Mountaineer

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Mountaineer

Post by williamfj » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:09 pm

I am now the proud owner of this modified Steamcraft Mountaineer which has had some modifications, chief among which was the fitting of Roundhouse cylinders and slip eccentric valve gear. She ran well, and I think as I run her more and learn her foibles she'll get better. While she might not be as detailed as Roundhouse's recent model of Mountaineer this one looks like Mountaineer and is something a bit special.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Not a bad looking loco, the valve gear looks very chunky, which I like! Look forward to seeing more of her :-)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:56 am

Its nice to see a one of David Taylor's engines still running. It does show that even older locos can be resurrected with a heavy overhaul.
I agree that it is not as detailed as the R/H version but it is a product of the early days of the hobby and reflects the Alco as it was at the time.

Some Steamcraft locos were not that well built and did have some rather odd design quirks but they can run okay and with a bit of TLC last well.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Mountaineer

Post by RSB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:40 pm

[quote="williamfj:119890"]I am now the proud owner of this modified Steamcraft Mountaineer which has had some modifications, chief among which was the fitting of Roundhouse cylinders and slip eccentric valve gear. She ran well, and I think as I run her more and learn her foibles she'll get better. While she might not be as detailed as Roundhouse's recent model of Mountaineer this one looks like Mountaineer and is something a bit special.
/quote]

I purchased David Taylor's own Mountaineer a few years ago, and although the burner is rather loud the loco steams well, and does have the added features of water pump and mechanical lubricator.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 pm

The burner on mine is very quiet, as she is fitted with a meths burner, and the water pump was replaced with an enots valve. While she might never be a concours winner she shines when running which for me is what matters.