comes to light.... :idea:

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Compton down Preservation Thread

Post by Mrs F Controller » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Rather worried about this! Cos if you look at the quote below it was from me and the words have just been jumbled up to appear to be a nonsense quote by 'Chaquan' ????? :(
Mrs F Controller:49762 wrote:Hope I've done this right, funny feeling that I won't have!  The MPLR purchased 'Queen' from the Compton Down Railway about 4 years ago now, she happened to be my own first loco.  We had stumbled across it by sheer chance as we purchased a whole load of used track via ebay and found ourselves picking it up from Compton Down.  While we were there we also purchased 'Rustin' and 'Queen'.  Queen needed some tlc and a some help to get going as she wasn't working.  But she works lovely now and is definitely queen of the MPLR.  Still my most favourite of locos.

I can assure you that the 'Queen' that I purchased from Peter is still sitting in my lounge on the shelf with all the other much loved locos of the MPLR! :)

I am only worried because has someone managed to hack into this site ??? And why bother??? Is it possible??