Announcing the closure of the PMR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Big Jim

Announcing the closure of the PMR

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Due to an imminent house move and career change the PMR is to be officially closed with immediate effect. Its short working life and short length of track has meant that it was never profitable and has in recent times been to all intents and purposes abandoned.

The passenger traffic that the lines owner, The Hon. Titus A. Duxars, had wanted to encourage failed to materialise. Specials run during the Welsh Haggis hunting season (opens 30th Feb) and day trips to the local Oosalem Bird sanctuary proved less than popular.

Freight traffic dwindled despite plans to run train loads of Rocking Horse manure to the local town for the benefit of the local farmers. The final nail in the coffin was the closure of the local factory who made radiators for the original VW Beetle. Traffic from the nearby doughnut hole works had ended several months before.

The railway rolling stock will be maintained by the preservation society. It is hoped that it may run again soon.

The employees, Dai Rear, Dai Anna, Dai Eighteen-Months, Dai Verse, Dai Agonal, Big Dai, Little Dai, Not-as-big-as-big-Dai Dai, Dai Sulphate and Dai Agramme and others have been  trooping their way to the local labour exchange.  Rumours have circulated that several  of the men have been seen in the local record shop buying 1970's disco albums and practising the rapid removal of their trousers. The local sheep are very worried, but I wish them well.

(for more information on this nefarious little line, search for my other PMR threads)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Announcing the closure of the PMR

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:13 pm

Big Jim:118674 wrote:Due to an imminent house move and career change the PMR is to be officially closed with immediate effect. Its short working life and short length of track has meant that it was never profitable and has in recent times been to all intents and purposes abandoned.

The passenger traffic that the lines owner, The Hon. Titus A. Duxars, had wanted to encourage failed to materialise. Specials run during the Welsh Haggis hunting season (opens 30th Feb) and day trips to the local Oosalem Bird sanctuary proved less than popular.

Freight traffic dwindled despite plans to run train loads of Rocking Horse manure to the local town for the benefit of the local farmers. The final nail in the coffin was the closure of the local factory who made radiators for the original VW Beetle. Traffic from the nearby doughnut hole works had ended several months before.

The railway rolling stock will be maintained by the preservation society. It is hoped that it may run again soon.

The employees, Dai Rear, Dai Anna, Dai Eighteen-Months, Dai Verse, Dai Agonal, Big Dai, Little Dai, Not-as-big-as-big-Dai Dai, Dai Sulphate and Dai Agramme and others have been  trooping their way to the local labour exchange.  Rumours have circulated that several  of the men have been seen in the local record shop buying 1970's disco albums and practising the rapid removal of their trousers. The local sheep are very worried, but I wish them well.

(for more information on this nefarious little line, search for my other PMR threads)
Sad news when a line closes. At least it can't be blamed on Beeching this time.

Unlike your 'little' counterpart, at least it hasn't 'fallen in the water' (apologies to anyone under that age of 60)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:51 pm

At least it's not been dreaded again!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Sad news when a railway closes. Do you think you'll have a chance soon to set back up?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Nothing permanent for the next two years at least.
After that, hopefully a nice vicarage with a big garden and who knows.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Big Jim:118683 wrote:Nothing permanent for the next two years at least.
After  that, hopefully a nice vicarage with a big garden and who knows.
Trepolpen Light Railway revisited??
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Sad news for the PMR Jim, but a positive career move.
Your input to the Forum has been most welcome and hopefully will continue, even if the material aspect is temporarily on hold. Your enthusiasm will prevail and when you have the opportunity I'm sure you will return.
Before you move on we must meet up again so you can relax your stock into temporary storage mode.
Historically there are so many who have followed a similar calling and remained committed to railways and modelling that I feel confident your name will be amongst them in the future.
I wish you and your family all the very best for the future and am proud to be your friend.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 am

Have enjoyed your comments Jim, good luck with the career and move, and I hope there is a new railway in your future somewhere down the line.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks for the support folks.
Rik, Trepolpen, that is something to aspire to.

I am sure that something will be built down the line. The house in Cardiff that we have rented would be ideal for a rsilway. Large flat garden with outbuildings, but with only 20 months there. I won't have a chance to do anything except build stock. I hope to be able to visit a few lines while down there.

Peter, I will contact you re a meet up, prior to the mothballing of the stock.

Cheers
Jim

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Best wishes on your future, Jim.
Clergymen and railways seem to go together, so I'm sure you'll find the ways and means one day. :lol:
Philip

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Announcing the closure of the PMR

Post by MDLR » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Big Jim:118674 wrote:The employees, Dai Rear, Dai Anna, Dai Eighteen-Months, Dai Verse, Dai Agonal, Big Dai, Little Dai, Not-as-big-as-big-Dai Dai, Dai Sulphate and Dai Agramme and others have been  trooping their way to the local labour exchange.
Seeing Not-as-big-as-big-Dai Dai in there makes me wonder if there's another Terry Pratchett fan amongst us.............

I hope the railway gets revived in due course - at least building stock will keep your hand in.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 pm

very sad news you can always build lots of stock and make buildings ready for when you get a more permanent place .keep in touch tough please big jim

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Don't worry (or worry depending on your viewpoint) I am not abandoning the forum.

I hope to get a load of half done jobs finished. Including things as diverse as a fully interlocked lever frame (Dad went berserk with a small windfall and spent a lot of money at Model Signal Engineering many years ago and never built the bloody thing) , the merlin rebuild, loads of odd wagons and I do have somewhere the remains of an internal combustion powered loco that may be dug out of storage fiddled with and abandoned once again. (anyone built a 16mm scale pulse jet engine yet?)

I am certain that the PMR in all its idiosyncratic nature will be revised at some point. I don't want to see the staff unemployed for too long, they might start to like it. Maybe a rake of wagons for the rocking horse manure traffic will be built, just in case there is a resurgence in demand.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:23 am

Jim, I had assumed hopefully that you would not be abandoning the forum, as that would be Dai-abolical!!!
Coat and hat I know.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 am

Oh dear

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:52 am

Cardiff eh? Not all is lost - you could join the Cardiff Model Engineering Society, they have a very pleasant 32mm garden railway on an island amidst the 5in and 7in gauge running area. :)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Jim and myself spent a day with the CMES on one of their open days and a very friendly lot they are too!
The 16mm railway is well laid out and we made full use of it whilst there. I think Jim will soon be a regular user when living so close to such a facility, especially the library and workshop, and the railway too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:07 pm

If they will have me!

I am hoping that there may be offers to run on other lines as well (hint hint)

It looks like I will have fairly long periods of leave, certainly next summer and if the move goes off when it should I will have over a month before college starts. So there may be modelling time. The shed will be moving with me, although the current wife doesn't know this yet.

I wonder if I could do my thesis on the role of the clergy in railway preservation and model railways??? :lol:

probably not but you never know.