Is this a first?

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Is this a first?

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:20 am

I have a video on youtube (link at the bottom) of my mamod locos (No.s 449 H.G.Butler and 450, Britomart) while Britomart was on a trail run of meths (which was only meant to last 5 minutes, but ended for for 5 hours!
During this time I got serveral vids and I managed to fit a camera actually into the cab of H.G.Butler and videoed a cab ride.
Is this a first for youtube? as I have searched around on there, but I can't find another one.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Nice to see a new up and coming railway what are the next steps?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:52 pm

well, it is going to be really tricky to build a railway in my garden, as it is all mostly on a really steep slope (most of it more than 1 in 1!) so I am going to have it going along the bottom of the garden for about 100metres.
Afterwards, climb up the side slowly, and possibly have a tunnel cut out of a solid piece of slate rock (that's the plan), then have a runround and make the line go back on it'self and have a looooong cutting out of a mini cliff face to the top of the garden.

The only problem with this is becuase of 2 reasons:

I have a walkers path going right through where I want to build the railway

I am going to need a couple of powerful locos (not 3 mamods which I currently have!)

Sorry if none of this makes any sense, it's hard to describe without any pictures!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:55 pm

I shouldn't worry, I have a tiny little courtyard and still managed to fit a railway in. In order to extend it I'll need a continuous gradient on half of it of 1 in 35! humph! Good luck I'm sure you'll do it!
(flowers, chocolates and doing washing up are all really great ways of getting planning permision- that and offering to do all the gardening!)
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Well, the gardening bit is going to be a bit tricky, as it is 4 acres!, but hopefully soon I might be getting an Edrig (if my parents will hurry up!) and either more rolling stock or track, but it's worth a try!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm

What if you raised the lower end upwards, using posts and boards(with roofing felt ontop)... like I have done on on a section of my railway? Then you can get it mostly level?

That's an older picture, all the posts have been painted dark green now to blend in nicely.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 pm

erm, lets just say that if I was to get in all in level with where I want the railway to end, the stilts will be around 100f in the air!!!

When I get home next i'll get some pictures to help visualise it