Page 1 of 1

Newbie track bed advice.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 am
by RoyP
Now retired and about to downsize to a new house with the view that I may now be able to have my own, small, 16mm garden line.

Advice as to what materials and how to construct a track base would be appreciated, bearing in mind that I have a dodgy back and am not able to shift lots of earth or cement.

The site in question is level, and the motive power would be battery as I don't think finances would go to steam!

Thanks,
Roy.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:32 pm
by pauly
get a young person to dig a trench and fill it with sharp gravel then lay the track on top and ballast it in.

works fine for me

Image

or just put some posts into th eground and build ontop of them.
Image

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm
by mhlr
Some people sink 'Thermolite blocks' into the ground and cement them inplace, then screw the track to them. I think they're a much lighter version of breeze blocks.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
I was considering building foundations of a two brick high wall sunk into the ground. then track screwed in. There will also be some wood planks which I used for the shelves...

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:I was considering building foundations of a two brick high wall sunk into the ground. then track screwed in. There will also be some wood planks which I used for the shelves...
Pretty much what i'm doing as well! :D