Post by ACLR » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:35 am

Just finished watching it
I found it a bit different and not as good as earlier shows
what did every one else think ??

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:42 am

it was a clever twist on the dickens version. I liked the time travelling interplay from the old to young scrouge character

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:56 am

I'm not to sure either.

I thought overall it was a good story, but I disliked how the doctor could just go around rewritting someones entire life, when in previous episodes, it was quite clearly shown that any major changes in events would cause the reapers to appear.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:57 am

Previously I had got the impression the Doctor wasn't allowed to do things like that, travel back to change things for the future.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:23 pm

SillyBilly:45413 wrote:Previously I had got the impression the Doctor wasn't allowed to do things like that, travel back to change things for the future.
Don't forget the time travelling roman centurion episode where he hopped back and forward to change things to escape pandoras box. that had a very similar story (Doctor change things in past to get future outcome)

George
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by George » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 pm

i thought it was very good, even though like others have said that in previeous shows it was shown the doctor couldnt really do somthing like this i thought it was very good, and the singing from Charlotte Church was amazing which i think helped add a little magic to it :)
George also known as Sharky

North Norfolk Railway TTI & Cleaner

http://sandnlr.webs.com/
(\__/)
(='.'=)  
(")_(")

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:31 pm

George:45418 wrote:i thought it was very good, even though like others have said that in previeous shows it was shown the doctor couldnt really do somthing like this i thought it was very good, and the singing from Charlotte Church was amazing which i think helped add a little magic to it :)
AHEM!

Katherine Jenkins, I think you'll find ;) Highlight of the show for me!

George
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by George » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 pm

MTA:45419 wrote:
George:45418 wrote:i thought it was very good, even though like others have said that in previeous shows it was shown the doctor couldnt really do somthing like this i thought it was very good, and the singing from Charlotte Church was amazing which i think helped add a little magic to it :)
AHEM!

Katherine Jenkins, I think you'll find ;)  Highlight of the show for me!
whoops :lol: :lol: :oops:
George also known as Sharky

North Norfolk Railway TTI & Cleaner

http://sandnlr.webs.com/
(\__/)
(='.'=)  
(")_(")

Tobias
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tobias » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:59 pm

is it only me who noticed the mamod flat base on the boys desk and the large model steam mill engine on another table :? :? :D
steams up!

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Tobias:45424 wrote:is it only me who noticed the mamod flat base on the boys desk and the large model steam mill engine on another table :?  :?  :D
yes but well spotted :D

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Tobias:45424 wrote:is it only me who noticed the mamod flat base on the boys desk and the large model steam mill engine on another table :?  :?  :D
I spotted it. It's an SE1, SE1a or an SE2. I told my [voice=inbetweeners]doctor who friends[/voice] & they were surprised I noticed it. I said, & I quote, I could see a shiny brass object. I paused & (as a toy steam fan) found out it was a Mamod

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Must say I wasn't particualy impressed, it was ok but no more. The first 15 mins I think were great, but then it just petered out.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:18 pm

laalratty:45440 wrote:Must say I wasn't particualy impressed
I have to agree. I don't see the point in making the killer monsters fish that like singing. If I was my Timelord character & I landed there. I'd rock everybody's minds out with Iron Maiden songs b& kill the stupid fish. The Mamod is the highlight

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:45407 wrote:it was a clever twist on the dickens version. I liked the time travelling interplay from the old to young scrouge character
I second that. The idea of "modern reworking of Scrooge" had the potential to be very cliched, but I really felt they succeeded in making it new and fresh.

As for any inconsistencies with previous episodes, I think they can be explained away by remembering that the Doctor has a far better understanding of the laws of time travel than we do! The writers would be impossibly constrained if they had to constantly worry about contradicting 770 previous episodes. (Yes, I did look that up on Wikipedia, and yes, somebody, somewhere did update that yesterday.)

Suspending your disbelief is essential if you are to watch and enjoy any naturalistic piece of film of theatre...

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I just found this on you tube for all fans who can suspend disbelief (I'll explain later!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC ... =recentlik

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 pm

bit late i know but i found it rather dissapointing. christmas doctor who episodes in the past have been the best of the best but this one wasnt. it was essentaily a rip off of another story, not an original idea and i just didnt really enjoy it that much. But oh well i suppose you cant write excellent storylines all the time! got to have a few flops to keep the good ones going.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 am

MoelygestLR:46271 wrote:christmas doctor who episodes in the past have been the best of the best but this one wasnt. it was essentaily a rip off of another story, not an original idea and i just didnt really enjoy it that much
They've been a bit of a mix, IMHO. Starship Titanic was fantastic but the Victorian Cybermen didn't really do it for me...

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 am

it was the nuts.  My family were all like "wtf is a shark doing flying about?"  

me:  "calm down, its FICTION  :lol: "

starship Titanic was awesome!