The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:54 am

Not a lot happening with any speed at the POR. Captain Plod is at the Rattler every weekend for some time now and back this Wednesday and this weekend. Driver shortage !

Image (Photo by Mark Dorman)

However Captain Plod was to be seen on Rock seeking expeditions along the branch last Friday, Sat afternoon and even Sunday morning before he signed on for his shifts on # 967.

Some grunting, barrow work and perspiration in the increasing humidity had the Dunnydoor station wagon loaded with some suitable material for Slartibartfast to work with. Some Rock was even collected and tossed into the guard's van on Sunday during the turnaround at Amamoor.

After Plod signed off to complete his Sunday shift and the journey home begins he detoured to his last created pick up at a location called the "Dawn". Plod had walked about 14 kms on Friday to look for his special "Railway Rock" locations. This last pickup point was an effort due to trudging and down and back up to the road side through waist high grass carrying 15 -20kg of rock each time by hand. Concerns of big brown snakes did pass by Plod's feeble mind but heavy tramping should send them scurrying away. The loading was completed and then it was back down the Bruce Highway for 160km to get home.

As soon as Plod got home he continued to thrash himself so as to get the rock unloaded straight away before he was completely buckled. This was aided by two glasses of Red Wine into an empty stomach.

As the Rock in the barrow was a bit weighty and Plod was showing signs of fatigue it was thought to be best if it stayed in the barrow after being rolled off from the Dunnydoor and transported to the extension site.

That more rock may be required will be of no surprise in the weeks to come.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:34 am

Pure dedication!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:47 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:34 am Pure dedication!
Gympie (GHIM-pee) is the town that the Mary Valley Rattler is based. It was around 1867 that the area came to world attention due to the discovery of paying amounts of alluvial gold and the resultant gold rush. Over the weekend it is reported that mutterings of "there be gold nuggets in them rocks" were being emitted by Captain Plod as he went about collecting his mineral specimens. Some say he adds to much steam oil to season his can of tea when on the loco, some say he is just totally "Loco" but most agree that he is simply best ignored and let go about with what ever craziness he is up to as it keeps him occupied and less likely to get into serious strife. Mr Specture does often sip some Reds with Captain Plod.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:36 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:47 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:34 am Pure dedication!
[ Mr Specture does often sip some Reds with Captain Plod. [/color][/b]
We taught him well during his visit to West Wales.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:02 pm

To see what might form in one's mind's eye, rock was moved

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:16 pm

Plod brings more flatish rock back from Gympie, this time from the Loco shed compound and the segmented stuff he intends to make little retaining walls with. He is most pleased with this latest haul. There is still few more good specimens to bring back next time when he is up in Gympie and let loose on the loco.

Sunday's Rattler train was canned due to heavy rain and fears of Six Mile Bridge going under yet again, so Plod headed home Saturday after stabling 967 and made good use of Sunday shoving rock around in between showers of rain to get an idea of possibilities before setting them in concrete.

This last rock haul was just what was required, but a few more big rocks will be needed. The chairperson of the POR board of directors was consulted and some valuable input was received and some nagging issues were resolved in regards with the road into the Orchid House station. Bravo MAM.

The rain eased so MAM ran her loco for the first steam down the extension last night. All went well.
The POR looks straight over onto Cabbage Tree Creek that is against the back yard and so MAM come up with a brilliant suggestion for the nagging question of what to call the new station and yard. This is why Plod is a plodder, the bleeding obvious name of "Cabbage Tree Creek" station was lost to him.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:25 pm

Same location at the Potters Orchid Railway, July 2020 during the Covid shut down and this morning 27 months later. Yesterday more LED flood lights and power points were installed. The extra light by a flip of a switch or three is great when doing evening jobs on the railway or when one needs a bit of temporary extra light for tasks such as loco prep etc. Heck what a journey and we have not even begun on buildings and other details. Those alone will absorb the next ten years. 🙂

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:53 pm

That looks so familiar, working on wet, slippery clay was the worst part of my railway construction too . Your efforts have been worthwhile and it looks wonderful now, I'm so impressed.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:33 am

Massive difference Dazza. Well worth the effort you and MAM have put in to get it like that now. Many more hours of running and having a glass of two of wine now.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:26 am

What a transformation!

I remember asking early on, when everything looked like the first picture, if you had a masterplan in mind. You did - and it worked!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:57 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:26 am What a transformation!

I remember asking early on, when everything looked like the first picture, if you had a masterplan in mind. You did - and it worked!
Exactly what I was going to say ....
Looks great, Dazza

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:04 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:26 am What a transformation!

It is fun, a lot of work and time and MAM is terrific, she likes projects and creativity.
A lot of pondering and staring at things. One sits down with beer or glass of red, and wait, I look about, nothing in mind but after after 30-40 mins of nothing, some thing arrives and one gets up and starts moving things, such as rocks, then a picture forms in my head, and then a rough layout of rock and things is the start point.

A lot of rock, heavy rock, moved here and there, then back out for the concrete and replacing to set them in, a lot of concrete all mixed in the wheel barrow by hand.
Did it do my shoulders any harm, no no no no, of course not, no, no no, just one Cortisone injection in the right shoulder required. Did I mention the rocks were very heavy ?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mxs8mG]Image[/url

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:24 pm

Last night I sat, gazed, lit a mosquito coil, gazed, got up and moved rocks and gazed and got up and moved rocks and gazed and got up and moved some rocks.
Called MAM down to cast her eye over the section I am gazing at. MAM confirmed the locations of the stepping rocks which are large flat rocks which will have a bit of extra concrete under them so us fat humans can plod onto them for access reasons.

I have an overall picture of the scene but I focus on a section at a time as I otherwise I am overwhelmed. Then a section is roughed out with rock and stones. Some of the rocks in the picture are just laying about with no location yet or purpose but there to be discovered later. This section I am starting on first is next to the intended wooded trestle bridge. (Lump of white painted plywood for now) It is also the logical kick off point for the concrete rock footings which the rock will be placed into while still wet, and work along the back of the track and then I will fill in the front sections. As one fills in some new little scenes will appear. Places with plants and interesting formations will come. It is all good fun.

Later the signals with working lamps will come (big job), then the buildings, details and I am looking forward to just doing small details things, like a stone wall here and there and so on. I reckon that is 3 -4 years away.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:22 pm

I know you lead a busy life maintaining a business and volunteering on the railway, besides other issues life has a habit of throwing in the way, but you make such progress with your line I have no doubt it will be ready far sooner than you imagine. Yes, the planting will need time to fill out but the structural elements will be ready in no time at the rate you both work together.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:56 pm

The POR permanent way head, Captain Plod has received an official "Please explain this mistake" from the Chair person of the Board of Directors.

Incorrect track spacing

Correct Track Spacing.

Plod promises to do better next time.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:22 pm

Captain Plod gave Taliesin a good running session yesterday with the new Slomo wagon attached which has transformed it's running. Smooth and steady but most enjoyable of of all was the realistic shunting at creep speed in the new Cabbage Tree Creek station yard. The recent Regner whistle fit up was also fun, it gives a good note right down to 15psi, which is good as we trundle around at 15-20 psi for long runs. 46 mins one of them was last night. (The day will come when the track has ballast)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Indisputable evidence for the importance of using the correct measuring equipment.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:26 pm Indisputable evidence for the importance of using the correct measuring equipment.

Yes, agreement here, however this brings up the controversial question of a recognised international standard for the" GRBGBDS". (Garden Railway Beverage Glass Base Diameter Standards) to determine the track spacing.
Confusion will arise with the German Tankard standard mixed with the Scottish Whiskey shot, then the French add their usual confusion with their Champagne glasses, then there is the UK Pint base, so you can see this is fraught with so much peril that even the United Nations will not touch this subject. As we habitate the the land "down under" the problem here is multiplied as all is thrown upside down, so please have sympathy for our confusion. Thus to cope with this hapless situation we just pour another glass.
Is there any other solution?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:34 pm

Oh dear, good grief !

It seems that someone has passed a word to Mr Specture that there may be a problem as he has been spotted this morning surreptitiously measuring his favourite wine glasses in the Llewellyn Locomotive Works Metrology Lab Room. We all know that Australian Red Wines have in recent time become a favourite subject of Mr Specture thus the directors of the POR fear they they may be soon receiving an adverse report from Mr Specture.
Captain Plod suggested that the POR directors increase the frequency of Red wine case shipments to Mr Specture to some what pacify him.
The board thought this was a brilliant suggestion and added that an extra case will be also sent to the board room with each shipment.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:35 am

Fantastic photos! It's hard to tell that one of Taliesin emerging from the cutting isn't the real thing, absolutely brilliant!