Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 am

DonW wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:39 pm
It is always a good moment when something passes a test. Mind you having seen the photos of your soldering I think we all would have been surprised if it did leak.

Don
Thanks Don, I have a head start with Brass and Silver brazing, I have been involved with making steel bicycle frames for 40 years now.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Why progress is slow on the little loco and the "Potters Orchid Railway" I around the 12.30 mark talking to engineering legend Peter Olds. I was fireman on 967 for the day. I had a drive with 8 on the hook the next day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1O4DHw ... DxwQeklH9w
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

DonW
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 pm

Nice video, like the locos.
Don

Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:45 pm

A simple job started, but it was nice to be in the Red Room last night with ABC jazz on the radio working on my little choo choo.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 pm

A little package arrived at the Llewellyn Locomotive Works from "Stannier Engineering" yesterday.
The workshop manager studies the smoke box saddle casting in his usual pensive manner as the head hand tries to get his head around it. Nice fella but dim at times.
Cast in White Bronze this new investment casting looks sweet.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 pm

In the drought stricken Queensland (all of Australia) there is progress on the front foot plate.
Holes all drilled and 10 BA threads done.
A bit more milling and it will be done.

DonW
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi Dazza
That casting looks very good. Did you make a master first? That will be bolted down onto the footplate you are making all looking very neat,

Don

Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:01 pm

DonW wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 pm
Hi Dazza
That casting looks very good. Did you make a master first? That will be bolted down onto the footplate you are making all looking very neat,

Don
I draw the part in 3D and checked all in my full assembly model. Every part is done this way and then converted to a 2D workshop drawing. I drew another 3D part with some machining allowance added and then sent that file (STL version) to Mike at Stannier Engineering in NewZealand and he prints the wax part and the foundry make the shell mold with the wax and then do the investment casting. Then the postman delivers it to my door. The process takes 2-3 weeks. I have done this for the steam chest covers and the expansion link supports. Pics of this earlier in this thread some where. This all takes time but when the loco is completed and running there will be a full set of proven and accurate drawings for every part, without all the made up bits and vagaries and ommissions that I have have suffered in previous drawings.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 pm

1001 uses for small cut off discs. I simply love em.