Baseboard Construction

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Baseboard Construction

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:05 pm

(I think this is the right place for this topic, I can't see a section for baseboards; perhaps someone will re-direct me if it is better posted elsewhere)

I have a raised station area, 18ft by 2ft, constructed of 18mm ply (supported by three longitudinal beams) covered in roof felt. It has lasted 25 odd years but now needs replacing. Last time I used marine ply but that is now almost £200 for an 8 x 4ft sheet (and I need two), so the obvious question, what else could I use?
Standard ply is about £35 a sheet so if I cover it better than I did last time would that last OK? Or are there any other materials now available that could be used?

philipy

Re: Baseboard Construction

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:00 pm

It's a thorny question and everybody has a different opinion!
I think you've done pretty well getting 25 years from ply but I can understand your reluctance to spend £200 a sheet to replace it.

Personally, I'd suggest using felt covered decking boards on a framework of treated timber and held up by square rainwater downpipes set in Postcrete.

Using plastic sheet materials tend to be affected by heat/cold and give buckling/warping problems.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:32 pm

Yes, I agree with Philip. These days it's hard to get good quality weatherproof ply - basically, you get what you pay for! I've used tanalised fence rails and they have lasted years (not quite as long as your ply). Some cheaper untreated timber I used to fill a couple of gaps have very quickly rotted away - a false economy. So fence rails or decking boards are definitely the way to go.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:52 pm

I agree with both replies, my gravel boards (decking boards by another name) which are pressure treated, 6"x1" softwood, have shown no signs of deterioration during the past eleven years. Supported off the ground and covered with roofing felt they are still firm foundation. A coat of preservative might give extra protection while still accessible.
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG (165.07 KiB) Viewed 404 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:18 pm

I disagree with Philip :lol:
philipy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:00 pm It's a thorny question and everybody has a different opinion!
So far three people have the same opinion. Actually, make that four, decking board is probably the way I'd do it too.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Warwickshiresteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Warwickshiresteam » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:02 pm

Thanks very much for the responses; one query, when the gravel boards dry out have you had problems with them slightly warping across the width so, say, 4 laid side by side creates a slightly wavy surface making it difficult to keep track flat?

And a PS: When I said the ply lasted 25 years, to be strictly accurate it has been in place 25 years - one bit was replaced 10 years ago and the rest has been laminating badly for almost as long, so I really only got about 15 good years!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:59 pm

Warwickshiresteam wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:02 pm Thanks very much for the responses; one query, when the gravel boards dry out have you had problems with them slightly warping across the width so, say, 4 laid side by side creates a slightly wavy surface making it difficult to keep track flat?

As shown in my picture, I have more than four planks side by side and haven't had such an issue. However, I live in West Wales, which is notorious for being wet, so I doubt my boards were dry when installed! To avoid swelling it might be a good idea to add some moisture before fixing so they can only shrink.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 pm

I use fibre cement sheeting, I have found that I have to use the external type as the type for use under eaves does not really stand up that well to being wet. Its OK while in place but handling it wet takes a lot of care.
I overcame that by painting it with a cheap exterior weatherproof paint.
I find it easy to cut using a diamond concrete blade in an angle grinder.

The type in the blog post pictures below is exterior which I also painted to get rid of the bright white colour.
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... cross.html
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

Fibre cement sheeting is available from the usual stockists in the UK, usually advertised as bathroom tiling backing sheet. I have 2 boards which have been stored outside ready for a project I have not yet got around to. They are completely unaffected by the elements so far (rain, frost and sunlight). Properly supported, these are the way I shall go.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077