IP Coach Kits

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

IP Coach Kits

Post by HereticUK » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello all! I've been looking at the IP Engineering kits for freelance coaches and they seem to be of a much more reasonable length compared with the Swift Sixteen Classic Bogie coaches. Does anyone have any experience with these kits? Do they go together easily? How easy are they to paint and colour?

Thanks in advance.
Current location: Yaroslavl, Russia

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: IP Coach Kits

Post by JMORG » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 pm

I've made lots of IP carriages throughout my time in the hobby; very easy to make and paint and plenty of scope to modify. They feature separate overlays to make two tone painting and lining easier.
They are much smaller than the Swift Sixteen carriages but the Swift Sixteen carriages are designed to match the Roundhouse locomotives in height and width, length is somewhat similar to the L&B carriages. Again, very easy to make and finish and look mighty impressive once finished with some detailing.
One thing to point out are the bogies from the different manufacturers. Swift Sixteen bogies are superior in ride quality and detailing and are easier to put together IMO, IP's lasercut bogies are very good still though.
Whatever you decide to get, share pictures!

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

The reason I am umming and ahhing about this is because of these things.I am considering the IP coaches simply because they are 13 cm shorter than the Swift Sixteen coaches. It's a big difference when you really want to maximise the space available.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:23 am

The IP kits are more manageable with loops are storage. Try some, I got one of there luggage composites and turned into a guards. I now have one of each carriage except for the plain bogie carriage.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:35 am

There's, of course, nothing stopping me from getting a set of both now that I think about it... ;) Thanks for your help!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 am

Have 2 sets! Remember that most narrow gauge lines (L&B, W&L, WHR) only usually ran with 3 carriages, whilst even the FR only usually had 3/4 bogie carriages (with additional bug boxes if needed) per set.
The forum obviously has many modelling ideas with the various stock you could reference. Swift Sixteen also has it's own gallery you could look at if stuck!

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 pm

I've built a couple of IP kits, I really rate them. I also need shorter carriages.
I've built Swift Sixteen stock too and really rate them too (not built any SS coaches though).

A pretty passable paint job can be achieved by simply painting the parts separately?

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:03 pm

Nice coach, well made and beautifully finished.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Ditto

Tim

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 am

Yes, certainly a very "passable" paint job of a different and likeable livery. I notice you also have the new Accucraft chopper couplings fitted.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 am

LNR wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 amI notice you also have the new Accucraft chopper couplings fitted.
Grant.
I think the one in the picture is the Swift Sixteen brass type.

I have yet to find a supplier in the UK who has the new Accucraft type in stock.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:40 am

AH! my mistake Tom.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:36 am

AFGadd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 pm I've built a couple of IP kits, I really rate them. I also need shorter carriages.
I've built Swift Sixteen stock too and really rate them too (not built any SS coaches though).
A pretty passable paint job can be achieved by simply painting the parts separately?
Immaculate! Even the roof looks felted!?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks, everyone. I didn't mean to "hijack" the thread, just to post an image of an IP kit.

Yes, Swift Sixteen Choppers. I use them throughout. I don't have a great deal of stock so I think it's worth the expense?

The roof is covered with a fine cotton cloth, PVA'd to the ply (edges folded & glued under), sprayed grey and then affixed to the body. Last this I did during construction actually.

NB. I didn't model the interior (I just wanted to prove I could achieve a decent coach). Instead, I painted the inside black and added the windows. Which, incidentally is 2mm perspex and not the thin stuff supplied with the kit. I think it looks so much better?
Andrew

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Hello HeretikUK.

I've built a couple of IP coaches and they were straight forward. As well as the IP and SS coaches you could also consider the Timpdon ones and the Brandbright ones.

Choices, choices! I have the same dilemma. As I already have a rake of old IP coaches I only need one more rake.

I'll be interested to know which you go for. At the moment I'm tempted by the Timpdon ones.

Ian
Ian

cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cheshire » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 am

I have recently made a Timpdon coach and can say that the kit quality is excellent. The real glass for the windows is a nice touch. And they are well designed too. All in all I can't fault their kit. Same for Brandbright. Although I have only made one of each. I have made a few IP Engineering ones, and they just didn't go together quite as perfectly. Nothing major, just not quite the same quality, in my opinion. A bit like buying a premium brand car over a less premium one, both are good, but one has a slight edge! No axe to grind or connection to any manufacturer.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 am

I have to admit, I like the sound of real glass, although I would be quite worried about their fragility... I had a look at the Timpdon coaches and they seem to be a very good choice, mostly because of their length; it would help me to make the most of the space I have available to me.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 am

I have found there are IP kits and IP kits. Some of the older ones that I have acquired secondhand and un-built have been a bit variable in quality. The Guards van I built was decidedly iffy, nothing blindingly obvious but panels not quite square. The newer productions are much, much better and Ivan is most helpful in the case of problems although as his range has been updated over time he may not be able to supply parts for kits no longer in production.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:05 pm

I would have to state that IP kits can be good but thought provoking - Lord Penrhyn saloon, kit from 2015 took two years as it became a chore and not a joy. Cheshire and others mirror my thoughts on this but I understand that kits and building style have been updated since and I am dead tempted to try an IP TR Semi Open no.8, and then fit RG sprung axlebox hangars to.

SW16 I have only tried his Mamod coaches but they were an absolute joy to prime, paint, prep then slot the chassis to the body and attach wheels and axles. 5 were done in 7 days. I had buklt an AnDel brakevan before; resin kits I seem to find better luck with is the moral of the story.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 am

We have a member who also attempted to build Lord Penrhyn's saloon; he eventually gave up but apparently this particular model has been updated.
My only gripe is that some of his kits are MDF; I've built a Gladstone carriage and unfortunately the paint finish is (in my eye) awful because of the MDF. I also have a WHR 23 which came out better BUT drilling holes was "interesting".
Interestingly; I got a NWNGR large open wagon the other day and that's plywood. Anyone know why some kits are MDF and some are ply?