Starting my "garden" railway

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Starting my "garden" railway

Post by chris_lucas » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi everyone :D , I'm just getting into garden railways but there's one problem, my mom doesn't like gardening and she probably won't appreciate a railway in her garden :P.
So here's my solution, build a field railway 8) , So I can lay down track how I want and remove it when I'm done steaming :P .
I bought a Mamod SL1 of eBay and a lot of antique 0 gauge track and they will probably arrive next week.
Here's a pic that pretty much explains what a field railway is.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Good that your making a start Chris, things can always develop later on.
Grant.

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:01 pm

LNR:120975 wrote:Good that your making a start Chris, things can always develop later on.
Grant.
Yup, and with prices of old tracks being really low I can always expand it. :D
Is there a place where I can get 0 gauge wagons that aren't too expensive. ;)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Chris,

If you want to play around with track plans check out www.anyrail.com

You can download a free version that is limited to 50 pieces of track but should be enough for you to have a play around with ideas.

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Piotr Bein:120981 wrote:Chris: how do you pick up the last piece of track? :)

Inexpensive rolling stock: https://piotrbein.wordpress.com/2016/11 ... materials/

If you think mom is an obstacle to your empire, wait till you are married LOL

Tell your mom that nice guys like myself :P on this forum like your idea, support your hobby (better than smoking dope and watching stupid TV) and will come from time to time to help weed out the garden while playing trains with Chris :)))
Depending on the length and complexity of your layout, you may decide one day that taking it down every time does not make sense.

It looks like female fear of the unknown, perhaps subconscious fear/inability to let her don go on his own. Or else why would your mom care when she is not a gardener? My wife is... she was vehemently against everything I did to start the hobby 3 yrs ago... Now she loves some of the things that arose (e.g. two ponds in the garden which she loves) and is proud of me upon hearing praise of people at shows etc. She happily takes part in the joys of kids when they come to play in my empire.

She also acquired trust in my ability to fix things around the house (which I attend to immediately, dropping my project).
After a year of territorial quarrels, we made a deal that everything adjacent to the layout is my responsibility, incl. watering and weeding.  

Try these incentives in the beginning -- which mother would not like her son to succeed... You will learn useful things in the process, get to know outstanding people  and become a real man -- I mean railway man :)
As you think budget from start, you will not lose financially, either. Other boys spend hard-earned money on silliness like latest gadgets, apps and computer games.
Had I your scale stuff, I would not hesitate to give you something for a good start.
You will be fine, just perservere. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply, I will definitely use those arguments also by using temporary tracks first she might get used to it having a railway in her garden :P. As for the rolling stock I'll have a look around fairs and other events for some wagons. :D
I'll keep you guys updated :)

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:18 pm

tom_tom_go:120988 wrote:Hi Chris,

If you want to play around with track plans check out www.anyrail.com

You can download a free version that is limited to 50 pieces of track but should be enough for you to have a play around with ideas.
Thanks, it's a really usefull program I only have 49 pieces of track at home so the trial version will do fine for me. :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Starting my "garden" railway

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:21 am

chris_lucas:120974 wrote:Hi everyone :D , I'm just getting into garden railways but there's one problem, my mom doesn't like gardening and she probably won't appreciate a railway in her garden
Sounds like the perfect solution. Building a railway in the garden is a great way for you to get out there and tame the wilderness. I'm sure if I didn't have the railway, our garden would be lawn and very little else.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:27 am

I wish I had your space Rik!

philipy

Re: Starting my "garden" railway

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 am

ge_rik:121017 wrote: Sounds like the perfect solution. Building a railway in the garden is a great way for you to get out there and tame the wilderness. I'm sure if I didn't have the railway, our garden would be lawn and very little else.
I agree with Rik. I had no interest in gardening my whole life and before I started the railway it was more or less as it was when moved in 15 years previously. Since then I've learned a whole lot about plants and it's a real pleasure to see it all mature around the railway.
Philip

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 pm

That's a really nice garden/railway you've got there Rik, would love to have such a big garden. :D
My tracks arrived saturday and my SL1 will arive friday :) .
Is this good or compatible with my 0 gauge?
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Hudson-tipper-wa ... SwBw5XRWTY
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Festiniog-flat-w ... SwOdpX1QrR

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm

tut mothers  :roll:

I begged and pleaded with mine when I lived at my mum's, there was a perfect spot for one out the way of everything else the back garden but she was adamant.

In the end I bullied (nicely) to have one when me and my missus moved in together.

I'll look forward to seeing the results.

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:46 pm

This came into my mail today :D
Had to put the chimney back on and tested her on air. :)

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:55 pm

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Piotr Bein:121138 wrote:Your Baby :)))
Looks and sounds great, runs (in air) better than it looks.
How much are they, will they go up 3% grade?
Easy to fire?
Thanks :D, I payed £180 for mine and I think they will make a 3% grade but I'm not sure :lol:, mine uses solid fuel to run and newer mamods use butane gas or spirits.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Congratulations Chris, welcome to the world of live steam. That's a great start, bet your well pleased.
Grant.

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Piotr Bein:121145 wrote:I want one for Xmas :reindeer: provided it could climb 3% w. a couple of wagons.  
Now you need coaling stages/towers and water towers at each end of your line.
Sylvian shows a handsome coaling platform he built:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftop ... asc-30.php

In a separate thread I will show how I made water towers for locos, once I fix photo quality problem.
Thank you for the link :D, 1 month left till christmas :santa:, I'm getting some wagons 3D printed and I will be looking around for free slate :P.
LNR:121157 wrote:Congratulations Chris, welcome to the world of live steam. That's a great start, bet your well pleased.
Grant.
Thank you Grant :D, I've got a small collection of stationary and mobile engines but this is my first locomotive and I'm very pleased with it. :)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:44 pm

chris_lucas:120978 wrote:Is there a place where I can get 0 gauge wagons that aren't too expensive. ;)
(jumps on hobbyhorse)

There are lots of inexpensive kits you can acquire - not down to £15 but good value.

You could do worse than starting here: http://www.ip-engineering.co.uk/acatalo ... Range.html

or

http://www.hglw.co.uk/ which is also another source of inexpensive rolling stock and locos.

There's also a fellow called Phil Sharples who also does "stuff"

Pop into Budget Boulevard at Peterborough next year (8th April) and you'll find your heart's desire!

(jumps off hobbyhorse)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Little update!  :D
I started work on some inexpensive rolling stock.
I also ran in the garden which was a disaster :lol:, because most of my rails where bend and it derailed most of the time.

chris_lucas
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chris_lucas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:55 pm

More progress made :D

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi Chris are you using lolly sticks or cutting your own timber and are you free lancing the design?
Looks a sweet design and layout

Steph :)
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊