Wallingford Industrial Railway Ltd - 4 January 2024 - Inside storage shed

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Andrew

Re: Wallingford Industrial Railway Ltd - 4 January 2024 - Inside storage shed

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:01 pm

Thank you both!

The traverser idea sounds intriguing, but this will be on a scenic (ish!) part of the layout, so probably not what I'm after. Thank you though!

It does make me wonder whether there would be just enough room to have just one entrance (reducing point costs and curvature issues) by putting the three storage roads in the shed on shelf runners as a traverser, but that might just be over-complicating things...

Yes, security's definitely a concern - I think I'd be generally be looking to keep a rake or two of low-value wagons in there, for instant running. A rake of carriages could join them when there's a sudden rainstorm or I'm feeling lazy. If it's viable, a false floor might actually help, disguising the wheeled goodies hiding beneath...

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:37 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:39 pm Can't really remember how high the floor is but I'd think no more than a couple of inches.

On the subect of pointwork, this is crying out to use a system we had in the fiddle yard of a 00 exhibition layout about 40-odd years ago! The 5 FY sidings themselves were straight and parallel but curved inwards towards the approach and then there was a sliding traverser. The exit was straight but the traverser had 5 pieces of track on it, individually curved to join each siding to the straight exit road. Saves masses of length and a huge amount of cost. All it needs is a couple of lengths of ali angle as runners and a couple of lengths of flexitrack cut as appropriate. If you want any more info, let me know and I'll do a sketch.
I would be interested in a sketch and any other info that you could provide please.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:37 am

GAP wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:37 pm
I would be interested in a sketch and any other info that you could provide please.
Graeme, Hopefully this sketch will show what I was trying to describe. The white area with the curved tracks is a traverser simply manually sliding on aluminium angle screwed to the faces of the board either side. The geometry would need to be worked out to get curves etc to work without fouling or being too sharp. This concept worked perfectly for years on the exhibition circuit on a 00 layout.
If you ( or anyone) want to continue this topic, I'm happy to do so but I'll split it into a seperate thread to avoid hijacking this one any further. "Video's" isn't exactly the right place! :oops:
Screenshot 2024-01-09 08.25.49.png
Screenshot 2024-01-09 08.25.49.png (18.67 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:32 am

Clever idea! :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube