IP JESSIE

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
DAVID L
Cleaner
Cleaner

IP JESSIE

Post by DAVID L » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 am

Some years ago IP Engineering offered Jessie, an all metal 0-4-0- diesel and Jessica, an extended 0-6-0 version of the same loco. These were big beasts, about the size of a Roundhouse Bertie for comparison, and looked fine in a g-scale context. Sadly, these went out of production quite quickly, though a picture of one still lurks on the IP website, in the Lineside Detailing section. As others here discovered, these sturdy beasts had an achilles heel, in the shape of a gearbox that consisted of delicate nylon gears contained in two whitemetal castings that had to be glued together, and then glued to the motor. They were not up to the job. I've had a Jessie with an ailing gearbox for many years, and having a bit of time to spare lately, I finally started casting around for a solution. The first thing I turned up was... a new IP product! IP has now got into 3D printing and they have a heavy duty gearbox/motor unit with meaty brass gears in a 3D printed casing. Before wielding my credit card, I dropped Ivan a line asking if he thought it was compatible with an old Jessie loco, and he replied that it was designed as a drop-in fit. Strangely, this is not specified in the product description, so I thought it might be useful info for any Jessie owner or anyone who comes across one for sale or in bits somewhere. The motor duly arrived and even has the correctly placed hole for the brass rod that locates the motor in the frames, whereas with the original one you had to drill the hole yourself. I've now removed the original rather fiddly manual speed control and fear I shall shortly be walking through the valley of the shadow of radio control and soundcards, so wish me luck!
Attachments
IPMOTOR.png
IMG_2274.JPG

-steves-
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: IP JESSIE

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Great find and great explanation. :thumbup:

If you go down the RC route, which I happen to think is the best way then I would recommend t go to RC Trains route (absolutely no affiliation just a very satisfied customer) and use one of their all in one receiver and speed controller units. The are tiny compared to most and you can run up to 12 loco's from one transmitter if you so desire.

Sounds cards seem a bit of a black art, depending on what set up you are going for. I always struggle with mine, but then I use a very complex setup and end up reprogramming the receivers to suit my needs, but at least it's possible and it gives me exactly what I am looking for :thumbup:
Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm

-steves- wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm
Great find and great explanation. :thumbup: Mine has a plastic gearbox in it, which as you say, was pretty useless.

If you go down the RC route, which I happen to think is the best way then I would recommend t go to RC Trains route (absolutely no affiliation just a very satisfied customer) and use one of their all in one receiver and speed controller units. The are tiny compared to most and you can run up to 12 loco's from one transmitter if you so desire.

Sounds cards seem a bit of a black art, depending on what set up you are going for. I always struggle with mine, but then I use a very complex setup and end up reprogramming the receivers to suit my needs, but at least it's possible and it gives me exactly what I am looking for :thumbup:
Last edited by -steves- on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm

Sounds like a good solution. I hope it is robust enough. I got through three gearboxes on my 0-4-0 Jessie before I eventually gave up and bought a USAt motor block. It had extended axles so I could attach the fly cranks, but it had a longer wheelbase and so I had to drill new holes in the chassis sides and make new connecting rods. However, I'm really pleased with the outcome.

No good for 32mm gauge, though, so looks like this is a better alternative.
IMG_6644.JPG
IMG_6692.JPG
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DAVID L
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DAVID L » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi-I'm aware of your Jessie,it looks and sounds great. I think the motor block was a great idea, so if this doesn't live up to expectations, I may go that way too. Can I ask if you are behind RC Trains? I wanted to order some stuff but I can't open the website

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:38 am

DAVID L wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm
Hi-I'm aware of your Jessie,it looks and sounds great. I think the motor block was a great idea, so if this doesn't live up to expectations, I may go that way too. Can I ask if you are behind RC Trains? I wanted to order some stuff but I can't open the website
Hi,

Try this link.

http://rctrains.co.uk

You could always look up Phil Partridge, who is the new owner, on here..... :thumbright:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:56 am

FWLR wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:38 am

You could always look up Phil Partridge, who is the new owner, on here..... :thumbright:
Phil.P is his moniker - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2315

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube