Peckforton Light Railway - Setting up a session

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Peckforton Light Railway - Setting up a session

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 15, 2016 11:04 pm

I've been experimenting with stop-action video again. Thought you might be interested in my latest effort .....

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uReRI1_Qdh8?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uReRI1_Qdh8?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 am

Oh! what a superb video Rik, boy the head shunter really knows his stuff, un-coupling everything so quickly ;) ;) . The placement of the copper mine buildings was like a scenery change on a theatre stage, greenery one minute, busy industrial scene the next. I see the timber sidings in the whole picture now.
I also feel much better knowing that someone else is darting around their backyard carrying strange loads on a running day. I've often wondered what someone looking over my fence, would think!
Grant.
Last edited by LNR on Mon May 16, 2016 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Mon May 16, 2016 6:30 am

Rik, excellent video. Lots of inspiration there. Obviously the head shunter is so quick because he is assisted by a very nifty combined shunter's pole and point lever :) . What is it?
Regards
Rob

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 16, 2016 8:31 am

robc_wa:118081 wrote:Rik, excellent video. Lots of inspiration there.  Obviously the head shunter is so quick because he is assisted by a very nifty combined shunter's pole and point lever :)  . What is it?
Regards
Rob
Hi Rob
At the start of the video I was using a metal tri-square as I couldn't find one of my usual uncoupling tools - a plastic plant label.

It fits in the back pocket, the blunt end is just right for LGB hook and loop couplings (which I retain, although ugly they are reliable) and the pointy end is useful for hoiking rubbish out from point blades and check rails. You'll see I had to do this a few times at the start of the video.

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 am

Brilliant video, well done Rik :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 am

Love it Rik!

If you convert that to Black and White it would a little like a good old slapstick comedy!

The great thing is that the video shows the scale of your line, love how the stations are tucked away from each other, gives a real sense of your line serving different destinations. Also love the prototypical operation.

Really enjoyed it!

Cheers

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 am

I enjoyed the video too.
When I have two knees available (one is presently out of use :x ) I enjoy setting up my railway and its not a chore. This also allows the railway set up to get changed around from time to time. Most of my buildings spend most of the time stowed away but my railway is very firmly set into the ground. (check out my website below) This makes the requirement for two efficient knees to be more of a necessity.
Also as I don't have a connection with indoor storage sidings, my rolling stock takes a bit longer to organise.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 16, 2016 10:53 am

Just wonderful Rik.... that shows the extent of your railway and how well it integrates with the garden. I'm amazed by the amount of stock you have there, it seems I should spend more time building, although I don't have the sidings capacity that you do and I might just get everything in a tangle. Your garage appears to be endless!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon May 16, 2016 8:04 pm

I never realised how much setup and pack up you have to do Rik for each running session!

Thanks for sharing, wish my garage was as big as your one :roll:

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon May 16, 2016 8:45 pm

That's very different and very intersting Rik. Another aspect of the hobby that isn't often considered. You are clearly well practised and well organised in this task. Nice to see the train list in your hand. :D
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 pm

That's very impressive! All that shunting before anything actually "happens", and not a single derailment!

Thanks for a very interesting little film,

Andrew.

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Tue May 17, 2016 11:27 am

Thank You Rik for this enjoyable video. :D
What is time spent in real time to put all the stuff into place before running the trains? Thought about this now after visiting your garden last autumn.
And how long time to put all trains and stuff back into garage and boxes?
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Peter Butler:118091 wrote:Just wonderful Rik....  that shows the extent of your railway and how well it integrates with the garden.   I'm amazed by the amount of stock you have there, it seems I should spend more time building, although I don't have the sidings capacity that you do and I might just get everything in a tangle.     Your garage appears to be endless!
I've probably gone for quantity rather than quality. I wish my stock was as well detailed as yours. I wanted to have enough stock to be able to run a reasonably realistic freight service for five stations - so some of my stock has been mass produced (eg resin cast open wagons) which are OK but not as detailed as your bespoke plasticard models.

I've now reached the maximum capacity of my three storage roads in the garage - but I probably now have just enough stock for reasonably realistic freight handling on the line (unless of course I extend it ...... :? )

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 17, 2016 12:53 pm

KjellAn:118122 wrote:Thank You Rik for this enjoyable video.  :D
What is time spent in real time to put all the stuff into place before running the trains? Thought about this now after visiting your garden last autumn.
And how long time to put all trains and stuff back into garage and boxes?
Hi Kjell
This setting up session took just under an hour and a half, but that's because it was the first proper session of the season. Normally, I don't need to spend quite so long brushing down the station areas and the goods stock will have gone into the garage in the order in which it was retrieved from the outlying stations and so there's not the need to label and assemble the distribution goods train.

A normal setting up session is usually between 40 mins and an hour

Rik
PS - Putting away is much quicker - about 30 mins usually
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Andrew:118115 wrote:That's very impressive! All that shunting before anything actually "happens", and not a single derailment!

Thanks for a very interesting little film,

Andrew.
I wish........! You may notice there were a few occasions when I had to rerail stock. No matter how carefully I try to hoik out debris from the point blades I find there's some rolling stock which loves to seek out that one grain of sand between the blade and the stock rail and prise them apart. Once I've run a train or two things settle down. In the running session which followed (which took a day and a half to work through a "day's" timetable), I had only four derailments and those tended to be from stock running over or catching on overhanging plant stems. Mind you, it doesn't always work like that - some days are ..........!!!! #@**!!! per minute days!

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Soar Valley Light:118111 wrote:That's very different and very intersting Rik. Another aspect of the hobby that isn't often considered. You are clearly well practised and well organised in this task. Nice to see the train list in your hand. :D
Courtesy of my home grown freight management program - http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2015/04 ... puter.html

Rik
------------------------