Garden Rail Magazine

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: Garden Rail Magazine

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Sorry guys I didn't mean to start up a discussion about live steam. I was only making a joke (I thought) about it. I've become more interested in wagons and coaches lately and found the article more enjoyable to read than I was expecting. Also in the photographs I thought the garden and railway looked particularly nice as well.

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Keith S wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:03 pm
Sorry guys I didn't mean to start up a discussion about live steam. I was only making a joke (I thought) about it. I've become more interested in wagons and coaches lately and found the article more enjoyable to read than I was expecting. Also in the photographs I thought the garden and railway looked particularly nice as well.
Thanks Keith
I certainly took it as a joke. A problem with email and forum posts is there's always the risk of misinterpretation. A face to face quip has the added bonus of body language to contextualise any utterance. I suppose that's why I sometimes append a Smiley - to reassure folks that my comment is intended to be light-hearted :lol: They can act as the contextualising body language.

I well remember a colleague taking serious offence at a tongue in cheek comment I made in an email which I circulated to the world at large in those days when I used to work for a living - it was when smileys were just coming in as apparently random collections of punctuation marks. ;-}

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Garden Rail Magazine ( Update )

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

Well just got this months Garden Rail Magazine and this is another one of ge-riks articles and I have to say I haven't been disappointed. Well done Rik on another excellent article on "How to be a Scratch-Bodger". You are an inspiration to us all. You show us with just a little imagination how to achieve some many nice models.

Thanks again Rik. Hope you can and will contribute more to GRM....... :thumbright: :thumbright:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

πŸš‚πŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒ

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am
Well just got this months Garden Rail Magazine and this is another one of ge-riks articles and I have to say I haven't been disappointed. Well done Rik on another excellent article on "How to be a Scratch-Bodger". You are an inspiration to us all. You show us with just a little imagination how to achieve some many nice models.

Thanks again Rik. Hope you can and will contribute more to GRM....... :thumbright: :thumbright:
Your postal service must be a lot more efficient than mine. I was wondering when the next edition was due. The electronic version isn't up yet, either.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Aha! It arrived this afternoon. I'd forgotten what a lengthy aricle it was. I hope it's not too boring. I do hope I won't upset too many of the live steam community with my sacriligious after thoughts. :?

Rik
------------------------

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 am

I think you chaps are quite fortunate receiving the mag this early, I realise that you must be subscribers and should enjoy the early privileges but my gripe is that I have a digital subscription and for some months now this has not been available until the planned publication date. In fact last month I didn't receive notification until after the publication date. Rant over!
Phil

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm
.......I do hope I won't upset too many of the live steam community with my sacriligious after thoughts. :?
Rik
Interesting. The first article in the mag is by David Mercer about his very fine Springfield Railway. He has an impressive array of scratchbuilt locos from around the world, including some magnificent beasts from the Lough Swilly. Although he started with live steam, the majority of his locos are now battery electric steam outline, which he prefers to live steam. That's quite reassuring - I thought I was ploughing a lonely furrow in the UK.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

Your postal service must be a lot more efficient than mine. I was wondering when the next edition was due. The electronic version isn't up yet, either.

Rik
It's not that good Rik... :lol: :lol: No it's ok really, at least it comes in the morning and not late afternoon like it was at our old address, even though we are about half a mile away..... :scratch: :scratch:

Got an email this morning at 01.36 showing the electronic version...........
Rod

BorisSpencer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 am

A great magazine this month, so much relevant and interesting content. I would suggest that I now look forward to Garden Rail more keenly than SMT!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 am
A great magazine this month, so much relevant and interesting content. I would suggest that I now look forward to Garden Rail more keenly than SMT!
I agree, my SMT doesn't arrive sometimes and GR has far more content in my view.
Rod