Live Steam radio control

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
stuh256
Cleaner
Cleaner

Live Steam radio control

Post by stuh256 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi I've just converted my Gauge 1 Models 4MT to radio control. At first all seemed well but it has now started breaking servos very quickly! Are there any specific servos to use on live steam that are heat resistant? I notice roundhouse have their servos very close to the boiler! I'm using 2.4Ghz set from an art-tech radio controlled plane!

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Hmmm...when you say breaking do you mean burning out?
This could be caused say, if your regulator is closed but the servo has more movement on it. the same applies to valve gear. if when the regulator is closed the servo is making a buzzing sound then this may be your problem. Roundhouse just use standard HiTec servos, nothing fancy

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm with Sir Haydn on that, try checking the servos aren't trying to move more when then can't i.e. the adjustment isn't right.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:27 am

Yeah agree totally, I've burnt out a load of servo's on my RC helicopters like that. Hard to hear a buzzing servo when it's about a 100foot above you! :D
Most modern RC transmiters have a function to adjust the throw of each servo, not always easy to navigate through some of the built in menu functions to find it though.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

stuh256
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by stuh256 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:11 am

Thanks everyone!

I'll agree hard to hear buzzing when saftey valve and blower going too! :) I think by mounting the servo further back i've stopped it pushing all the time so fingers crossed. Have to say i'm loving radio control though much less running round the garden!!

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Metal geared servos are available, and Hitec do ones that are as small as 10mm thick.