shunting on the SAR

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

shunting on the SAR

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:13 pm

I'm always interested in seeing how shunting operations were carried out on real NG railways, so when my near neighbour (Clive) sent me this video he'd discovered of a Garratt shunting on the SAR, I was intrigued.

What surprised and pleased me was the pace at which the manoeuvre was carried out. Very reassuring that similar operations on the PLR can often be done at a lick!

Clive, who grew up as the son of a station master on one of the SAR 2' lines, has been making a 3D printed model of one of the Garratts which steamed past on a regular basis. He tells me that his cousin's husband worked on the railway and developed a knack of aligning the chopper couplings during shunting by using his foot. ...... He lost his foot! Clive says - "He wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box"

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: shunting on the SAR

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:39 am

I see your point re: shunting speeds. Surprisingly quick. Beats pushing 5 minutes doing a scale run around at a crawl.
I wouldn't be game to stand between wagons to couple up at any speed, never mind putting appendages anywhere near it!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works