Ballast - SBR

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Ballast - SBR

Post by Nigel B » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:50 pm

Evening All - as my daughter would say when she’s acting out a stereotypical aspect of her job!!

I use 3mm horticultural grit for ballast, mixed with wood ash. It’s pretty stable and works well. However, I need something that will stay put if we get another deluge like the other week which washed most of it away.

I see references to SBR on various forums; what is its proper name and where can I get some? A link would be immensely helpful!

Cheers

The FeckHallBahn Engineers
FeckHallBahn

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ballast - SBR

Post by drewzero1 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:07 am

Far as I can tell, it stands for "Styrene Butadiene Rubber adhesive". I have seen it referenced a lot (paging Peter Butler) but haven't yet tracked some down for myself.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:06 am

Its is easily available in DIY outlets ( B&Q, Wickes, etc) and also Amazon ( in UK , I can't speak for anywhere else). Just look for SBR or SBR Bond -https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sbr+bond&c ... -doa-p_4_3

BTW, you do want SBR Bond and NOT "PVR Bond" or any of the other products that come up on the same Amazon search. Personally I've found the Everbuild product to be good but I have used other brands.

Edited to add that you do need to protect it from wet until it is 100% dry, because until then, as soon as it gets wet it will go white again and may even wash out. Once really dry it will resist rain, sun and snow in the UK but can't speak for more extreme weather conditions.
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:47 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:06 am Its is easily available in DIY outlets ( B&Q, Wickes, etc) and also Amazon ( in UK , I can't speak for anywhere else). Just look for SBR or SBR Bond -https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sbr+bond&c ... -doa-p_4_3

BTW, you do want SBR Bond and NOT "PVR Bond" or any of the other products that come up on the same Amazon search. Personally I've found the Everbuild product to be good but I have used other brands.

Edited to add that you do need to protect it from wet until it is 100% dry, because until then, as soon as it gets wet it will go white again and may even wash out. Once really dry it will resist rain, sun and snow in the UK but can't speak for more extreme weather conditions.
Hydrostaic Dazza of Potters Orchid Railway is using it in Australian warm temperatures
https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=860
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:40 am

Thanks both, much appreciated.
I am in the UK - may need to wait a week or two before the weather can be relied on!!
FeckHallBahn

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:40 am

Nigel B wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:40 am Thanks all, much appreciated.
I am in the UK - may need to wait a week or two before the weather can be relied on!!
FeckHallBahn

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:17 am

drewzero1 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:07 am Far as I can tell, it stands for "Styrene Butadiene Rubber adhesive". I have seen it referenced a lot (paging Peter Butler) but haven't yet tracked some down for myself.
I see my name is mentioned... not always a good sign! The advice given above is all helpful and I have been using SBR (Everbuild) for many years now. Shop around on eBay. My personal experiences, that is by learning the hard way, have taught me how it works best, so I will list the do's and don'ts for you now...

Do's...

Lay roofing felt underneath the ballast area before applying. (Unless you have a concrete foundation).
Lay your ballast dry first and keep clear of moving point blades etc.
Only use crushed stone... fine to dust. (I find crushed oyster shell works too).
Drip NEAT SBR from a bottle with small spout directly onto the ballast.
Some modellers slightly dampen the stone first but I have not found it necessary.
Flood the area so the SBR completely envelops the ballast.
Protect with plastic sheet for several days to allow full drying.... Can be exposed in hot weather but covered overnight.

Don'ts....

Don't apply directly to a timber foundation.. expansion/contraction will separate the bond.
Don't use horticultural grit or anything of similar size.
Don't use washed stone... smooth rounded surfaces don't bond.
I have no experience of wood ash but I have doubts of it helping in this venture. Floating?
Don't add water or washing-up liquid to the SBR.

All of these suggestions are from my own experience and they work for me. I hope they save you time by not having to repeat my mistakes.
Nothing is permanent and some maintenance will inevitably be required eventually.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:29 pm

Great, Thank you Peter.
The track is laid directly onto granite slabs - I may not get away with using it BUT I do have a fair bit of left over roofing felt...
FeckHallBahn