IP Penrhyn Quarrymans

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
taliesin001

IP Penrhyn Quarrymans

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 pm

I went to Glendale junction today and despite saying to my grandad the other day that I wasn't going to buy any other rolling stock that was from a railway that I hadn't already got stock for (did order an andel D class wagon there though) I went and bought one of these. The reason! I should hopefully be going to the show at llanberis in february and thought that as we would probably be taking 'Marchlyn' it would need something authentic to pull with the FR slate wagons. I got the parts out when I got home and started painting. I decided that I didn't like how the rivets are just engraved circles, so i began drilling a hole halfway through, cutting down the rivets and putting them in, all until halfway through and ran out of track pins. Tomorrow will be a trip to the model shop to get some more! I am trying to decide whether to leave the coach in undercoat grey or paint it red. I might run it in undercoat for a while and then repaint it.
Image
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

spooner

Post by spooner » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 pm

I use craft pins from Hobby Craft.Thay are thicker than PECO track pins.

Mr ACME

Re: IP Penrhyn Quarrymans

Post by Mr ACME » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 am

taliesin001:46708 wrote:I am trying to decide whether to leave the coach in undercoat grey or paint it red.  I might run it in undercoat for a while and then repaint it.
Hello

The correct colour is Brinjal which is the name of a Indian chutney.

I bought mine as a acrylic from the paint manufacturer Farrow and Ball.

Our local garden centre stocks all their paints, so why not try one in your area.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Just about finished this carriage now. I decided to paint it a maroon colour that i already had, probably doesn't look as nice as the proper colour but looks OK, it's close to the colour that penrhyn have painted their restored one. gave it a bit of weathering, this looks quite good I think and tones down the gloss paintwork. Looks good with the quarry hunslet (yes I know it's dinorwic but still!) All ready for Llanberis! (hopefully). While we're on the point, who's going?

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Now that does look nice! :D and i really do love the quarry hunslet, i think that also looks spot on! :D

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow, Very Nice!! :D , The rivets look great too :D

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Get your paints out and paint that hunslet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach looks nice, the rivits make the world of difference

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

They say "the devil's in the detail" and it must have been a devil of a job drilling out all those rivet holes then cutting and gluing the pins, but boy! the detail really makes a difference!
Nice one :D

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 am

Very nice, but are you going to paint the wheels?
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks everyone, sir haydn, the loco was supposed to be painted by now! My grandads going to do it, but I haven't been able to give it back yet.
TonyW:46893 wrote:Very nice, but are you going to paint the wheels?

I was thinking about that, but may get some spoked ones whicj I think will improve the appearence.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Added some hooks to allow the coach to be coupled to the slate wagons. Thought that these pics looked better as they were taken in daylight


Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:22 pm

That looks really cool. Just needs a few quarry men & it'll be perfect

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Bought some wheels from spooner this afternoon. It took under 5 minutes to replace the old ones with these and the change in appearence is huge, much better. Also rolls more freely aswell!
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

User avatar
TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 am
Location: 'Up North'

Post by TheChestnutLine » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 am

taliesin001:46877 wrote: I decided to paint it a maroon colour that i already had, probably doesn't look as nice as the proper colour but looks OK, it's close to the colour that penrhyn have painted their restored one.

Hello :) I'm new here.

What was the maroon colour you used? It's rather nice :) I think the Brinjal colour My ACME suggested is rather expensive at £17.50 for 750ml.
James

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:58 am

TheChestnutLine:48931 wrote:
taliesin001:46877 wrote: I decided to paint it a maroon colour that i already had, probably doesn't look as nice as the proper colour but looks OK, it's close to the colour that penrhyn have painted their restored one.

Hello :) I'm new here.

What was the maroon colour you used? It's rather nice   :)  I think the Brinjal colour My ACME suggested is rather expensive at £17.50 for 750ml.
Welcom,
this doesnt happen to be your line does it?
http://s1.webstarts.com/The-Chestnut-Line/
Thanks
Jack

Mr ACME

Post by Mr ACME » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 pm

90733:48936 wrote:
TheChestnutLine:48931 wrote:
taliesin001:46877 wrote: I decided to paint it a maroon colour that i already had, probably doesn't look as nice as the proper colour but looks OK, it's close to the colour that penrhyn have painted their restored one.

Hello :) I'm new here.

What was the maroon colour you used? It's rather nice   :)  I think the Brinjal colour My ACME suggested is rather expensive at £17.50 for 750ml.
Welcom,
this doesnt happen to be your line does it?
http://s1.webstarts.com/The-Chestnut-Line/
What I recommended was the test sample pot which only costs a £3.50 and is more than enough to paint several of these I've made in 7/8* scale, so in 16mm you should be able to paint a whole rake.

http://www.paint-paper.co.uk/paints-sta ... at_14.html

Mike Ousby
Last edited by Mr ACME on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Were the originals brown!

User avatar
TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 am
Location: 'Up North'

Post by TheChestnutLine » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:32 am

[/quote]
Welcom,
this doesnt happen to be your line does it?
http://s1.webstarts.com/The-Chestnut-Line/[/quote]

Yes it is. :) Not exactly 'Mine' but I've helped build it with the father. :)
James

User avatar
TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 am
Location: 'Up North'

Post by TheChestnutLine » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:34 am

[/quote]

What I recommended was the test sample pot which only costs a £3.50 and is more than enough to paint several of these I've made in 7/8* scale, so in 16mm you should be able to paint a whole rake.

http://www.paint-paper.co.uk/paints-sta ... at_14.html

Mike Ousby[/quote]

Thanks Mike I may have to get me some of that! :D
James

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm

TheChestnutLine:49004 wrote:
Welcom,
this doesnt happen to be your line does it?
http://s1.webstarts.com/The-Chestnut-Line/[/quote]

Yes it is. :) Not exactly 'Mine' but I've helped build it with the father. :)[/quote]
Cool, I belive your fairly local to me, Welcome :D
Thanks
Jack

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests