Full Size Railways

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Full Size Railways

Post by SapperAnt » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:50 am

I was just wondering how many of us on this forum have our railways as "Bus Men's Holidays" or are volunteers on the real thing? I suspect quite a high number!

I'm a fireman on Planet at MOSI. She's my little baby :D

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Whilst I have a great affection for steam and a huge respect for everyone connected with their restoration and running, I have little personal interest in seeing or using them. This is probably odd to some but my main interest is model making of something resembling them.
I have said in previous posts that I have no understanding of their mechanics or how railway systems operate, just the fascination of models moving in a landscape satisfies me.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm

I vounteer at the Dean Forest Railway, Ticket inspector, Crossing Keeper, Guard, that sort of thing, hoping to move up to loco crew later on this year. :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:24 pm

I work as a pway Technician for NR on the cambrian coast/aber lines.

Stewart

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:34 pm

I used to work on the Western diesels at the Severn Valley, and then as a painter, fireman and driver at the Festiniog and Welsh Highland railways. Nowadays if I want to drive an NGG16 or Lilla I go out in the garden.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:30 pm

When I took early retirement after spending 31 years as a train driver, then latterly instructor/assessor based at Leeds, I spent a time working for West Coast Railways based at Carnforth, driving 37s, 47, 57s etc. I dont any more..... :shock:

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Like Stewart I'm a Pway man for NR by proffesion. I've been in maintenance and currently earn a living as a renewals engineer.

I also volunteer for the Great Central and Bluebell railways, mainly as a Signalman but, having always beleived in giving something back, I also do what I can on the pway side too for both lines. I've been a Guard too in the past, covered movements inpsectors jobs and currently hold an inspectors position on the GC.

Sapperant, we may have passed each other without knowing if you came to the GCR with the loco a couple of years ago.

Danny, most of us in the Traffic Departmen t would see moving on to the loco department as a demotion! :shock: I've never been interested in getting involved in footplate work - I spent enough time in that location as a Guard, Movements Inspector and Pilotman to have had my fill and more!

I love the soliltude and challenges of the goods brake (provided it's a good van that rides well and the bloke at the front end isn't heavy handed with the 'go lever' or brake). You've got to go a long way though to beat the peace and quiet of a signalbox on a quiet mid week day or (even better) a late turn.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm a volunteer fireman and trainee driver on the East Lancashire Railway. I'm passed out to drive 08/09s. I also do other work and jobs around the shed as required.

My volunteer duties do often clash with my modelling and get in the way of progressing the building of a line and making rolling stock.

Ian

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:15 pm

For the last 1 1/2 years I've been on the staff of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, in a variety of temporary roles. My main expertise is P-way, guarding and now shunter driver, but I have also worked in the booking office (and still do occasionally) and also alas as loo cleaner for both Ravenglass and Dalegarth. My job has also occasionally had me lighting up or disposing of steam engines as well.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm the first in my family in a century to NOT work for a railroad at some point.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:57 am

Back in the '80s I worked for Travellers Fare for about 8 years, not sure if that counts??!
Philip

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm a station-master and chief-conductor at the "Krøderbanen". This is a standard gauge line with a 2-8-0 tender loco, a small 0-4-0 saddletank engine, and a few diesel tractors and railcars. The trains runs every sunday during summer from end of June untill end of August.
Most of the staff is volounteers.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:17 pm

I'd love to be involved in restoration work, but I'm stretched as it is.... still find time though to further my bucket-list quest to visit/revisit all ng railways in the UK and Ireland (12" gauge and over). I hadn't realised there were so many! Originally I wanted to  visit them all ( inc miniature railways) but there are over 500! By limiting the scope to 12" and over my target is a more realistic 200 ish. Visited around 80 so far, 120 ish to go!

See http://ngruk.blogspot.co.uk

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm in the same position as Peter B. in that I'm not affiliated with any 1:1 railroads in a volunteer capacity. I enjoy watching the real deal when I come across them but for the most part my involvement is just at the modelling level in my own backyard. :)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Ex long time FR volunteer, I was a 'Bramble' for those who remember us.
I have done a bit with the KESR when I used to go on holiday down there and I occasionally go and lay track with the TVR when I have a spare day.

I have nothing but admiration for those who keep our preserved lines going, particularly the smaller concerns like the TVR.

However I have given up my involvement with various other preservation/enthusiast movements (classic vehicles) due to internal politics and general bitchiness. I want to enjoy my hobbies, If I want aggro I will stay in work.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Soar Valley Light:118869 wrote: Danny, most of us in the Traffic Departmen t would see moving on to the loco department as a demotion! :shock: I've never been interested in getting involved in footplate work - I spent enough time in that location as a Guard, Movements Inspector and Pilotman to have had my fill and more!
Haha yeah a lot of people say that however I only ever got into the Ops dept. because I couldn't go on the loco when I joined - I can now but I'm finishing up my Ops stuff first! :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Big Jim:118887 wrote:I was a 'Bramble' for those who remember us.
So was I! From 1971 to 1976, although I never went on an FR camp and it was only 20 years later that I became involved at the FR.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:08 am

The old man and I would love to work on the K1 or NGG16's; I tried to get work experience on the maintenance side but ultimately (and perhaps obviously) they didn't bite.