self setting points

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
DLRdan

self setting points

Post by DLRdan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:09 pm

i have just extended my line and have put two points in that are pulled to one side with light springs.the problem is that all the lighter rolling staock are being thrown off. Does any body have this type of point on thier line and if so how are the y done ?

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sat May 02, 2009 9:49 pm

I've brought a Brandbright weighted point lever, and will install it at Afallen at some point. Might be worth trying them as well Dan

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun May 03, 2009 8:52 am

I have a self setting point on the LMS (had 4 at one time). However I also found that very light stock could not cope. As I set the spring action ever lighter I reached a situation where the point no longer reset reliably so I ended up running light stock with added weight which for me negated the lightness as I used that stock with very small and not powerful Locos.

I am not sure that in a relatively rugged outdoor environment there is a good solution to this.

I did tinker with idea of a small magnet under each light wagon and a big one in the track such that as each light wagon rolled over the point blades the magnetic force effectively created additional weight wagon by wagon as it were (rather than weighting the whole train) but I never got a round tuit in the end.

My remaining self setting point is in a section of track that Light stock very very rarely travels over and is provided for service running with more regular stock. I use an old piece of track notched at the end to hold the point over if running light stock now.

Good Luck. ;)

:idea: ps I spring my self setting point using a bit of brass wire suitably trapped between two off set screws and then the end bends over and slots into a hole exposed by removing the peco spring and spring cover. You can bend the the brass along its main length so that it provides varying degrees of springiness.

pauly
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1989
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Post by pauly » Sun May 03, 2009 1:44 pm

A steam propelled life-style.

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Sun May 03, 2009 5:09 pm

interesting idea pauly. unfortunatlythe point blades and checkrails are the same piece do i doubt that sould work. After a lot off messing all the wagons do run over them now, but thanks for the replies.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests