Forum youtube channel

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Forum youtube channel

Post by dudeface » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:36 pm

Not all of us have a Youtube channel or wish to start one, but we may want to post videos on the forum, so I propose this idea: A shared Youtube channel is created where forum members can upload videos, or if the channel were abused it could be run by the admin team and members could email videos with the desired title to be uploaded to the channel. The second option might be necessary because the info couldn't just be posted on the forum for everyone to see, although it could be made invisible to non members.
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum youtube channel

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:56 pm

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how a 'shared' video channel would work on YouTube. As far as I know, only the owner of a video channel can upload photos.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:32 pm

I think it would have to be on a new google account that any member can sign into.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:18 am

I don't like to be the big bad wolf, but I don't think a shared logon in YouTube will work for an entire forum. What we have allows YouTube videos for all members to see, so for me personally I think that's enough for us for now.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:08 am

It's an interesting idea but I think I have to be a naysayer here too... among other possible issues, Google has been pushing two-factor authentication on their accounts (including Youtube) which would end up being tied to one person, who would have to stand by and tap "allow" for everybody who wanted to log in. Then there's the potential for people to post inappropriate videos, delete other people's videos, or change the password and hijack the channel.

Any way you slice it, it sounds like more work for the admins, for something anybody (age 13 and up, with parental permission under 18) can do by themselves for free. We do have some members who are a bit more youtube-shy and I think there have been instances of members posting videos on behalf of other members occasionally.

As an alternative, you could do what I usually do and convert the video to a gif using something like Giphy (or Windows Phone equivalent) which can be posted as an image. I try to limit how much I do that though because it slows down the page and I'm trying to be respectful of hosting resources, but it is an option for some short video content:
1858a72a-da78-4b8a-bd68-c94a9108345d.gif
1858a72a-da78-4b8a-bd68-c94a9108345d.gif (5.88 MiB) Viewed 852 times

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:27 pm

It was an idea.... It just occurred to me because the "add content" button or whatever doesn't appear on my channel. I have the old outdated Microsoft Edge and I really don't want to switch to the new one, so really it's my problem. :dontknow: